Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Accidental Aged Pilsner...

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
T-Bone

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Accidental Aged Pilsner... Reply with quote

Just thought I'd share this as it intrigued me.

In preparation of kegging my 3rd electric brew, an ESB, I was searching my shed for empty bottles to so i could transfer my current keg's of IPA into them.
I had about 4 boxes of empty bottles there, and upon opening one box, there was one full capped bottle sitting there...

It was (very average) pilsner i made about 7 years ago. Extract only, no hops or anything. When i made it, I wasn't happy with the results and ended up boxing up the bottles and putting them in the cupboard to age a bit. In the end I forgot about them, and when I moved into our current house, two years after making it, I discovered the bottles. At that point, i put a few in the fridge and to my surprise it was significantly better than it had been initially - i'd expected it to be off by then. It was still a really average beer, nothing was going to fix that, but it was actually decent compared to when I first tried it.

Anyway, I must have missed one of the bottles and now 7 years after bottling it, i found the lost bottle....
Fridged it just out of curiosity....
Upon opening it, i was surprised to find that it didn't stink of badly off beer, but it did have a green apple smell going on which i attribute to Acetaldehyde, although it was only faint and it did not affect the flavour. It tasted the same as it had at the two year mark.
From memory i think it was a bit darker than it had been but it was also crystal clear as you'd expect with 7 years of ageing.. Smile

I didn't drink it as i have much nicer beer on tap, so why bother, but it was very interesting to see that a pale home brew can last such a long time with only hints of green apple fragrance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: