Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Didn't hit the numbers this time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Subliminalfringe

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Didn't hit the numbers this time. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello,

I've been using my brewery for about 6 months now and have had pretty consistent results in terms of efficiency. My software (Brewers Friend) says I'm in the neighborhood of 85%. I know that's a bit low - I sparge a bit quicker than I should and that's OK. This last time I made a weizenbock and the numbers came in really low. I ended up with a post boil gravity of 1.067 and should have had 1.081. The entire brew went smoothly. The grain bill was 30.5 lbs with 17 of the pounds being wheat malt. I added 2 pounds of rice hulls that I mixed in with the grain before mashing in. The same method of grain milling was used. Was careful during mash in to stir to avoid dough balls, and after mashing in I gave a final stir. The vorlauf went great with the wort pump - no fluctuation of the wort level indicator. I sparged 14.9 gallons over 80 minutes. Had 2 inches of sparge water above the grain bed. Everything went great.

So I assume there must have been channeling, perhaps at the outset of vorlaufing. I can't think of anything else. I did not perform a starch test, however the wort at the beginning of sparging was clear.

Did I need to use more rice hulls? Is there anything that would tip me off in the future so I can avoid this? Should I partially close the ball valve on the wort pump to slow the vorlauf in wheat beers?

My set up is a Kal clone with 20 gal Blichmann kettles. Blichmann false bottom, chugger pumps.

Thanks,

Sub
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Didn't hit the numbers this time. Reply with quote

If I understand correctly, you brewed with no issues for 6 months with a mash efficiency of 85% and now you had issues for the first time?

Subliminalfringe wrote:
Did I need to use more rice hulls?

You mentioned not having any flow issues so I don't think additional rice hulls will make any difference. (You mentioned the level in the MLT sight glass didn't drop significantly when you started to recirculate after mashing in, so that's good - that's a tell tale sign that you have stuck flow).

Quote:
Should I partially close the ball valve on the wort pump to slow the vorlauf in wheat beers?

You shouldn't have to. You didn't have any flow issues.

It could be as simply as mis-measuring something. For example, not using as much grain as you needed.

Not sure!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to confirm is that your mill didn't come loose resulting in a poor crush (or no crush at all).

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
blazinlow86

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is a number was off somewhere. Maybe your software was off abit and was calculating a smaller batch size or something like that
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: