Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Filtering softened water

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rivetcatcher

Drinking: Way Out Wheat - Mindcircus

Working on: Zombie Dust

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Filtering softened water Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
The water at my house comes from a well and is very hard. The water passes through a softener and then a filter before being distributed around the house.

I understand that water that has been through a softener must not be used for brewing. To get around this I was planning on installing an additional reverse osmosis filter in my brewery to achieve a blank slate so that I could add Epsom salts etc as required to achieve the relevant water profile.

Does anybody see any issues with this? Will the water, even though it has been softened be fine to use after RO treatment?

I think it should be but just wanted to raise the question in case I am missing something.

Cheer

Rivet
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RO (if working correctly) should remove close to everything like you mentioned. Good to go!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
ghandlin

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what I have going on and it works fine. Just remember that the RO process is SLOW. I have to start filling the day before. I spoke with Russ at Buckeye Hydro and built up a system for me - he is also a homebrewer and uses the same system. http://www.buckeyehydro.com/premium-ro-systems/ I picked up an extra set of filters, auto shut-off valve and TDS meter with it. But give him a call, he helped a great deal.
mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your Buckeye Hydro system include a storage tank? Would the added cost of installing a 20 gallon tank be justified to avoid waiting for the process to catch up? I use a 15 gallon HTL.
ghandlin

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it does not. Depending on how often you brew, I would be leery of keeping untreated water around too long. It's really not a big deal to get it started the day before. I had thought of the same thing, but then there is also the need for more space.
rivetcatcher

Drinking: Way Out Wheat - Mindcircus

Working on: Zombie Dust

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info ghandlin. I didn't realize it would take so long. I think it may be easier and cheaper to buy water that has already been filtered through RO. There may be a lot of waste water plus the extra time to consider. I can buy RO water for approximately $1.20 per 18 liters.

Thanks

Rivet
Kazumichan

Working on: Belgium golden, Dubbel, and imperial red

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The time that it take a RO to make water it dependent on what membrane you have. The one that I use is 100 gal/day membrane. So it would about 4 hours to make 15 gallons. Most RO systems have a 2-3 gallon holding tank. I have been thinking of getting a 20 gallon holding tank. I don't think that you would have any problems with holding water for awhile. Just use it more than once a month. I have also read that for every gallon of water it filters it will waste 1 gallon.
SD Endorf

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My unsoftened house water is unacceptable for brewing at 380 ppm alkalinity.
If you're looking for RO water simply for brewing and have no need for an in house system, why not just purchase at the store?
I get RO water at the grocery store. Six 5 gallon containers at 0.32 per gallon. I check with a TDS meter and it's always 8-12 PPM. They do a reasonable job of maintain the membrane. YMMV.....
SD Endorf

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side note, you mentioned Epsom salts. This is rarely required.
With RO water (depending on your recipe) you will likely need some calcium chloride and gypsum.
Be cautious with Epsom.
rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a water softener and a RO water filtration post water softener. However, I tapped into the cold water line before the water softener and that supplies the cold water to my brew sink. I use that city supplied cold water for brewing. We only use RO water from a separate faucet at the kitchen sink and water supply to the refrigerator water and ice maker. My wife was concerned about excess sodium ingestion from the softened water so we got the RO system too.

My system has a 3 gallon RO holding tank and it takes about 4 -5 hours to replenish it from empty. The big rub for me is the waste water. My Culligan RO system is only 40% efficient. It would take 47.5 gallons of softened water to collect 19 gallons of RO water into my 20 gallon HLT with 28.5 gallons going down the drain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: