Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Installing HERMS

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcboogie

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:59 am    Post subject: Installing HERMS Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So after trying to install the HERMS coil and it not working. I started to do some trouble shooting. Says that there is an extra 2" and you may need to cut the ends. Well my question is how much do I cut off the ends of the HERMS coil and how is it suppose to look when I do?
I bought the pre-made HERMS coil. I read that you should measure the distance between the two. Mine was just over 6" about 6 1/4. So I made them 6". Later while I was reading, I saw that you should make them 7" apart. Q: Will it matter that mine are 6" apart?? I just don't want to cut too much off. Also, will it be easier once I do? BTW, I have 20gal Blichmanns and bought the standard coil. The one for the 20gal pots.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only cut enough off the ends such that you can get the coil into the compression fittings already installed in the kettle per the instructions here:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/hot-liquor-tank

Having the holes 6" apart will not matter. As long as you can install the coil you're good.

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
mcboogie

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
klindeman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to bump this thread back up, as it turned out very helpful to me.

I was a bit confused as I tried to wrangle my pre-coiled HERMS coil that I bought on the site here. I was having lots of difficulty fitting it into my 20 gal Blichmann pots, even though I bought the right size. Turns out that the purchase page had a lot of GREAT info on how to install it and also how to prep it for use (cleaning).

I might suggest adding a detail to the page in the main instructions about when you go to attach it to the compression fittings, that even a pre-built HERMS coil is probably too long on the connecting tubes, and need to get cut down. I conveniently had the right tools to do so, but others might not.

I also suggest mentioning that even though the HERMS coil may measure 7” tall, you probably want to leave a bit more wiggle room. I had a lot of struggle getting the wrench under the bottom nut to turn it, and I feel that making the holes closer to 8” apart might have been better. Also make sure to fit the bottom tube in, tighten fully, and then fit the top tube in. That will also make it easier to screw in the bottom tube.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input! The entire set of instructions is in the process of being revamped so your suggestions will be considered.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: