Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Janet's Brown Ale
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcav

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Well I finally got around to brewing this today! Beautiful Florida fall day on the porch around 74 degrees by me. A couple of newer brewers wanted to see the process and they learned a lot and had a blast brewing with me. I will report back when I get the batch in the keg and pull a pint!

John

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know what you think John! My only complaint about this beer is that I put off brewing it for many years... that's a lot of years I could have been enjoying it. Wink

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewing this favourite again today. Five different malts and lots of hop additions. The one that the 'experts' for years said shouldn't work (combining hoppy with roasty) but it does!

It's a recipe by famous homebrewer Mike McDole ( @tastymcd on Instagram and forums he frequents ) that broke the rules and barriers. He definitely showed them when he took gold at the 2004 National Homebrew Competition with this beer.

Video of prepping for the brew day last night (I mill the grain, measure out hops, and water mineral additions, etc.): https://www.instagram.com/p/BX8-zqZAFdg/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery

This morning - strike water heating up:

Video from a few minutes go - sparge (rinsing the sugars from the grain) about half way done: https://www.instagram.com/p/BX-89TigpzH/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery

Next will be the boil where more hops are added, followed by chilling, then pitching the yeast. Then the easy part: Wait for the yeast to turn the sugary/hoppy liquid into beer. Takes about a week or so.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:27 am; edited 1 time in total
jcav

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great Kal, I just realized I never reported back on my batch I made last year. Mine came out great and was a hit at a party I had! As always the recipes you post are top notch all the way!

John

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great John! Glad to hear it was a big hit! I can't take credit for the recipe however - that goes to Mike McDole (Tasty). He's the brain behind this one!

Kal

jcav

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
That's great John! Glad to hear it was a big hit! I can't take credit for the recipe however - that goes to Mike McDole (Tasty). He's the brain behind this one!

Kal

Yes sir, I am familiar with "Tasty McDole". I have heard him many times over the years on podcasts with Jamil and company. Even though you didn't create this one I still have to give you props for posting it in your recipe section! Matter of fact when I am not tweaking one of mine and am looking for a good recipe to brew, I often will brew one of yours here on your site. You post solid beer recipes here. It doesn't matter if you created it or not. Also Gordon Strong's book "Modern Homebrew Recipes" is another treasure chest for some really good ones too!

John

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a good book and one I've read cover to cover a couple of times now!:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/Modern-homebrew-recipes

Kal

itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, i brewed this on saturday as well, second time making it.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pic of Janet's Brown Ale after my last brew:

A video that shows the thick persistent head and lacing: https://www.instagram.com/p/BaKZBUIAQb7/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery

This batch was actually double dry hopped with a second round of identical hops 3 days before kegging - turned out great!

Kal

jcav

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice beer Kal! The video makes me want a glass!

John

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four days after kegging:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf9679NhpHs/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery

Kal

dmbank

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal-

That looks fantastic after 4 days. I've got an Irish Red and a Stout that are about 10 days in and not taking the carbonation very well.

Are you carbonating at a higher PSI for a day or so? Your 'Ferment and Package' section says "We carbonate by simply connecting the CO2 up to the keg and waiting two weeks with the regulator set to the standard serving pressure."

- David
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

The beer's still a bit flat, but when filling the jar I used a picnic (cobra) tap from the keg as it's still in the conditioning fridge and did a 'rough' pour with the tap only open a bit to let it squirt out and foam up a bit. So there's some good head on the beer (which I was curious to see how well it held up) but it's still somewhat flat. I sometimes do turn the pressure up to ~35PSI for 18-24 hours when first kegging beers that are meant to be drunk young and fresh (like an NEIPA) as that does carb them up pretty much within a day. I then turn down to serving pressure. For this beer I didn't care I didn't have room on my taps yet for it. Wink

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recipe has been re-written and moved to our new site.

See: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/janets-brown-ale

This thread will remain open for questions. Cheers!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this recipe considered as a Newcastle Brown Ale clone?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KB wrote:
Is this recipe considered as a Newcastle Brown Ale clone?

Nope! Pretty far off.

Newcastle Brown Ale is a BJCP style "13B. British Brown Ale": A malty, brown caramel-centric British ale without the roasted flavors of a Porter.

IBU: 20 - 30
SRM: 12 - 22
OG: 1.040 - 1.052
FG: 1.008 - 1.013
ABV: 4.2% - 5.4%

You can read more here: http://www.bjcp.org/style/2015/13/13B/british-brown-ale/

Janet's Brown Ale BJCP style is "21B. Specialty IPA: Brown IPA": Hoppy, bitter, and moderately strong like an American IPA, but with some caramel, chocolate, toffee, and/or dark fruit malt character as in an American Brown Ale. Retaining the dryish finish and lean body that makes IPAs so drinkable, a Brown IPA is a little more flavorful and malty than an American IPA without being sweet or heavy.

IBU: 40 - 70
SRM: 11 - 19
OG: 1.056 - 1.070
FG: 1.008 - 1.016
ABV: 5.5% - 7.5%

You can read more here: http://www.bjcp.org/style/2015/21/21B/specialty-ipa-brown-ipa/

Kal

GozzieBoy

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, about the post-boil hop addition: just to confirm, this is to be added at near-boil temp right after flame out, rather than say a hop stand at c. 180F? Also, do you prefer your "double dry hopped" version to the original recipe? I'm ready to get going on this as my next brew!
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GozzieBoy wrote:
Kal, about the post-boil hop addition: just to confirm, this is to be added at near-boil temp right after flame out, rather than say a hop stand at c. 180F?

Correct. It says "added immediately after boil" and the process steps mention "Lid on at flameout after post-boil hops are added, start chilling immediately.". There's no mention to chill to 180F first. So if you want to follow the recipe exactly, don't do things that aren't mentioned in the recipe. Wink

Quote:
Also, do you prefer your "double dry hopped" version to the original recipe? I'm ready to get going on this as my next brew!

There were many months between the last time I brewed this and the double dry-hopped version which is 2.5 years ago so frankly I don't really remember if there was much of a difference. Taste is also very subjective - what one person prefers doesn't mean everyone else will prefer it as well. I remember both as excellent but then I love heavily dry hopped beers or any beer with mostly late additions, steeping, or dry hopping. I don't think you can go overboard with this beer (within reason). Try both, see which you prefer. No right or wrong answer.

Cheers!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was with sadness that I learnt today that Mike "Tasty" McDole (author of this recipe) passed away yesterday after a year long fight with cancer. Rest in peace Mike.

I always really respected his brewing knowledge. I remember being interviewed by the gang at The Brewing Network almost 10 years ago where Mike was one of the hosts, and going in nervous as the guy knows literally everything about brewing. I've always respected him as he took a really pragmatic / common sense approach to everything he did related to brewing. He was also very active online, always willing to help out a new brewer with questions on the forums he frequented.

I'll be thinking of him next time I brew Janet's Brown.

Kal

rivetcatcher

Drinking: Way Out Wheat - Mindcircus

Working on: Zombie Dust

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really tempted to brew this one, only problem is due to Covid I’m spending al long time away from home 3.5 months at a time. Is this a beer that will keep well or best drank fresh?

Rivet
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: