Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Problem with amp meter

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtucker

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Problem with amp meter Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I built the Kal Kit about 6 months ago and just recently started having trouble with my amp meter. I've had a number of occasion where the meter will simply stop displaying the amperage or start displaying random lines. This evening I noticed that when I turn on the pumps alone I get no amperage reading. However, if I fired up and element I would see about 24 amps displayed and then if I fired up a pump along with the element I would see the amperage rise to 25.5 or so. This happened pretty consistently.

So, in summary it looks like no amperage displayed with only the pumps running, but it looks like I can see the pump amperage reflected in the total if I'm running the pump along with a heating element.

Any ideas as to what might be going on?

Other than the amperage display the system seems to run fine. It's a minor annoyance.

***** Follow up ****
I was playing with it a little more and saw more odd results. Still no amperage reading with just the pumps but when I turned on the heating element and the pump the amperage reading was sitting at 35+ amps. I only have a 30 amp circuit breaker so I'm pretty sure that's not right.

What do I need to replace the amp meter? The shunt? or both?

Roger Tucker
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger,

Sorry for the issues!

When the amp meter's not working right, what sort of voltage is it receiving from the power supply? Are you able to (carefully) measure this while it's running? Instead of measuring, you could swap the wires between the power supplies and meters just to confirm. If the problem moves to the voltmeter then you know it's a power supply issue (or a transformer issue). Now that said, it does sound like an amp meter issue (they're paired with the shunts so always sold together), but best to confirm the power supply/transformer just to be sure.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
rtucker

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. I checked the voltage on the power supply this morning. It's almost right at 5V, maybe a couple hundredths shy of that.

FWIW I tried to measure the resistance across the shunt as well as the voltage drop across the shunt. I'm guessing my meter is not accurate enough to measure those values accurately. I know those shunts are very low resistances. I got about .2 ohms and 0 volts across the shunt, but the lowest setting in my meter for AC is 200 v. If my math is right and ohm reading is right, that's only a .24 volt drop across the shunt. I'm not sure my meter is going to read that correctly.

I will try and swap out the power supplies as you suggest.

Roger Tucker
jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem to this; still haven't found the solution.
jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: Today I brewed for the first time in about 4 months; my amp meter used to oscillate, seemingly randomly, between normal operations and the blanked out/error screen. Today it never worked at all. I'm thinking about buying a new one and swapping it out to see if that's the problem...I don't relish the idea of swapping it with the volt meter as that seems like a lot of rewiring...maybe not though?

When did you buy your supplies? I wonder if there were some bad components going out?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jphussey wrote:
I don't relish the idea of swapping it with the volt meter as that seems like a lot of rewiring...maybe not though?

Simply swap the 2 output wires between the two power supplies to test. All it takes is a screwdriver. Should take 60 seconds.

Kal

jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, not a 60 second job given how awesomely I wired this thing, but I got the DC output wires swapped at the power supplies. I have nothing plugged in except the main power and after about 10 seconds of being turned on, the amp meter is back to acting up.

I've check all of the wires and they all seem well secured.

Thoughts? Bad amp meter perhaps?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. I'd replace the amp meter/shunt combo just to be sure.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: