Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Difference in temperature within the BK

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thatflookguy

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Difference in temperature within the BK Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Looking for some advice regarding temperature in the BK..

My RTD probe is located low in the kettle, opposite the element and below. When I was running some tests the PID was showing a massive difference in temperature to the handheld temperature probe I was sticking in the kettle. So I set the difference within the settings for the PID. Don'e another test and the PID would not show anything above 21 degrees. So I fitted a temperature gauge in the kettle just above the tap which reads a stead 80 degrees, as does my handheld temperature probe.

So now I have recalibrate the RTD and PID which is great however it doesn't rise or drop in temperature with the gauge?

If I stir the water in the kettle then the PID will increase and show what my gauge is reading.

Now this can't be right as the PID won't be firing the element correctly if the reading is incorrect.

Should I be changing something in the PID settings?

I'm using the Inkbird ITC-100VH http://pmod79883.pic31.websiteonline.cn/upload/64ot.pdf

Would appreciate some input on this.

Lee.

100L setup, Single 3K element.[/url]
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference in temperature within the BK Reply with quote

thatflookguy wrote:
Looking for some advice regarding temperature in the BK..

My RTD probe is located low in the kettle, opposite the element and below. When I was running some tests the PID was showing a massive difference in temperature to the handheld temperature probe I was sticking in the kettle.

What were you doing at the time exactly? Ie. what were the tests?

Quote:
So I set the difference within the settings for the PID.

I wouldn't do that - calibrate the temp probe based on how accurately it reads in (say) a cup of hot water against a known good thermometer. See the instructions here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-setup

Quote:
Don'e another test and the PID would not show anything above 21 degrees.

That's strange. What test are you doing exactly? In both cases sounds like you have massive stratification (layering) somehow? Not sure.

Quote:
So now I have recalibrate the RTD and PID which is great however it doesn't rise or drop in temperature with the gauge?

Are you saying that the PID temperature never changes? That is also very odd.

Quote:
If I stir the water in the kettle then the PID will increase and show what my gauge is reading.

So it does sound like you have massive stratification (layering) issues.

Quote:
Now this can't be right as the PID won't be firing the element correctly if the reading is incorrect.

For what it's worth, in the boil kettle we don't usually run in auto mode (temperature based). We run in manual mode (duty cycle) such that temperature is not used.

Normally the firing of the heating element stirs up the water / wort such that the temp probe reads accurately.

Do you have any pictures of the setup? Sometimes seeing what you're doing exactly shows a lot.

Quote:
100L setup, Single 3K element.

For what it's worth, you may find it long to brew or hard to get a good boil with only 3000W in 100L / 26 gallons. Normally I'd recommend two 4500-5500W elements (9000 - 11,000 watts total) for such a volume.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: