Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Heating elements and adapters

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoCal-Doug

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Heating elements and adapters Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Question for the masses...

Has anyone used the Brewers Hardware element adapter (the heavy duty machined one, 2" TC) with a Camco element (specifically the new stainless 02965)?

I ordered two of the element adapters from brewers hardware and they have arrived (these things are beefy!) but when I went to order elements from Brew Hardware, I was told the elements would not fit my adapters due to different threading.

I'm trying to decide (1) use the camco's that Kal recommends if they fit, or (2) return the adapters and start over with a different group of parts.

My kettles have 2" TC solder spuds on them already. I'm not into the gooping up a junction box with RTV and I don't feel the love for an element guard made from a salt shaker Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - just did some digging in my emails...

We have in the past had a few isolated incidences where our elements did not fit in Brewers Hardware adapters. These were swapped out at no cost to the customer and all was good. Probably one in a thousand or so if I had to guess.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I under stand why Brewers Hardware would sell a adapter that doesn't fit an standard element, thats just bad pr for the company

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozarks Mountain Brew wrote:
I'm not sure I under stand why Brewers Hardware would sell a adapter that doesn't fit an standard element, thats just bad pr for the company

I can't blame either company... There really is no "standard". Kudo's to brew hardware (bobby) for being up front and letting me know his elements wont fit those adapters.

I pulled the spec's for NPS threads and there are two sets of measurements possible. One is a "standard" thread (smaller overall hole) and one is a "loose" fit (slightly larger overall hole). They are both however spoken of as 1" NPS. The loose version is called "NPSL"

As a 25 year engineer, my hunch is someone decided to design an adapter and simply specified "1 inch NPS female" on the inside of the part and didn't check for alternate dimensions. Whatever they tested it with worked, and they hit the go button on the CNC machine and kicked out some parts and started selling them.

Now comes company A, B and C that make elements. They cut the male threads on their element to the "L" spec's or just get a little sloppy, or their machining quality is sketchy, or they assume everyone will have loose threads. The smaller hole and the larger element combination wont play well together. Both the male and female have tolerances (+ and - allowances) and if you add those in opposing directions, things get worse.

Here's the crazy one. Some of the offshore no-name brands are made with 1" NPT threads (tapered like pipe threads!). They don't play well at all with NPS threads, even though some people will use Teflon tape and jam them in anyway.

Water heaters do not have a standard either. I was able to find mounts in both NPS and NPSL threads. What I would have done would be simply make any female thread the larger one. You can always add a wrap or two of Teflon tape and all is valid and good. OR maybe everyone selling elements and adapters should specify the style of threading so the buyer has a heads up.

I do like the brewers hardware enclosures over the others, for a tri-clamp setup. I have no clue if they make them or get them offshore or use billy-bobs machine shop. They are thick, heavy, water tight, and honestly overkill and over engineered.

Hopefully Kal has some new model Camco's in stock and i'll get them on order. Maybe be brewing next weekend Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCal-Doug wrote:

Hopefully Kal has some new model Camco's in stock and i'll get them on order. Maybe be brewing next weekend Smile

They're definitely in stock!

Kal

SoCal-Doug

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
SoCal-Doug wrote:

They're definitely in stock!

Kal

You are down two less now Smile

Thanks for all the help! And the wealth of information on your website!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your order! Glad to hear you're enjoying the website too - Cheers!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: