Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Finished Control Panel Build, But Scared To Plug It In

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMcD

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Finished Control Panel Build, But Scared To Plug It In Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Finish my control panel build, but scared to plug it in. Don't even know where to go from here. At day 2 just staring at wiring.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a non-electrician I kind of wondered about those things. My first concern would be if the panel/ system is properly grounded.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjo2125 wrote:
My first concern would be if the panel/ system is properly grounded.

Grab your multimeter and test it! Make sure everything that supposed to be grounded is all shorted together properly,

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my concern is not with the design but if I wired it correctly for ground.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjo2125 wrote:
my concern is not with the design but if I wired it correctly for ground.

Understood! That's why I mentioned to grab your multimeter and test it. Make sure everything that supposed to be grounded is all shorted together properly. I.e. test continuity between the ground on your cord's wall plug and every other piece of metal (control panel frame, pumps, kettles, etc). You should have a short between every metal chassis metal and the electrical ground.

Kal

GlennMcD

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been probing everything. I'm more afraid of missing something and smoking it than getting lit by it. This has been 4 years in the making and ready to see it power up. I have brother in-law that is also going to check over it for me.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!

You can refer to my testing/troubleshooting thread too for hints: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25460

Kal

GlennMcD

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I know I have read it, but I will read it again.
JSB

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GlennMcD wrote:
I've been probing everything. I'm more afraid of missing something and smoking it than getting lit by it. This has been 4 years in the making and ready to see it power up. I have brother in-law that is also going to check over it for me.

Like Kal said... grab your multi-meter... without plugging the system into any plug... use the continuity test function to trace your circuits. Follow the wiring diagrams.

Next check ALL your post connections... SSR's, barrier strips, plugs, etc.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good news is that if you did hook up something incorrectly, the worst thing that will typically happen is that you may fry a part. Easily replaceable.

If you're concerned, one thing you may want to consider is powering it up the first time with the cables to the amp and volt meters not attached. Reason being is that there is 5VDC wiring mixed with 240V AC wiring, so any incorrect wiring is likely to fry the meters. If everything else in the panel seems to work ok after you power it up, turn it off, plug in the meters and try again. Having them unplugged on the first power up also lets you make sure you're not sending more than 5VDC to the meters from the power supplies which can also cause damage (for more info see the build instructions).

Good luck!

Kal

GlennMcD

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, left those unplugged. I know I may not be too forum sociable, but I do read it a lot and found that meters have been a largely talked about subject.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've read a lot and followed the instructions then you should be good to go! I find those that get into trouble are the folks that tend to skip over stuff or miss sections and/or are in a big hurry to brew. Wink

Kal

GlennMcD

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it did not blow up when I powered it up today, but I am a little confused on the volt meter. I powered it up to 115 to make sure all the components work but the volt meter reads 564 and when you turn the element switch it will drop to 114. I was expecting it to not read at all as to what I've read here on the forum.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GlennMcD wrote:
So it did not blow up when I powered it up today, but I am a little confused on the volt meter. I powered it up to 115 to make sure all the components work but the volt meter reads 564 and when you turn the element switch it will drop to 114. I was expecting it to not read at all as to what I've read here on the forum.

Can you tell us a bit more about your setup and the parts you're using? Is this one of our control panel kits? Or did you source your own voltmeter, power supply and transformer? If self-sourced do you have links to the exact parts you used? Which of our control panels did you build or did you make your own design? Any pictures?

Kal

GlennMcD

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built the 30amp Panel and sourced my own parts. At the time when i was sourcing you did not offer meters through your website, and they were difficult to locate on the web. What I was able to locate I will list...

Ximico Lm317 in Dc or Ac Converter 4v-30v Out Dc 1.5v-27v 1a
input: DC or AC 4V-30V
Output: DC 1.5V-27V 1A

Volt & Amp panel meters:

Specifications:
1.700VAC meter
Model NO.: XL5135V-6
Power supply: 5VDC [isolation module]
Measure range: AC700V
Resolution: 1V
Display: ultra-bright LED
Dimension: w79mm x h42mm x d26mm
Mounting hole: w76mm x h39mm
Green terminal
Mounting method: snap-in
Net weight: 70g

Specifications:
2.50A AC ammpeter
Model NO.: XL5135V-1
Power supply: 5VDC [isolation module]
Measure range: 50.0A AC with 75mv/50A external shunt
Resolution: 0.1A
Display: ultra-bright LED
Dimension: w79mm x h42mm x d26mm
Mounting hole: w76mm x h39mm
Green terminal
Mounting method: snap-in
Net weight: 70g

50A/75mV Shunt

The only thing I was unsure about when I received my meters there was a voltage divider that cam as a large separate unit, I did not install it or adjust it either.
This is per my email conversation with China.

"It's best way if you can solve the divider mounting question.
The second way, What's the max. voltage measuring range? The meter designed to measuring 700VAC with the divider, you have to calibrate it via the inner potentiometer if you want to discard the divider.
I'm not sure whether it can measure 500VAC without the divider AS the meter inner potentiometer limit. You can try it if you can do it."
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that the parts are different I'm not sure Glenn - probably best you work with the meter manufacturer to figure why it's not working as expected. I don't remember seeing the exact same thing on our meters. Good luck!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: