Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Ammeter incorrect values

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LGarby

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Ammeter incorrect values Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello Kal,

I finally got around to fully testing my panel that I build from one of your kits and everything works great but the ammeter. When i power it on spikes and settles down to 0.0-0.1. I can then turn on an element and it will show 22.1 amps shut it off and turn on a pump and it will show 1.5 amps. This will work for awhile and then all of sudden I will get a 1__._ or a -1__._ (_ meaning no number) and it will remain like that until I power cycle the panel and it will start working again.

I took some measurements inside the control panel while the element is firing and regardless of if the ammeter is showing the right values I am getting 4.7V at the AC/DC output as well as at the ammeter power terminals. I am also reading 35.9mv drop across the shunt and 33.1mv at the ammeter terminals.

I even ran it for a but with one pump running and the PID cycling the HLT on and off and the ammeter was showing the correct current draw. Then after about a min it switched to -1__._ and never reads properly again until I power cycle the panel.

Any idea what this could be?

-Loren
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's showing a "1" or "-1" sometimes? I believe that means it's getting a signal that's over or under the max displayable value, which is likely not the case of course.

It may be a loose connection? I'm going to forward to Mike (who builds these panels) to chime in as he may have some suggestions. If it's deemed a faulty amp meter we will of course replace it for you.

Sorry for the troubles!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
LGarby

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
So it's showing a "1" or "-1" sometimes? I believe that means it's getting a signal that's over or under the max displayable value, which is likely not the case of course.

It may be a loose connection? I'm going to forward to Mike (who builds these panels) to chime in as he may have some suggestions. If it's deemed a faulty amp meter we will of course replace it for you.

Sorry for the troubles!

Kal

Thanks Kal, it will show both a 1 or a -1 at different times. I went through and tightened up all of the connections and the problem still occurs. I also pull slightly on the wires from the orange ammeter plug to make sure they were seated correctly. I did some additional tshooting by disconnected all the wires from the AC/DC, the shunt, as well as from the ammeter and tested continuity to ensure I wired everything up correctly. One thing I noticed is that the -5V input is tied internally to the adjacent (one pin to the right) signal input on the ammeter. Is that supposed to be the case?

Thanks for including Mike, I will keep an eye out for his reply.

Regards,
Loren
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LGarby wrote:
One thing I noticed is that the -5V input is tied internally to the adjacent (one pin to the right) signal input on the ammeter. Is that supposed to be the case?

I just tested on my own control panel's amp meter, and with the wiring harness disconnected, the amp meter GND is indeed tied (shorted) to the SHUNT pin right next to it in the diagram above.

One thing I'd double check is the wiring to the shunt. I believe that if you disconnect one of the wires to the shunt and turn on the panel you'll see a "1" or "-1" on the amp meter.

Kal

LGarby

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
LGarby wrote:
One thing I noticed is that the -5V input is tied internally to the adjacent (one pin to the right) signal input on the ammeter. Is that supposed to be the case?

I just tested on my own control panel's amp meter, and with the wiring harness disconnected, the amp meter GND is indeed tied (shorted) to the SHUNT pin right next to it in the diagram above.

One thing I'd double check is the wiring to the shunt. I believe that if you disconnect one of the wires to the shunt and turn on the panel you'll see a "1" or "-1" on the amp meter.

Kal

Thanks Kal, just checked on my panel. I get a 1__._ when either the positive or negative signal wires are detached. Tripled checked the wiring to the shunt and i have continuity through both wires from end to end.

-Loren
Spike Innovations
TheElectricBrewery.com manufacturer

Working on: Your Brewery!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please contact us at sales@TheElectricBrewery.com

Your amp meter is defective and needs to be replaced.

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@LGarby: I did some reverse lookup of our forum account information and was able to find your original control panel kit order. Please see the email I sent you. We need to confirm your shipping address and then we'll get that replacement amp meter out ASAP. Sorry for the troubles!

Kal

LGarby

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thank you both. I have replied via email.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect. We'll get the replacement out ASAP. Sorry for the issues!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: