Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Secondary Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkdjim

Drinking: Scotch Ale

Working on: Moose Druel

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Secondary Question Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have a Walter Wheat in my SS Fermenting Bucking in the Chamber at 66 Degrees. Been 7 days in the primary stage and I am going to rack it into a Glass Carboy for a secondary period. I am not sure if it needs to sit in the chamber during the secondary stage or can sit out at room temp? Can someone give me some direction on how they do this?

Thanks,
tkdjim

Fermenter.jpg
 Description:
Picture taken when I first put it in so Temp shows lower than 66
 Filesize:  86.9 KB
 Viewed:  12858 Time(s)

Fermenter.jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the original beer here:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/walter-wheat-grain-beer-kit.html?a_aid=theelectricbrewery

It would appear it's some sort of American Wheat beer that's been made blue? (The Breaking Bad reference to Walter I guess)
No mention of the yeast but probably US-05 / Chico?

So I wouldn't use a second vessel at all for a wheat beer like this. Let it ferment out completely, no gelatin or similar, and go directly to keg (or bottle). I don't know what yeast was used but if it's US-05 or similar (WLP001/WY1056) and you pitched enough I'd probably just leave it in the fermenter for ~10-14 days just to make sure it's completely done.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
tkdjim

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I used WLP001 yeast, good to know your thoughts on Wheat Brews Kal!

I had some Breaking Bud from the liquor store and thought it was good enough to try More Beer's version. I got the partial mash kit and did a full boil with it. I haven't gotten my all grain setup going yet, although I have had a cooler mash tun for years but I mashed this in a bag. I am planning on going with your All Electric system when I get off high center and just do it !!!

Thanks for the reply and info!
tkdjim
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the beer - hope it turns out well!

Kal

tkdjim

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Walter Wheat Reply with quote

Hey Kal,
Happy Friday to you!

FYI... the Walter Wheat doesn't turn blue the rock candy for the one I got gives some blueberry notes I am told after it has matured some anyway.

Can you give me some direction?
My starting Gravity was 1.039 or 1.040 on my refractometer and after 12 days in the fermenting bucket I checked it today and got a 1.015 reading. that calculates to just under 3.2 ABV I am not seeing any bubbles in the blow off jar but I don't know if it takes more pressure to create them due to the size of the hose or not?

I was hoping to get a FG around around 1.009 or less, do you think i should pitch some more yeast? I really don't expect to see the FG creeping down much more in the next two days.

Thanks for you time Kal !
tkdjim
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Don't use a refractometer for measuring gravity after fermentation has started. It will not work correctly when alcohol is present.
I recommend: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/Hydrometer-with-at-least-0-990-to-1-120-range

Kal

tkdjim

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal...

Yes this is the first time I used a refractometer I did meant to also use a Hydrometer and use that reading as actual measurement. Thanks for slapping me in the forehead and waking me up!!!

tkdjim
chastuck

Drinking: Bitter

Working on: IPA

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have calibrated your refractometer against some accurate hydrometer readings using a program such as BeerSmith2, you will be surprised how accurate the readings can be after fermentation has started. My refractometer readings are always within 1 or 2 degrees of my high-quality hydrometer readings when I compare the two.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are calculators and software available to compensate for alcohol present so that you can still use a hydrometer refractometer, but they're not 100% accurate for 100% of beer types. A refracto should also be calibrated before each use too if you want it as accurate as possible.

With refracto's you definitely get what you pay for too as there's a ton of cheap inaccurate Chinese made ones available on the 'net. I recommend this one: http://amzn.to/2w3QsLD

Kal

Last edited by kal on Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
tkdjim

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are calculators and software available to compensate for alcohol present so that you can still use a hydrometer,

Kal, did you mean to type Refracto here instead of hydrometer?
My last test with both the Refractometer and Hydrometer was 1.018 against 1.010 both instruments read 1.000 when I tried them with tap water.

tkdjim
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry! Yes. I fixed it

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: