Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Adapting a control panel for 4 x 5500W elements

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hopgoblin

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Adapting a control panel for 4 x 5500W elements Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi,

I want to be able to boil 500 liters of wort and, by my calculations, that's 4 elements. Can anyone think of the best way to adapt the proposed 50A back to back batch control panel to do this? I haven't purchased anything yet. Just inquiring before purchase.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can only control 2 elements at the same time with 50 amps, your probably looking for a 3 phase set up
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 50A back to back control panel is meant for controlling two kettles independently (boil and HLT) so that you can be boiling one batch while heating water for the next batch.

At 500L (about 132 gallons) you'd definitely want more elements in a kettle, and 4 would probably make sense. Our 50A control panel for 30+ gallons drives 2 elements in the boil and 2 in the HLT. To add more power one option that many brewers use is to use our 50A control panel to maintain hot liquor temperature and boil, but temporarily add extra power with one or two separate 5500W heating elements on a separate 30-50A circuit. All that is required is one or two 30A outlets and a breaker box located near the kettles to turn them on and off. Any electrician can wire this up. These breakers control the separate elements with the breaker box and turn them on to heat up the hot liquor tank water faster or to get to boil faster. Once close to target temperature, they're turned off and then the heating elements driven by our 50A control panel are used to maintain temperature/boil. While maybe not as elegant, this is a more cost effective solution than building one massive control panel to handle more than 50A of power.

We're also in the planning stages of building a 50A "booster" panel (please don't ask about cost or timeline but we're hoping this year... Wink). The thought is a smaller, simplified panel with no PIDs, simple ON/OFF switches for controlling up to two additional elements manually. Again, depending on batch size, these either stay on throughout the whole brewing process if dealing with large batch sizes, or are turned on during ramp periods where faster heating is required. The main panel would handle maintaining temps and boil intensity. This panel would require its own separate 50A GFCI circuit.

Welcome to the forum!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
hopgoblin

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys! These are good things for me to consider
Firebrewmedic43

Drinking: barrel-aged Foreign Export Stout

Working on: Helles

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out bubbas barrels out of knoxville tn. The have a 6 kw 240 element among other heat configurations.
JSB

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

We're also in the planning stages of building a 50A "booster" panel (please don't ask about cost or timeline but we're hoping this year... Wink). The thought is a smaller, simplified panel with no PIDs, simple ON/OFF switches for controlling up to two additional elements manually. Again, depending on batch size, these either stay on throughout the whole brewing process if dealing with large batch sizes, or are turned on during ramp periods where faster heating is required. The main panel would handle maintaining temps and boil intensity. This panel would require its own separate 50A GFCI circuit.

Kal.... I was just thinking... could the main main panel "talk to" the "booster" panel on when to turn on/off?

Sort of like a master unit controlling slave unit(s).
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything is possible! All will be revealed in due time... I've already said too much. Wink

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
hopgoblin

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your killing me Kal!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: