Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

My oxygen setup
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Interesting point. So if look at the White Labs experiment they talk about in the Yeast book (page 79) they say:

Quote:
Injected pure O2 into 5.3 gallons of 1.077 wort using a .5 micron stone at a flow rate of 1 LPM. 30 seconds pure O2 produced 5.12 ppm, 60 seconds gave 9.2 ppm, and 120 seconds gave 14.08 ppm

So they did not do it inline like you did.

Your times are very low (only a few seconds). For example, for a 5 gallon batch if I want 10ppm your spreadsheet tells me I'd have to flow pure O2 at a rate of 1 L/min for only 8 seconds, not 60. Even if you do double (16 seconds) that seems really low compared to the Wyeast experiment.

So I take it you're super-saturating the wort only a few a few seconds during the chilling given that it's an in-line O2 stone you're using? Ie: It may take you 20 mins to chill but you're only using the O2 stone for a few seconds at the end of the flow?

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
chastuck

Drinking: Bitter

Working on: IPA

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's correct. I only run the oxygen at the end of the wort flow, not the entire cooling time.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
andrzejk2

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it works like that https://web.facebook.com/piwolab/videos/1889007451358329/
Thanks chastuck.

Drinking: Naked Singularity Stout, Hurricane Bohemian Pilsner, Pineapple Cider, Ich bin ein Berlinerweiss, AbbyNormal Glutton Free Lambic

Working on: Vienna Lager. Witty name to follow.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the same setup, but for oxygenation, I've been chilling the wort in my plate chiller to take the bulk of the heat out, then using the cooling coil in my conical to bring it the rest of the way down to pitching temperature (hard to get below 90 degrees in summer with our water temps) and once the wort is chilled, I put an oxygenation stone in the dump valve port, turn the O2 on to .5L/min open the dump valve and let it percolate for a few minutes, then pitch and seal.

Not worried if I waste a bit of O2, as I'm feeding off my 244 Cubic Foot tank for my cutting torches.
Cbrave

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it's insignificant with threading at the homebrew level but all sanitizing solutions require a clean surface to be effective. It's not true that sanitizing agent can kill the bugs in grease and grime by merely soaking on top of it.
Firebrewmedic43

Drinking: barrel-aged Foreign Export Stout

Working on: Helles

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject: inline O2 Reply with quote

I posted this pic on another thread but meant to do it here.

chiller 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  214.71 KB
 Viewed:  7122 Time(s)

chiller 2.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: