Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Fuller's London Pride
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris.beard82

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Beer Gas Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi Kal.

I have a few batches under my belt now and have decided to go down the 70/30 beer gas route when i keg this beer in a few weeks. Curious about the keg pressures used when conditioning, do you have any advice? Do you use the same 'volumes' figure as with CO2 and how does this correlate to pressure, do you have to multiply the keg pressure by 3.33 seeing as the CO2 percentage in beer gas is 30%?

P.S. you helped me out a fair bit last year when i was building the controller, all has worked fantastically since i set it up in our new house in the spring so thanks again for the help.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

I don't (usually use any keg pressure (no CO2) at all when conditioning beers that will go on a nitro/CO2 blended line. I hook up to the nitro/CO2 blend when ready to serve and let it carb up that way. If you like, you can pre-carb using only CO2 but make sure not to over-carb as otherwise you'll only get foam when you serve. Correct that if 30% of the gas is CO2 then you'd need to set your pressure 100/30 = 3.33 times higher to get the same resulting CO2 carb level. That said, I find it's too high when pushed with Nitro/CO2 blend, so I'd exercise caution. Every time I took a keg that was already carb'ed up with 100% CO2 and tried serving it on the nitro/CO2 line all I would get is foam. So less CO2 is obviously required in solution for it to work well and get that cascading effect and thick foamy head.

Every beer is different too - I find with my 10% Russian Imperial Stout that I can place it at 5 PSI near 32F for about 7 days on straight CO2 and then move it to the nitro/CO2 serving line and it's perfectly carb'ed and I get a nice pour. However, I tried that with a 5% Irish Red Ale and it was overcarb'ed. So ABV plays a role in here too somewhere. To make life simpler I usually just keg the beer and hook it up to the Nitro/CO2 line and let it carb that way from flat. This way I never overcarb.

Good luck! Glad to hear your control panels working well!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
chris.beard82

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal, sounds like a bit of trial and error, will give it a go when i get my next brew kegged.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Chris!

I find most beers take at least a couple of weeks to become less "green" after kegging, so hooking them up to Nitro/CO2 immediately after kegging while in the fridge or keezer usually results in perfectly carbonated beer for me at the same time that the beer's ready to be consumed.

Of course, every beer is different - lagers can take longer to mellow out and condition properly (though I don't tend to put those on Nitro/CO2) and some high ABV beers like a Russian Imperial Stout can take a month or two... YMMV!

Kal

chris.beard82

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: 70/30 keg pressure Reply with quote

I was still a little uncertain about the best approach to storing and serving this ale so i emailed the brewery to ask for their input, they kindly replied with everything that i needed so thought i would share the correspondence in case it helps anyone else:

My question:
Hello. I am a big fan of London Pride (after living for many years around the corner from the Chiswick brewery) and i am putting it on tap in my home bar. I was wondering if you could tell me the keg equilibrium pressure that i should set the regulator to when using 70/30 mixed beer gas at cellar temperature (11-13C)?
Any help would be appreciated so i can pour the perfect pint at home!
Kind regards,
Chris Beard.

Their reply:
Hi Chris
Our preferred dispense gas for Keg London Pride is 60/40 gas set at 24-26 psi
Which will be the same on 30/70 gas as well.
Thanks
Stuart

Interesting that they recommend 60/40 everything that i have ready on the subject says that is for cider and lagers and 70/30 should be used for ales, stouts etc....
jimboh

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a noob at all grain, I have 4 5 gal batches so far all in a Grainfather and all using Nottingham dry yeast.
Was heading out to get the ingredients for London pride tomorrow and was struck by the call for 4 packs of yeast. I have only ever used 1 pack for 5 gals so assumed I would be using twice as much for my first 10 gal brew in my new Electric Brewery setup. The liquid yeast isn't cheap either.
If it is correct at 4 packs, is this a good time to start harvesting the yeast as I hope the London Pride will be a regular brew?
I will use two Fastferments to do the 10 Gal so can remove the ball to 'Harvest', although will need to read up on this process first.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimboh wrote:
If it is correct at 4 packs, is this a good time to start harvesting the yeast as I hope the London Pride will be a regular brew?
I will use two Fastferments to do the 10 Gal so can remove the ball to 'Harvest', although will need to read up on this process first.

Yeast pitch rate is a controversial subject. 4 packs, in my eyes, and in the eyes of many is what would be optimal. Pitching the right amount of yeast ensures a healthy fermentation, results in less off flavours, and so on. You can make beer with 1 cell instead of the 100 billion cells in a vial/smack-pack but it'll take longer, you'll have more off-flavours and so on.

I suggest making a starter: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30668

Kal

jimboh

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the speedy response Kal, will get reading.
jimboh

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This recipe calls for Wy 1968 or Wlp002, so would 1 pack of 1968 and the dry malt be all that is required, and would the resultant yeast be sufficient for 10G? If so the equipment will soon pay for itself.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you make starts you always start with 1 pack and simply make more yeast by fermenting it in wort, usually made with dry malt extract (through you can use any wort really). How "big" the starter is depends on how many cells you want. Higher gravity beers require more yeast as do lagers. I hope to eventually write a guide on this but there are many available, including Chapter 6 of How to Brew and Appendix A of Brewing Classic Styles. Good luck!

Kal

jcav

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal, eyeing this recipe for next month's brew day. What would you recommend to substitute for the Northdown hops? Seems like everyone is out of them. Thanks for your time!

John

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcav wrote:
Hi Kal, eyeing this recipe for next month's brew day. What would you recommend to substitute for the Northdown hops? Seems like everyone is out of them. Thanks for your time!

I'd use UK Challenger Hops. Enjoy the beer!

Kal

jcav

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will!

John

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal, I was able to get my hands on some real English Northdown hops and they came in the mail today! A member who goes by EnglishAndy on HBT hooked me up with a link to the "Croomsmyloof Brewery" in the Uk, who supplies many people over there with all different kinds of hops. They are on E-bay UK here is a link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100g-Hop-Pellets-70-Varieties-eg-Citra-Cascade-Fuggles-Saaz-Mosaic-Columbus-Brew/263182583449?hash=item3d46e78699:m:mcOqobTg4KGn3nKiynHQbGw&afsrc=1&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true&rmvSB=true&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&siteid=3&campid=5336652980&toolid=20008&mkevt=1

Steven from the brewery is a great guy he asked what I was brewing and he wished me great success. He also let me know when the package went to the post office and he advised if there was anything wrong with my package when it arrived that he would fix it right away. I sent him a pic of my Kal Clone brewery and he loved it and commented how nice it was for a home brewery. He said it was a real "Cracker"! He said many people in Canada also order from him, so I thought I'd post it here for anyone who wants to get hops that are hard to get in America or Canada (or anywhere for that matter).

I am really looking forward to brewing this recipe next week on Sat Nov 11th!

Cheers!

John

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the brew John!

Northdown is also available here:

https://www.amazon.com/s/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&field-keywords=northdown%20hops&linkCode=ur2&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Anorthdown%20hops&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&url=search-alias%3Daps&linkId=MSYA376TIMBCO4YD

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=15121&creative=390961&field-keywords=northdown%20hops&linkCode=ur2&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Anorthdown%20hops&tag=theelecbrew-20&url=search-alias%3Daps

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&field-keywords=Northdown%20Hops&linkCode=ur2&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ANorthdown%20Hops&tag=theelectricbrewery-21&url=search-alias%3Daps

http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/UK_Northdown_Hop_Pellets_1_oz_p/hops-northdown-uk.htm?Click=3715

Kal

Last edited by kal on Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
jcav

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal, brewed this one today and pitched the yeast at 3:18 pm. Beautiful day in Florida, smooth as silk brew day, and I hit my numbers exactly on this batch. Got her really dialed in now. Smelled awesome and I am looking forward to tasting this is beer!

John

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Glad to hear the brew day went well. Let us know how it turns out!

Kal

jcav

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, just tapped this one today. When I kegged it a week ago I sampled it flat (like I always do for every beer I make) and wow I could drink this beer flat with no carbonation! I let it carb for a week in my conditioning fridge at very low carbonation and I tried it today. This is such a wonderful English beer! When it warms up in the glass the complexity really shines and the balance of nice English hops really prop up the malt and I love the finish. Another great recipe! Smooth as could be and very tasty! Thanks!

John

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great John! Glad to hear you’re enjoying it. I have a smack pack of WY1968 in the fridge myself and think this will be the beer for it...

Kal

Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also love this beer and so does every one of my friends, along with the ESB. I use a starter and make 10 gallons of the Pride, then after primary fermentation, I brew 10 gallons of the ESB, rack the Pride over to secondary, then rack the ESB I just brewed into the Pride primary bucket with the yeast still in it. It's a great way to brew these two beers back to back and save a little cash. Two great beers, one yeast cake.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: