Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Alternative Ingredients

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rivetcatcher

Drinking: Way Out Wheat - Mindcircus

Working on: Zombie Dust

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Alternative Ingredients Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello,

So I have completed my brewery construction and I’m ready to make my first batch. I intend to make th Electric Pale Ale Sessionable version.

Being in Thailand it isn’t always possible to get the exact ingredients so I was wondering if you could advise on the alternatives that I have below:

Domestic 2 row: I have the choice of Maris Otter, Halcyon Pale Malt, Golden Promise Pale Malt, Chateau 8 Pale Ale Malt, Weyermann Pale Ale or Weyermann Pilsner.

I can get Weyermann Vienna.

Crystal 40l: I have the choice of 16 and 25 EBC Caramalt, 75EBC crystal, Chateau 5 EBC Cara Clair, Chateau 50 EBC biscuit, various Weyermann such as Cara hell and Cara Munich etc,

I can get Cara pils.

May thanks in advance

RC
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just me but I would recommend Maris Otter for the 2 row and Cara Munich for the 40L
View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative Ingredients Reply with quote

rivetcatcher wrote:
Domestic 2 row: I have the choice of Maris Otter, Halcyon Pale Malt, Golden Promise Pale Malt, Chateau 8 Pale Ale Malt, Weyermann Pale Ale or Weyermann Pilsner.

While any of them will work, if you want to brew something closest to the original recipe you want something very lightly kilned, without adding a lot of extra flavour. I'd probably go with the Weyermann Pils. Any low colour 2-row base malt will do however. All of these will work, but they'll give you a slightly different taste.

My description of domestic 2-row if you click on it: "Smooth, less grainy, moderate malt flavour, light in colour. Base malt for many North American beer styles."

Now look up the malts you mention and you'll note that many are different. For example, Maris Otter is "Rich, bready malt flavour, slightly darker in colour than domestic 2-row or German pilsner. Base malt for many British beer styles."

Quote:
Crystal 40l: I have the choice of 16 and 25 EBC Caramalt, 75EBC crystal, Chateau 5 EBC Cara Clair, Chateau 50 EBC biscuit, various Weyermann such as Cara hell and Cara Munich etc,

Like Lovibond, EBC is another way of measuring colour which in malt is really the level of kilning. 40L is about 105 EBC. If you look up many of the malts you mentioned you'll see that many are nowhere near 40L. You want something kilned to 40L to "add sweet mild caramel flavour, and golden colour."

Weyermann Caramunich I (31-38L) or Weyermann Caramunich II (42-49L) would work well, though any Crystal/Caramel malt kilned to around 40L will do.

Note that in recipes I purposely do not call out exact malts sometimes (as I did here), as it's not overly critical what Crystal/Caramel as long as it's around 40L. Same with the base 2-row malt. Any base malt light in colour will do. Which exact malts in this case you use is not critical to the recipe. When I feel it is, I'll usually call out the exact malt.

I also want people to learn how malts work and not blindly follow a recipe thinking "this is exactly I have to use". I don't want people to think that they "must" use Weyermann Caramunich II, for example, if it's not critical to the recipe even though that's probably the one I use the most for this beer. Briess, Bairds, Dingemans, Simpsons are all maltsters that likely have a crystal/caramel malt that's available around the 40L range. That malt isn't what shines in this recipe (it's more about the hops). I doubt you'd be able to tell much difference from swapping these two malts out with similar ones from a different maltster.

Talk to your homebrew shop or supplier too. They're there to (or should be there to) help you if you need to do things like sub things out, though I find just learning yourself how it all works is the best bet. The more you understand the less malts you'll probably find yourself using.

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
rivetcatcher

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks Kal.

I’ll use the Pilsner. Looking forward to getting my brew on.
rivetcatcher

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up going with Weyermann Pilsner, Weyermann Vienna, Weyermann Caramunich I and Weyermann Cara Pils. Can’t wait to start the brew.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good! Weyermann makes great malt. Enjoy the brew!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: