Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

CIP FTW

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mvakoc

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject: CIP FTW Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm a big fan of the clean in process approach to brewing. Having gone through several pumps that aren't intended for this purpose (either temperature rating, food grade material, or other issues) I bit the bullet and got a proper pump to drive the CIP of my fermenters and brite tank.

My pump requirements were:

1) All food grade material
2) Able to handle temps to boiling
3) Powerful enough to run a spray ball to remove the most stuck fermentation byproducts

i bit the bullet and got a 3/4 HP pump by CPE systems. I have to say it works beautifully and is such overkil that I am almost (but not entirely) embarresed to own it in a home brew situation.

I recently added a floor drain so any dumping of material is done in place straight onto the floor. This has been great.

I'm still refining the process but so far the process for the fermenters seem to be:

1) Pre-rinse. 140* water, 2 gallons, pumped into the fermenter. Spray for 10-15 minutes to loosen most stuck on bits. Dump.
2) Clean cycle. 140* water, 2 gallons, with 40g of PBW. 30 minute cycle. Dump.
3) Rinse. 140* water, 2 gallons, 10-15 minutes. Dump
4) Sanitize. 180* water, 2 gallons, 15 minutes. Dump.

Water is heated usign the HLT (on non-brew days) and pumped over usign the HLT pump.

If the fermenter will not be used soon the sanitize cycle is skipped and replaced closer to usage with circulating 2 gallons sufficiently dosed with saniclean (~ non-foaming star san).

For the brite tank the procedure is the same except no need to pre-rinse -- I have a hose that I pre-rinse with after kegging/bottling and that does the trick -- no sticky mess in the brite.

IMG_0786.jpg
 Description:
Actively cleaning the brite tank.
 Filesize:  126 KB
 Viewed:  10606 Time(s)

IMG_0786.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg
 Description:
On/off switch. To be mounted on the wall when I determine the final location.
 Filesize:  183.15 KB

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg
 Description:
The pump itself. A sight glass on the input and a butterfly valve on the output. Input is 1.5" TC and output is 1" TC. So far I tend to run this output full speed and don't use the valve much. Floor is not as nasty as it appears in this phot
 Filesize:  166.51 KB

IMG_0784.jpg

dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! I like it.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
jonymac

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodness sakes! Huge pump and pro level setup! Do you find the site glass is effective on the fermentation tank?
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=314470#314470
mvakoc

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonymac wrote:
Goodness sakes! Huge pump and pro level setup! Do you find the site glass is effective on the fermentation tank?

The picture above is of a dedicated brite tank. I ferment in conicals not shown.

The sight glass would be useful if the brite was used as a serving tank. As I use it purely to condition the tank is either full or empty, so above or below the sight glass, and therefore really does me no good.

I'd worry about getting that sight glass (it is actually PVC) completely clean if, you know, you didn't have a 3/4 HP pump Smile
ghandlin

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's about what I do too, except I just use a chugger pump. I picked one up exclusively for cleaning. Also, I just installed QDs on the fermentors so I can disconnect from the glycol and move it closer to where I want to clean and fill.

I picked them up here: https://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-8220-ns4-abs-valved-in-line-hose-barb-coupling-body-38-id-barb.aspx

ghandlin

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well looks like Photobucket doesn't allow 3rd party hosting for free any longer. Hmmm..
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just save to pc then upload to the forum
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: