Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Mash tun - first test run - big problem :(

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rivetcatcher

Drinking: Way Out Wheat - Mindcircus

Working on: Zombie Dust

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Mash tun - first test run - big problem :( Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have just finished my brewery and decided to go for a test run today using only water.

The plan was to follow the brew day step by step guide - without the grain etc just to get the feel for how the system works and spot any problems. My first brew will be the electric pale ale sessionable version. I have tweaked the brewery step buy step guide to fit the electric pale ale and my system.

Just a bit of background on my build. I am currently based in Thailand so getting all of the parts etc as recommended by Kal is almost impossible unless you are prepared to pay massive shipping and taxes - something I was not prepare to do. I did however have to import a few bits and pieces.

I decided to build my system using 25 gallon stainless stock pots that are easily available here. I installed sight glasses, weldless fittings etc. For the false bottom I imported a custom false bottom from Norcal brewing solutions - which was exactly to spec and in my opinion a great piece of kit. However, this is where I have overlooked a very important detail. When transferring the strike water from the HLT to the mash tun (approx 5.9 gallon) I found that the stand I have made for the mash tun to sit on is too high. This means that I have about 4 gallons under the false bottom and about 1.9 gallons above it. I can't lower the stand as when I built the pot the stand was specifically built to sit above the outlet for the valve and sight glass. Effectively there isn't going to be enough water above the false bottom to steep the grain.

Just for info the deadspace under the false bottom after draining the water out is 0.35 gallon.

Any ideas on how to get round this? Is it a big F*** up? Should I add extra strike water and decrease the sparge water?

Or.... do I have to re-make the Mash Tun?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Rivet

PS. I also found another issue which was a broken quick disconnect without an o-ring seal. I highly recommend test running your brewery before diving in with grain.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post some pics to get a better sense of what it looks like?

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
rivetcatcher

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooops... correction to above, meant to say that the stand for the false bottom to sit on is too high, can get some pics, how do I upload? Do I need to have photobucket?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can link to photos elsewhere or just click 'go advanced' below and upload directly to our forum.

Kal

rivetcatcher

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here are the pics:

This shows my setup so far.

This shows mash tun with the false bottom installed. Dip tube and sight glass are underneath.

This shows the false bottom removed showing the dip tube, sight class connection and stand.

Cheers

Rivet
Mr Walleye

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd want a little more water above the false bottom myself.

Any chance of lowering it a bit by modifying the stand and making a nice snug notch for where the dip tube comes in, and maybe the sight glass port?
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so long as you mash in with the correct volume above the mash filter, you'll be just fine without modifying anything. If you have the correct grist : water ratio above the screen, then technically (from an enzyme perspective) it shouldn't matter how much liquid is below the mash screen.

That being said, the volume of water below your mash screen might cause some dilution of the gravity you might expect from your first runnings, but the total sugar extract you get from your grain is more directly tied to your mill and lauter efficiency (just like everyone elses set up). For example, you can only extract "X amount" of sugar from any grain profile. If you use more or less water to do it doesn't change how much sugar is available to extract. Therefore, you may find that you have to sparge less volume to hit your pre-boil numbers, and/ or you might have to boil longer than you expect to concentrate the sugars to hit the correct OG. However, I don't think so. I think you'll collect (for example:) 14 gallons in the boil kettle for a 12 gallon batch with a 2 gallon per hour boil off rate and one hour boil, and I think you'll hit the same numbers as someone with a smaller volume under the screen that sparged more to hit the same pre-boil volume (assuming same boil off rate).

I think you'll be fine. Try it a few times as is (but do keep the correct water : grist ratio above the screen. So if you have 4 gallons below and you're supposed to mash with 6 gallons then you'll need 10 gallons of strike water. If you don't have brewing software, get one and track your pre-boil gravity, boil off rate, post chilling OG and brewhouse efficiency. It'll probably take 3 - 5 brews of a *similar beer to identify a trend (*Don't make a lager, a pale, a wheat beer, a pumpkin beer and an imperial stout and expect similar efficiency numbers).

Just my opinion. I'm curious to see what everyone else has to say. Good luck!
rivetcatcher

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

Mr Walleye wrote:

Any chance of lowering it a bit by modifying the stand and making a nice snug notch for where the dip tube comes in, and maybe the sight glass port?

I think it would be too difficult to cut the stand and keep it straight.

McGruber, the big worry for me was as you mentioned, over dilution by adding extra water above the mash screen. My initial thought was to add an extra 2 gallons to the strike water and subtract 2 gallons from the sparge water to compensate for this. I thought that because we were recirculating we would still dilute the correct amount of sugars providing the grain was sufficiently covered.

Then if I sparged using less water it would compensate and allow me to hit the pre boil target.

Rivet
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll be fine. You may have some issues trying to make really small volumes of beer exactly the way you want as there'll be more water than you may want but I think it'll be ok. I also think the liquor to grist ratio does not have a huge effect on the beer (a more water grist is supposed to be more fermentable).

McGruber wrote:
I think so long as you mash in with the correct volume above the mash filter, you'll be just fine without modifying anything. If you have the correct grist : water ratio above the screen, then technically (from an enzyme perspective) it shouldn't matter how much liquid is below the mash screen.

I don't think this is correct. I believe it's the entire volume of water (in contact with grain + dead space under false bottom + hoses) that should be taken into consideration as it's the concentration of starches/sugars in solution that matters, and these starches/sugars are throughout the system, not just where the water is in contact with the grain.

This is why I account for *all* water in my strike water calculations. From my BREW DAY STEP BY STEP:

Quote:
We need to figure out how much strike water to transfer to the Mash/Lauter Tun in order to soak (mash) our grain.

Like mash temperature, the water to grain ratio (often called 'liquor to grist ratio') used when mashing also affects the beer you produce (to a much lesser degree however). Generally speaking, a thicker mash (less water) produces a beer that is fuller/sweeter as it creates more unfermentable sugars while a thinner mash (more water) produces a thinner/dryer beer as it creates more fermentable sugars.

This mash thickness is usually expressed as the number of quarts of water per pound of grain. A mash thickness of about 1.25 quarts/pound is a common ratio used for most ales. For beers such as this one that we want to be a bit thinner/dryer, 1.5 to 2.0 quarts/pound is common.

For our Blonde Ale recipe we will be using 1.5 quarts/pound mash thickness so the amount of strike water required is:

Strike water = (Mash Thickness * Pounds of Grain / 4) + dead space under false bottom + liquid in hoses = (1.5 * 18 / 4) + 0.22 + 0.5 = 7.47 gallons

Our 20 gallon Blichmann kettle holds 0.22 gallons under the false bottom and there is approximately 0.5 gallons of liquid in our hoses and the 50 foot HERMS coil, so we account for these in our equation.

Kal

rivetcatcher

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The water under my mash screen is not all dead space, there is a lot of water under the screen however only 0.35 of it is actually dead space. My biggest concern is not getting all of the grain wet. Kal, what would you do to compensate if you had this issue?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're having some terminology differences: The area under the false bottom that contains only water (not grain) is called dead space. So I'm not sure what you mean exactly when you mention '0.35 of dead space'.

All the grain should be wet as long as there's enough water in the mash tun.

The only difference on your setup is the 0.22 gallon value in my formula above. Use whatever amount of water you have under the false bottom instead. The amount in the hoses may be different too if your hose lengths are different/if your HERMS coil length is different.

Good luck!

Kal

McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
McGruber wrote:

I don't think this is correct. I believe it's the entire volume of water (in contact with grain + dead space under false bottom + hoses) that should be taken into consideration as it's the concentration of starches/sugars in solution that matters, and these starches/sugars are throughout the system, not just where the water is in contact with the grain.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree that the enzymes will be more diluted than are ideal. However, I'm going to exaggerate for effect here without doing the math: If you try to make a barleywine with 40 lbs of grain, and only have 2 gallons of water above the screen because that's what the water:grist ratio calls for- accounting for 4 gallons dead-space, and say 4 gallons in volume in pumps and hoses, etc, then you're going to have dry grain in the MLT, and mashing/lautering/ maltose extraction and conversion will be completely ineffective. Again, that's an exaggeration, but that's why I suggested leaving the correct ratio above the screen.

If all the brewhouse water is elsewhere in the system and not effectively contacting the grain, then the mash isn't going to proceed normally. I think the liquid/ grain mass should be at the correct concentration above the screen regardless of how much water is in the rest of the system (to a point). That mash thickness, is what translates to enzyme activity and sugar modification. I agree that the enzymes will be diluted, but if they can't access the grain then conversion will not happen.

My thought was that assuming the enzymes will still contact the grist if the water ratio is correct above the screen, then he can play with the kettle volume and boil time to get the correct gravity. I could very well be wrong, but I don't think he should make any major changes to the screen or kettles without seeing what numbers he hits.

kal wrote:
Our 20 gallon Blichmann kettle holds 0.22 gallons under the false bottom and there is approximately 0.5 gallons of liquid in our hoses and the 50 foot HERMS coil, so we account for these in our equation.

I think rivetcathcer is saying that there's 4 gallons of dead-space under the screen, but 0.35 gallons of wort left behind in the tun (not collectable) after drawing off through the dip tube.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense McGruber! Hopefully he won't have anything extreme enough to have dry grain.

Kal

rivetcatcher

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
We're having some terminology differences: The area under the false bottom that contains only water (not grain) is called dead space. So I'm not sure what you mean exactly when you mention '0.35 of dead space'.

Kal

My understanding of the term dead space is what remaining liquid is left under the false bottom after draining the wort out. I was actually quite sure of this. The water under the false bottom isn't dead space unless it can't get extracted. All of the water under my mash tun can be extracted apart from the 0.35.

Back to your comment of liquor to grist ratio not having a big effect on the beer, this is where I got the idea for adding more water from the sparge to the mash and then having a slightly smaller sparge.

McGruber, thanks for the feedback and I see what your saying about the water above the screen, but as long as the grain is under water.... not necessarily at the correct liquor to grain ratio but suitably soaked (not just damp) won't the conversion happen correctly? As long as the temp is correct then the starch should convert effectively. It may be a little diluted at that point but this could be compensated by cutting the sparge water???

Appreciate the feedback guys

Rivet
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rivetcatcher wrote:
McGruber, thanks for the feedback and I see what your saying about the water above the screen, but as long as the grain is under water.... not necessarily at the correct liquor to grain ratio but suitably soaked (not just damp) won't the conversion happen correctly? As long as the temp is correct then the starch should convert effectively. It may be a little diluted at that point but this could be compensated by cutting the sparge water???

Absolutely. If the grain is underwater and isn't completely like oatmeal concrete you'll be good to go. I'm saying you should just experiment with what you have and see what numbers you hit. Don't stress out about it, but track your results. This is what I said a few posts up: 'Therefore, you may find that you have to sparge less volume to hit your pre-boil numbers, and/ or you might have to boil longer than you expect to concentrate the sugars to hit the correct OG'.

I was just concerned that if you have 1/3 of the water in the grain that you should that you're not going to get the sugars you want. The exaggeration on the dry grain, was a big exaggeration to make a point. If you're supposed to use 8 gallons of water and it's all below the grain and in the hose, then you need to change your set up or your water volume. If you have low 'extract yield' then consider increasing your water volume so there's more available to the grain. Good luck!
sirmellor

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm understanding this correctly could you find a container or object that will fit under the false bottom, not touching it, that would displace the water under the false bottom. For example it could be as simple as some clean smooth rocks, or a block of stainless steel, or what ever you have around the house.

Cheers, Richard.
rivetcatcher

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirmellor wrote:
If I'm understanding this correctly could you find a container or object that will fit under the false bottom, not touching it, that would displace the water under the false bottom. For example it could be as simple as some clean smooth rocks, or a block of stainless steel, or what ever you have around the house.

Cheers, Richard.

Genius... thanks Richard Thumbs Up
blazinlow86

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a similar norcal false bottom and had the same issue with deadspace however mine is 2 gallons below the bottom. i had issues trying to do a 6 gallon lager with a really light grain bill in my 20 gallon mash tun but with my normal 12 gallon batches it works great. i use 1.8 qts/lb for my water calculator and 82% eff ( i do a quick fly sparge).i also have a genaric 12 inch fb i can use for smaller test batches. with 25 gallon kettles your probably not going to be able to do small batches but 12+ gallons should work well
rivetcatcher

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazinlow86 wrote:
i have a similar norcal false bottom and had the same issue with deadspace however mine is 2 gallons below the bottom. i had issues trying to do a 6 gallon lager with a really light grain bill in my 20 gallon mash tun but with my normal 12 gallon batches it works great. i use 1.8 qts/lb for my water calculator and 82% eff ( i do a quick fly sparge).i also have a genaric 12 inch fb i can use for smaller test batches. with 25 gallon kettles your probably not going to be able to do small batches but 12+ gallons should work well

Thanks blazing... I'm just going to add more water to the mash and subtract it from the sparge as you say. When I've looked through the brew day step by step I don't thinj it will make much of a difference provided the grains are well soaked.
If I do smaller batches then I can always add some sort of displacer under the mash tun as suggested in the above post..... genius idea by the way... the simple solutions are always the best.

Rivet
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: