Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

How to wire vari-speed to Vortex Fan

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ktyacke

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: How to wire vari-speed to Vortex Fan Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey everyone,
I am working on wiring up my vortex fan to a vari-speed (KBWC-16k) fan control and am a bit confused on the wiring setup. Can anyone provide some insight into how I wire the vari-speed control to an outlet that will power my vortex fan?

Thanks!

-Kyle
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spec sheet is here with the various wiring diagrams, depending on which model you have:

http://www.kbelectronics.com/data_sheets/kbwc_data_sheet.pdf

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
ktyacke

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal!

I've actually dug through this doca already and am a bit at a loss (hoping someone may be able to shed some light). The model I have has two red wires and one green (the ground), and given the diagrams it seems to be the 2-Wire Controls with On/Off Switch (Standard).

What I'm trying to clarify is the exact wiring setup. If I understand correctly, I want to run my electrical wire into the box containing the the fan control, tie the hot into the red wire leading into the control, and tie the grounds and neautral into the "outgoing" electrical wire which will then feed into the outlet that powers the fan. My general confusion comes from the instructions on the site that suggest skipping the step outlining how to connect the leutron fan control to an outlet if you are using a vari-speed control (http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/ventilation?page=5). It seems the general setup ends up being the same, with the main difference being that you place the vari-speed control at a separate location than the outlet which powers the fan (though this is a bit unclear).

Can you verify whether the wiring setup is essentially the same as what is outlined for the leutron configuration except for the seperation of the vari-speed control and the outlet?

Thanks!

-Kyle
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kyle,

Sorry for the confusion! I meant to skip building an external box if you have full control over your brewery room build. Instead of building a fan speed control box consider using an industrial KBWC-15K fan control from KB Electronics installed directly in the wall beside the control panel.

The external fan speed control box that I explain how to build looks like this:

It's a box that is external to your house wiring. It plugs into a standard 15A/120V wall outlet, and the Vortex fan plugs into the box. It's what I used originally in my brewery.

When I built my new brewery from scratch I had full control over the wiring in the walls so I originally installed the Lutron fan speed control directly in the wall (no external box). It's directly on the wall like any a normal light switch or ceiling fan control.

The control then becomes part of the wiring in your house. In my case it drives a regular 120V/15A outlet that's hidden up under my vent hood that the Vortex fan plugs into. This outlet is dedicated to my Vortex fan. You can see the outlet box installed above and to the right of the fan here:

The fan speed control wall box can be seen on the back wall all the way to the right, about 4 feet off the ground here:

If I remember correctly, I had the electrician install a regular light switch at the time - I then removed the Lutron control from my little external box , painted it black and then installed it in the wall. You can see it to the right of my control panel here:

Eventually I found the much better KB Electronics fan speed control and used that instead: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/KBWC-15K-fan-control-from-KB-Electronics

It's wired up like any other wall light switch or dimmer. If you're interested in using this sort of control directly wired into your house wiring, but are not familiar how to do home wiring of things like fans or switches I'd highly suggest you hire an electrician to do the work for you.

You could also use the KB unit in an external box too just like the Lutron if you want. Build instructions are here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/ventilation?page=5

Good luck!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
ktyacke

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, thank you so much for clearing this up! I think I can sort out the electrical work. "Fortunately" my wiring is all exposed in the basement, and I've gotten pretty handing with wiring after spending 6 months cleaning up (and learning) after the last electrician I hired.

Cheers!

-Kyle
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Kyle!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: