Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Electric Brewery UK Build - Funf Brau
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FunfBrau

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Electric Brewery UK Build - Funf Brau Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey Electric Brewery Builders!

Well, here we go.

After stumbling on this site a while ago - and finding myself obsessively returning again and again - I decided to tentatively start costing up my own (UK 240V) Electric Brewery build. Y'know, for sometime in the future...

I managed to get through half a spreadsheet's worth of 'feasibility study' costings before ignoring the findings and spending anyway... I am now committed to seeing this through!

Part One: The Control Panel

Buying a suitable steel enclosure took a bit of research, but I sourced one from Ebay here. The seller had used the 'Make and Offer' feature, so after a bit of bartering, I managed to get the price down to £56.50 (plus £6.95 P&P). Perfect.

With all fixtures and chassis plate, one 400x400x200mm steel enclosure is now mine!

When it arrived, of course, I had to come clean to SWMBO. She took the news surprisingly well (but then, she's the Beer Beauty, so she HAS to be cool with it! It's Beer Law.)

The great thing about this enclosure is the gland plate - it's pretty small compared with some I've seen used on this site. So, I reckon I won't be reaching for the JB Weld...

...especially as there's enough room to mount a large heatsink and SSRs over the hole:

Maybe something like this perhaps..?

£29.98 delivered.

I'll be buying parts on a monthly basis so this might turn out to be a long and protracted thread.

If there are any UK Electric Brewery builders who want to chip in and give their thoughts/experiences, feel free to comment!

Join me on my Electric Brewery build adventure...

JOIN ME.

Wink

Cheers,
FB.

[all prices correct at time of posting!]
View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing.

For those that do not wish to source all the parts themselves, we do offer a control panel kit for 220-240V countries. Everything ships in one container to save on shipping, and you follow our instructions. We've sold many of these to 220-240V countries including the UK, New Zealand, and Australia (to name a few).

Cheers,

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
FunfBrau

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Thanks for sharing.

For those that do not wish to source all the parts themselves, we do offer a control panel kit for 220-240V countries. Everything ships in one container to save on shipping, and you follow our instructions. We've sold many of these to 220-240V countries including the UK, New Zealand, and Australia (to name a few).

Cheers,

Kal

Hi Kal,

Firstly, I have to tell you your Electric Brewery is a thing of beauty. I'm slightly obsessed with it Wink

I hope it's okay if I continue posting my (very slooooow) build here. Half the fun for me is sourcing the bits and pieces... starting from scratch.

Feel free to alter any of my posted links if they bring more revenue to your excellent site!

Many thanks,
FB.
FunfBrau

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I really be so excited about getting LED pilot lights..? Laughing

£2.72 each (inc. VAT) - collected from branch so no postage charge.
http://uk.rs-online.com
Doubleplugga

Drinking: Store bought craft beer

Working on: Ruthless Rye clone!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes mate you should!! I got my 240v kit (I am an Aussie) at Christmas time last year and was so excited, I think its only natural for a beer lover to get super hyped up over this.
Hope your build goes well mate.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Doubleplugga!

Is your kit up and running now?

FB.
Doubleplugga

Drinking: Store bought craft beer

Working on: Ruthless Rye clone!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The control panel is done mate and the blichmann pots are about half finished. I spend a lot of time away from home for work but am hoping to have it up and running by the end of the year. Will be posting in a thread when it is done.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Will be good to see your build...

Cheers!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FunfBrau wrote:
I hope it's okay if I continue posting my (very slooooow) build here. Half the fun for me is sourcing the bits and pieces... starting from scratch.

Of course! Post away...! People (myself included) love these sorts of build threads. It's been so long since I built mine that I completely forget what it was like. Wink

Quote:
Feel free to alter any of my posted links if they bring more revenue to your excellent site!

Thanks - If you use any of the companies that we're affiliated with I may just do that as it won't change what you're saying or the product you're linking to. I bet however that you mostly didn't buy from these companies through our links which is fine too.

Good luck with the build!

Kal

FunfBrau

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More excitement when the amp meter & shunt arrives from Sure Electronics... Very Happy

Pretty swift delivery too! 10 days from order date.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Sure-Electronics

£7.88(ish) including p&p.

Cheers,
FB.
FunfBrau

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More arrivals:

Handles from China - again on an impressively swift turnaround.

£12.78 for 2 x 12.5 inch
£11.56 for 4 x 5 inch
(free delivery!)

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/temaxmetal?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Contact block, body and fixing collars:

I resisted the temptation to cut corners and buy cheapo parts...

But, I reckon I've found the cheapest UK supplier of quality goods...

Contact block (1 NO) with body, fixing collar £3.48 (inc. VAT)
Contact block (2 NO) with body, fixing collar £5.82 (inc. VAT)

And the all important red timer reset button:

Flush Red Pushbutton Head £2.76 (inc. VAT)

All from http://www.tlauk.net/shop/

The selector switch heads are in transit from elsewhere Smile

Cheers,
FB.
FunfBrau

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

More purchases arrive... Very Happy

Volt meter (on the right, with protective covering) next to the amp meter:

But, as you can see, the plastic front is REALLY blue...

Bought it from T-Mart (£5.06 with free delivery.) None in stock at Sure Electronics at time of purchase.

Damn! Should I buy another amp meter to match the blue one or get another voltmeter to match the purple? Laughing

Thankfully, the switch heads are awesome! Look at the curves on that sucker...

Bought from UK Ebay £3.99 per switch head, with discount on shipping for multiple items.

Yep - I spent more on switches than I intended to, but I like a bit of design, me. Laughing

Saw these switches on ShortVersion's incredible build and NEEDED to have them too Cool

More to come.

Cheers,
FB.
Smile
rmoody

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny to me that you are going Schneider Electric on the switches and pilot lamps, but stick with the cheap volt and ammeter. Check out Red Lion Controls PAXH meters. It will match your style of "not going cheap". Also, they are IP65 rated. To go not quite so extreme, check Lightobject.com for their meters, including power meters.

http://www.lightobject.com/Programmable-4-Digit-Blue-LED-ACDC-Volt-Meter-with-dual-control-Good-for-HHO-System-P407.aspx
http://www.lightobject.com/Programmable-4-Digit-Blue-LED-ACDC-Amp-Current-Meter-with-dual-control-Good-for-HHO-System-P414.aspx
http://www.lightobject.com/Programmable-Digital-AC-Single-Phase-Power-Watt-Meter-Blue-LED-w-Control-20mA-P547.aspx
http://www.lightobject.com/Programmable-3-Phase-RMS-Triple-Displays-Digital-AC-Power-Watt-Meter-Support-1-phase-P423.aspx

http://www.redlion.net/Products/DigitalandAnalog/DigitalPanelMeters/ACVolt/PAXH.html
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FunfBrau wrote:
Thankfully, the switch heads are awesome! Look at the curves on that sucker...
Yep - I spent more on switches than I intended to, but I like a bit of design, me. Laughing
Saw these switches on ShortVersion's incredible build and NEEDED to have them too Cool

ShortVersion bought his control panel kit from us directly. We like these curved switches too so we've been using them for a long time now with our pre-built panels and kits. See our pictures here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel

I didn't use them in my original build (I never came across them) as documented in the build instructions on this site, but i'm tempted to switch all mine out too as I do like them a lot more too.

Kal

boab44stout

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gathering bits for A CONTROL PANEL MYSELF hope your build goes well
GAParkins

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I resisted the temptation to cut corners and buy cheapo parts...

I am fortunate that my employer is a distributor for Telemecanique. makes it pretty easy to just pop down to the warehouse and get the correct part.
AstroBrewing

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff. Was looking for suitable handles for ages but still am as your link on eBay died already!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately sellers on ebay come and go.

Check out our Amazon.com links here for the handles:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/305mm-12-handle
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/127mm-5-handle

They do ship worldwide I believe.

Kal

barney the bear

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AstroBrewing wrote:
Great stuff. Was looking for suitable handles for ages but still am as your link on eBay died already!

Maybe not far away
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/ikea_kitchens/16298/ Wink
FunfBrau

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all,

It's been a while - and the control panel is still waiting. It's no further forward since my last post but it's not been forgotten!

I was almost tempted by a Grainfather, but I'm gearing up to start collecting parts again for the Electric Brewery...

Hey Boab44stout and AstroBrewing (and any other UK builders) - keep me updated with how you're getting on. I need encouragement on this journey Mug

Cheers,
FB.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: