Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Electric Hop Candy (New England IPA / NEIPA)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
huhwha

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
That dry hop at high krausen makes a beautiful mess!

hopcandy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  197.2 KB
 Viewed:  18517 Time(s)

hopcandy.jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly does!

Here's a series of shots from my last one: https://www.instagram.com/p/BZuNWlogU5i/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brewed this one up for the first time on saturday, two days ago. some comments:

- missed my pre-boil gravity by seven points, i have never missed a gravity target by that much. reviewed my process and didn't do anything different than i normally do and am consistently within a point or two. same crush as normal, 90 minute mash, 10 minute mashout 75 minute sparge. if anything, i thought my gravity would be a touch high since the pid was indicating 150 as the mash temp for the longest time. it was 152 at the top of the bed, must have taken a while to heat through the whole bed. it was at 152 about 20 minutes after mashing in so that doesn't seem like the problem. in any event, skipped a longer boil time in favor of adding some dry malt extract, hit 1.064 post-boil.

- first time doing a hop stand. used my old immersion chiller to cool, dropped the kettle down to 174 in about three minutes, very fast. i intended to stand at 170 vs 180 so i set my pid to that temp and let sit for a half hour. i don't think the heating element even fired during that time. started chilling and all was going well until i noticed a hot burnt smell. it was near the end of chilling and i realized what happened: i never turned my boil element off. i can only assume the kettle liquid dropped below the rtd and element, temp dropped below 170 and the element fired. took the kettle lid off to be greeted by a wonderful charred smell and a jet-black element. not wanting to risk transferring any scorched flavors/aromas to the chilled wort, i stopped filling the carboys. carboys smelled fine so disaster appeared diverted. scorched element impossible to clean. finally busted out a stainless pot scrubbie, that took the char off, not sure if element damaged.

- sunday night, i filled the boil kettle with 7 gallons of water and set about to get it boiling, to test the element. element heated up fine and there was a little scorched odor, must have been cooking off some more crud. i let it boil for about ten minutes and cleaned everything up. i'm satisfied with using it again.

- i added the biotransformation hops as krausen was starting on saturday mornuing, 12 hours after pitching. i am using 6 gal pet carboys and always have blowoff so my thought was it would be too hard to add hop pellets with the head space filled with krausen. as of last night, lots of krausen but only a little blow off and i went to bed with the carboys sounding like a machine gun with all the co2 coming out of the tubes and bubbling up through the blow off vessel.

- opened up my temp-controlled chest freezer fermentation chamber this morning to a blown carboy cap (cap still on carboy, just the little white cap blew off). hop debris on the bottom lid of the freezer and some beer at the bottom. crap. i only have dainty 3/8" tubing coming off my caps, not some giant 1" tube or something like that so that was my undoing. the tube on the blown carboy packed with hops. pull both carboys out of the freezer and cleaned it out. i use brew hauler straps so of course, those are full of hops/beer and need to be cleaned. took the cap off the blown carboy and the neck is packed with hops. pushed that down into the carboy, as well as on the one that din't blow (no hops in the tube but the neck was pretty tight). everything back together, we'll see how it goes...

despite these setbacks, beer smelled great this morning. i expect another couple days of heavy fermentation activity.[/list]
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsnotrequired wrote:
- missed my pre-boil gravity by seven points, i have never missed a gravity target by that much.

Maybe you mis-weighed one of the grains? (Ie: put in 15 but you thought you had 20?)

Quote:
if anything, i thought my gravity would be a touch high since the pid was indicating 150 as the mash temp for the longest time.

Mash temp doesn't affect gravity. It affects how fermentable the wort is.

Quote:
not wanting to risk transferring any scorched flavors/aromas to the chilled wort, i stopped filling the carboys. carboys smelled fine so disaster appeared diverted. scorched element impossible to clean. finally busted out a stainless pot scrubbie, that took the char off, not sure if element damaged.

Probably best you dumped the charred beer as it would have likely tasted like an ashtray.

Quote:
- i am using 6 gal pet carboys and always have blowoff so my thought was it would be too hard to add hop pellets with the head space filled with krausen.
- opened up my temp-controlled chest freezer fermentation chamber this morning to a blown carboy cap (cap still on carboy, just the little white cap blew off). hop debris on the bottom lid of the freezer and some beer at the bottom. crap. i only have dainty 3/8" tubing coming off my caps, not some giant 1" tube or something like that so that was my undoing.

I use 1/2" ID hose myself with domed lids on top of 7 gallon fermenters:

Complete details: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/ferment-and-package

With the 7 US gallon buckets filled to the 5.5 to 6 gallon mark I've actually never had any krausen enter the blowoff tubes which has been nice.

I don't find 6 gallon primary fermenters large enough, especially without any headspace. (Not just for this beer, but just about any beer). You can do it if you ferment a smaller amount, but then you end up with a keg that's 80% full.

Quote:
despite these setbacks, beer smelled great this morning.

The smell is one of the best parts! Cheers!

Kal

itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Maybe you mis-weighed one of the grains? (Ie: put in 15 but you thought you had 20?)

man, i'm racking my brain over that low gravity. i'm pretty meticulous about noting the amount i add as i go along but i suppose i could have gotten distracted and missed an amount. i was adding grain in 3 lb increments and took a look at beer smith, it just so happens that if i remove 3 lbs of 2-row from the recipe, calculated pre-boil gravity drops 7 points. hmm... Cross

Quote:
Mash temp doesn't affect gravity. It affects how fermentable the wort is.

you are right about that mash temp vs. gravity vs. ferment-ability, brain fart on my part.

Quote:
Probably best you dumped the charred beer as it would have likely tasted like an ashtray.

the element fired after the liquid level was below it so the liquid should be fine but i didn't want to risk any aroma crossing over. there wasn't that much left in the kettle anyway and i can't say i noticed any odor in the carboy (but that could be tough with all the hops)

Quote:

I use 1/2" ID hose myself with domed lids on top of 7 gallon fermenters:

With the 7 US gallon buckets filled to the 5.5 to 6 gallon mark I've actually never had any krausen enter the blowoff tubes which has been nice.

I don't find 6 gallon primary fermenters large enough, especially without any headspace. (Not just for this beer, but just about any beer). You can do it if you ferment a smaller amount, but then you end up with a keg that's 80% full.

oh, i knew i was pushing my luck with this one. why they don't make 6.5 gal pet carboy is beyond me but with a larger blow off tube, i probably wouldn't have had a problem. almost all my beers blow off but i have not had an issue with not being able to fill a keg all the way. last beer i did was a mild and even that had some blowoff, probably a function of putting too much wort in the carboy. i still had almost a growler of beer left over at kegging time, i think i'll reduce batch size on these smaller beers in the future.

anyway, the carboy is a short term game as i am eyeing up a conical for christmas Mr. Green

Quote:

The smell is one of the best parts! Cheers!

Kal

i stopped home at lunch time to check on everything, all good, seems like the worst of the krausen is behind me. smelled even better than it did this morning!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsnotrequired wrote:
kal wrote:

man, i'm racking my brain over that low gravity. i'm pretty meticulous about noting the amount i add as i go along but i suppose i could have gotten distracted and missed an amount. i was adding grain in 3 lb increments and took a look at beer smith, it just so happens that if i remove 3 lbs of 2-row from the recipe, calculated pre-boil gravity drops 7 points. hmm... Cross

There you go!

I weigh out in 5 lb increments and because I have the memory of a gnat and easily distracted, I always write down what I'm at on my recipe sheet in pen. Ex: 5, 10, 15, 20, etc.

Quote:
why they don't make 6.5 gal pet carboy is beyond me but with a larger blow off tube, i probably wouldn't have had a problem.

I don't even think that's big enough. Back when I used fermentation buckets, they were 7.8 US gallons (6.5 imperial) and that was perfect. So when I went stainless I knew I wanted the same size which meant adding domed lids on my 7 gallon stainless buckets. So far so good - I get some krausen sometimes on the inside of the domed lid but so far nothing up the blow-off tube.
I want to keep those hops in the beer where they belong!

Quote:
i stopped home at lunch time to check on everything, all good, seems like the worst of the krausen is behind me. smelled even better than it did this morning!

Enjoy! Let us know how the finished beer turns out!

Kal

itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
There you go!

I weigh out in 5 lb increments and because I have the memory of a gnat and easily distracted, I always write down what I'm at on my recipe sheet in pen. Ex: 5, 10, 15, 20, etc.

Kal

i do the exact same thing but this time around, i just must have missed one. luckily, i had some dme on hand but not as much as i really needed, about 8 oz short. 8 oz would only get me a couple points anyway so i just boiled for about 5 minutes longer. ended up at 1.064 so can't complain...

even though i'm an all-grain guy, i have extract around for making starters but if folks don't go the starter route, can't hurt to have a little dme around for times like this!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. A pound or two of DME in a beer like this won't be noticed.

Kal

Fal

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a huge IPA fan, but this was easily one the best IPA that I've had. So good in fact that it makes going out to the bars to try new beer less fun. Other beers are so plain and flavorless now.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you liked it Fal!

Kal

braindead

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there
First post here and loving what you're doing.
Ive brewed a few NEIPA and going to give yours a try next for my Christmas brew.
Just need a lil help with water additions if thats ok

My current water profile.
Calcium 11.5
Magnesium 2.56
Sodium 13.1
Chloride 12.4
Sulphate 26.5

Ill be brewing a 5 gallon batch.
Excited to try this one

Thanks..BTW Unbelievable setup you have yourself there.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

braindead wrote:
Just need a lil help with water additions if thats ok

My current water profile.
Calcium 11.5
Magnesium 2.56
Sodium 13.1
Chloride 12.4
Sulphate 26.5

Your water's very soft (not much in it) so you shouldn't have any problems getting to the right numbers.
Take a look at my step by step water adjustment guide for exactly how to do that: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/water-adjustment

Glad to hear you're enjoying the site and thanks for the compliments. Good luck with the beer!

Kal

braindead

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a play around. Think ive got the additions worked out apart from the Calcium is 135 not 100??????

screen_shot_2017_11__1YBrF.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  screen_shot_2017_11__1YBrF.jpg
 Filesize:  237.23 KB
 Downloaded:  577 Time(s)

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll be fine - I wouldn't worry about it since calcium is essentially flavour neutral.

(It promotes clarity and flavour stability of the final beer. Affects enzymatic activity in the mash, protein coagulation during the boil and benefits yeast health. Typical brewing range is 50-150 ppm.)

Good luck!

Kal

braindead

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much appreciated thanks for your help
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

braindead wrote:
Had a play around. Think ive got the additions worked out apart from the Calcium is 135 not 100??????

I was just looking at my own spreadsheets for when I brewed this and just realized that I probably should have mentioned that while 100 is the target, with my brewing water (city tap water) I end up with Calcium at 122-123. Wink

It's a minor difference. Hope the brew went well!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewed this one again today.... a bunch of videos/pics:

Yeast starter on the way (from a few days ago): https://www.instagram.com/p/BdeOcu5hsvF/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery

HLT filled, water heating up: https://www.instagram.com/p/BdnHTLehQxI/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery

Half way through the ~90 min fly sparge and the HLT is nearly empty. The sparge water passes through the HERMS coil in its way to the MLT so that the coil is automatically cleaned. First Wort Hops have already been added to the boil kettle: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bdnmc2Fhw81/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery

Boil is done and the 30 min hopstand at 180F has started. I chilled slightly below 180F but no big deal - the control panel’s set to 180F so it’ll quickly heat back up and hold: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bdn1Rd0hHRF/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery

Filling the fermenters: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bdn5713BAtg/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery

Hit my numbers exactly. 1.065 already in the fermenters.

Cheers~!

Kal

dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really need to brew this! I really like a few of the NE IPA's I had this year.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
blazinlow86

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewed this a few days ago to the recipe exactly. 8 hours later the blowoffs were going like crazy so I added the first dryhops. Will report back in a few weeks
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye on it - the blowoffs tend to get even more crazy after you add hops!

Here's mine last night, 24 hours after adding hops (48 hours after I pitched the yeast): https://www.instagram.com/stories/theelectricbrewery/

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 6 of 12
Jump to: