Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Ball Valve operated Beer Brewing System

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrolison

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Ball Valve operated Beer Brewing System Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Attached, find drawing using valving to accomplish the six brewing steps described in the Electric Brewery[/quote]

valving for the 6-step brewing process.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  valving for the 6-step brewing process.pdf
 Filesize:  143.63 KB
 Downloaded:  1272 Time(s)

Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I'm reading the diagram correctly, you've got a total of 13 valves shown versus the 9 in the "standard" configuration, correct? Are you looking at doing solenoid valves and automating this? Or perhaps doing fixed plumbing with manual valves such that you're not moving hoses around during the brewing process?

Looks like a cool idea! I'd have to say that I wouldn't mind not swapping hoses during brewing.
View user's photo album (6 photos)
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think swapping out hoses is really not that much trouble. I take my time and make sure I get it right and then DOUBLE CHECK all my connections before opening valves and turning on the pumps.
That valve diagram makes my head hurt!
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Kevin59

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huaco wrote:
That valve diagram makes my head hurt!

Yeah it kinda does, but if they were solenoid valves controlled from the main control panel it'd be cool! Smile

(Never mind that it'd cost a bloody fortune in solenoid valves!)
jrolison

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrjofus1959 wrote:
So if I'm reading the diagram correctly, you've got a total of 13 valves shown versus the 9 in the "standard" configuration, correct? Are you looking at doing solenoid valves and automating this? Or perhaps doing fixed plumbing with manual valves such that you're not moving hoses around during the brewing process?

Looks like a cool idea! I'd have to say that I wouldn't mind not swapping hoses during brewing.

It will be fixed plumbing using cam locks to disconnect from the kettles. We are using an allen bradly plc with a MMI to guide the operator through the brewing process that is loaded by way of the particular recipe chosen by the operator. We are using 3-phase pumps driven by VFD controllers and flow meters to gauge the the various quantities of liquids and their time frames through the brewing process.The ball valves will be operated manually at first but could possibly go to motor operated ball valves in the future. We are planning to use this system for a small brewpub restaurant we are in the process of building. Hopefully we will be able to produce two batches a day and will maintain enough fermenters to insure our customers get only fresh brewed beer Mug
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are putting that much automation into this thing, why not build a "panel" that covers all the valve bodies and just leaves the valve control visible. That would give you a panel to mount small pilot lights on. The lights would be fired by the controller and direct the brewer which valve needs to be opened/closed. Just place two lights per valve in the location that corresponds with where the valve handle needs to be.

Just my $.02
View user's photo album (10 photos)
jrolison

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huaco wrote:
If you are putting that much automation into this thing, why not build a "panel" that covers all the valve bodies and just leaves the valve control visible. That would give you a panel to mount small pilot lights on. The lights would be fired by the controller and direct the brewer which valve needs to be opened/closed. Just place two lights per valve in the location that corresponds with where the valve handle needs to be.

Just my $.02

The MMI or man machine interface has the graphics necessary to accomplish what you describe but are not sure it is necessary. The valves will be numbered and through each operation the MMI would alert and give written instructions of the valves to be closed and opened. How ever the graphics you describe would be simpler alternative....thanks for your interest Mug
Kevin59

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to post pics when you get this baby running! Sounds like an interesting setup.
tools

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen Black Heart Brewery's site? Worth a look.

Tools
Roadglide

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noticed your schematic and as I'm in the process of designing / building my electric brewery I thought I'd post a drawing of my plumbing outline.

My only concern with what I have laid out is sizing the pumps to be able to be able to adequately move the fluids through the various valves.

Anyone care to comment - thanks.

Plumbing.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  127.02 KB
 Viewed:  21301 Time(s)

Plumbing.jpg

MGBrewery

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is amazing! Thanks you for providing this schamtic!!!! You have any completed build pictures?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: