Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Kal's panel, switchable to Raspberry Pi

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GAParkins

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: Kal's panel, switchable to Raspberry Pi Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I posted a few days ago about a panel I've been working on that is based on Kal's outstanding design, but incorporates a couple of things that I thought would be "nice to haves" for what I'd like to brew with. That design has come along nicely, and the latest iteration is attached. The only update for this round is an improvement in the metering. Now, the meters both read bus voltage, and are split so that one meter reads L1 and the other reads L2. They are also powered before the contactors, so they are on full-time, and I can always see the difference in current between L1 and L2.

Today, I was skipping around between the Electric Brewery forum and the HBT forum, and I fell down a Raspberry Pi rabbit hole. I also read Kal's sticky post about why he opted to not include automation of any kind, and his points are valid, especially regarding long-term support for a specific automation ecosystem.

So what I did was add the capability of switching between manual panel face control of a pair of PIDs and a pair of pumps and automated control via a Raspberry Pi system. I added one 3-position center-off single pole switch, two DPDT relays, one DPST relay, and two SPST relays. I think that as far as power and relay coils are concerned, it is a functional design. That drawing is also attached.

I still have to draw a sensor/signal diagram. I don't know if it will be easier to use a 4PDT relay to switch the output of a 4-wire PT100 sensor or add a second thermowell on each vessel. I still have to think that one through.

I also have to see if I can shoehorn a 7" touchscreen display and another 22mm switch onto the enclosure door.

Schematic - With CBPi.png
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Schematic - With CBPi.png
 Filesize:  123.62 KB
 Downloaded:  610 Time(s)

Control Panel Schematic and Wiring Diagram-Model.png
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Control Panel Schematic and Wiring Diagram-Model.png
 Filesize:  130.16 KB
 Downloaded:  594 Time(s)

GAParkins

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've gotten the basic circuitry of my hybrid control panel down to the point of diminishing returns. I've started drawing out where all the terminal blocks, contactors, fuses, breakers, etc. are going to fit on the panel inside the enclosure. I've laid out the 35mm DIN rail and the 1 ½" x 1 ½" wire duct and some of the equipment.

I kept getting stuck, because I didn't know how many terminal blocks I would need for the neutral bus, for instance. It became clear that I needed to bite the bullet and create a cut sheet for all of the wiring that I'm going to need to do. It felt like an Excel spreadsheet, so I got started tonight. My progress so far is attached.

Wiring Cut Sheet.png
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Wiring Cut Sheet.png
 Filesize:  169.75 KB
 Downloaded:  558 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: