Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

StainlessSteel and BPW

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fseider

Location: Two Naked Frogs Brewery; Reading, PA (USA); Interests: Beer, Frogs, Steampunk, Being Naked

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: StainlessSteel and BPW Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
After a recent fermentation, I had filled my Stainless Steel fermenter with a PBW cleaner (Easy Clean to be specific) I had to be away for two weeks and had let it sit. Now that I drained out the fermenter, it seems most of the Stainless Steel has a bit of a 'rough' surface to it. With a LOT of elbow grease, I can get some of it cleaned using a soft non metallic scrubbie to where it is very smooth metal again. There are no pits indicating the best I can tell is that there is no permanent metal damage. But it's really being a chore. My questions:

What is this type surface that happened?
How best to clean this?

I'm concerned that the rough surface, if not all removed, may be a good place for bacteria to hide.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

"What's in your goblet?!"
---
Model 30A; SN 0130
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be clear, PBW is "powered brewery wash", a name brand. It's an environmentally friendly alkali cleaner that's Safe for use on metals, rubber gaskets, tubing, plastic parts, etc. Easy Clean from what I can tell (I looked it up) is a no-rinse oxygen-based cleanser for all beer-brewing and wine-making equipment that is safe for all materials. So Easy Clean is not PBW.

There's different types/grades of stainless. Some may or may not react differently to different types of cleaners.

Best suggestion I can make is contact the Easy Clean manufacturer with what your kettle's made of (what kind/grade of stainless) and ask why you're seeing what you are. I've never heard of Easy Clean myself, but maybe someone else has.

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
fseider

Location: Two Naked Frogs Brewery; Reading, PA (USA); Interests: Beer, Frogs, Steampunk, Being Naked

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair response - will do that tomorrow. Easy clean is from 'LD Carlson' and seems to be the same active ingredients as PBW. Hopefully the manufacturer can tell me more.

Thanks,

---
Model 30A; SN 0130
mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently purchased a 304 (18/8) grade stainless steel kettle and the manufacturer included a sample packet of Craft Meister Alkaline Brewery Wash (ABW). The manufacturer claims it doesn't leave a chalky residue and rinses off easily.
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fseider,
Do you have very hard water in your area? I only ask because I've heard the same thing and experienced it with hard water and OxiClean Free. I was told to use distilled water or RO water. I haven't taken that advise yet but wanted to see if it applied to your case maybe.

View user's photo album (3 photos)
fseider

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dp Brewing Company wrote:
fseider,
Do you have very hard water in your area? I only ask because I've heard the same thing and experienced it with hard water and OxiClean Free. I was told to use distilled water or RO water. I haven't taken that advise yet but wanted to see if it applied to your case maybe.

Actually our water is fairly hard. Just never had any issue previously, but sitting 2 weeks seems to be culprit.

---
Model 30A; SN 0130
fseider

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update - Finally had to get serious and tackle this. After over two hours with 2 of us and elbow grease, we then came across an article that suggested Star San or vinegar. We used a couple of drops of Star San on a mild abrasive sponge (kitchenware safe) and the residue literally wiped right off in minutes.
---
Model 30A; SN 0130
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: