Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Grain rising after recirc

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaunpycroft

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Grain rising after recirc Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Done a few brews now with the set up and after recirc and mashout after switching pumps off and swapping hoses for sparge the grain seems to rise up to the top of the mash water level? I then start sparging.is this detrimental or shouldn't I worry about it? Just seems odd? In fact the first couple of times it seemed to bubble up through the grain? Like real large bubbling not little air bubbles. Thanks

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the 'grain rise' happen a few times. Doesn't seem to affect anything.

P.S. welcome to the forum!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Shaunpycroft

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok sound cheers. Had some super clear wort into the fermenter now I've got a handle on my very mate nearly water!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more quick question, regarding sparging, is it as necessary to sparge for as long and slow as usual when using this herms system? I was thinking the herms is like a sparge in its self anyway, rinsing through the grain for the entirity of the mash. Just wondered. Thanks for the welcome btw cheers
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're fly sparging, then yes, you should spend a good 60-90 mins sparging to properly rinse the sugar from the grains and maximize mash efficiency. You can go shorter but your mash efficiency will be lower, requiring more grain to compensate. Up to you.

HERMS is simply a method of maintaining the mash temperature. It does not rinse the grain. The recirculation does however ensure that the grain is well soaked (no dry spots).

How you mash should not affect how long you fly sparge for.

For complete step by step details see: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/brew-day-step-by-step

Kal

itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've had the grain rise issue a few times as well. i've found stirring the 'floating' grain while sparging helps it fall out of suspension. sometimes i open the water pump valve up a bit to get more water depth on top of the grain bed, also helps with settling that grain.
Creepy

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a subject that has come up in multiple threads over the years. I've finally put a few batches under my belt and have had this same issue on every one. It's clear that the bed is compacting while I recirculate. However, I also get a drop in the level in the sight glass on my MLT. Before the recirc the sight glass reads as anticipated then once the pump is full throttle it drops all the way to the bottom. I've opened the gap on my mill to the widest it will go and is over .050. I assumed it was too fine but that hasn't fixed it. I also run the exact same equipment (kettle, false bottom, pumps) and hose lengths as Kal during my recirc. All this being said I've achieved 95% mash efficiency on the last two batches. I tend to abide by the mantra "if it ain't broke don't fix it." Should I be concerned with the significant sight glass level drop and the raising grain bed during sparge...?

Thanks and Cheers!
itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^i've had this happen as well, early on in the mash. i simply stirred the whole mash and the problem went away. no worries about the grain bed, the next 45+ minutes of recirs is plenty of time to re-establish a grain bed and clear the wort.
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the site glass dropping means the wort is all on top, just back off the ball valve until its in the correct place or stir like above, every batch is different and every set up is slightly different, don't listen to the people that say just open your valve all the way, you adjust based on "your" levels, in some brews it can be hard to manage

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick insight gents. I'll give the stirring a shot this weekend on brew day. I've attempted to throttle the pump and the level drops notably unless the pump is at a trickle. So I'm hoping stirring will solve my problem. Regardless I've never noticed any pump cavitation or anything and I'm getting great efficiency so all seems generally fine but I'm just looking to improve my process. Thanks again.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to not mill too tight (0.045" to 0.050" should work well) and if your grist has lot of sticky stuff (like flaked oats) or huskless stuff (like wheat), try opening your mash pump slowly over 1-2 minutes after you first dough-in.

If your efficiency is great (like you mentioned), it's not really something to worry about.

Cheers!

Kal

Creepy

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Make sure to not mill too tight (0.045" to 0.050" should work well) and if your grist has lot of sticky stuff (like flaked oats) or huskless stuff (like wheat), try opening your mash pump slowly over 1-2 minutes after you first dough-in.

Thanks Kal. I've been opening the gap on my mill each brew. I started at .045 and am over .050 now. I've also had very little (if any) flaked or huskless grains. Here is a shot of my last mill...

IMG_4710.JPG
 Description:
Milled just a little wider than .050
 Filesize:  173.59 KB
 Viewed:  13004 Time(s)

IMG_4710.JPG

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. Every piece cracked into 2-3 pieces is all you want with a recirc setup.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: