Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
Home ]   [ Products ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ What's New ]   [ About / Contact  ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Using a stir plate and flask to make a yeast starter
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: German Lager, Electric Pale Ale (sessionable), Mild, NEIPA, Schwarzbier, Kölsch, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

Working on: Belgian Saison

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Added some info/pictures to the first post on the induction cooktop and saucepan I use... always wanted to get 100% out of the kitchen. Now it's done! Works great too - much faster than the flame burner on the stove I was using before. I should have known that electricity was better than gas! Wink

Kal

View user's photo album (21 photos)
blazinlow86

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm was gonna order this stirplate but noticed the link has 2 available. The 801 at 79.00 and the 601 with stand for 49.00. anyone know the difference. They appear to have the same specs? Thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: German Lager, Electric Pale Ale (sessionable), Mild, NEIPA, Schwarzbier, Kölsch, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

Working on: Belgian Saison

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want the 801. The 601 comes with a holder you don't need for our application. Not sure if they are the same base model stirrer. I would assume not given that it costs less to add the holder. Good luck!

Kal

View user's photo album (21 photos)
blazinlow86

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ended up buying the malestrom and a 1L and 5L flasks. when i was gonna order the 801 it was 80$ plus whatever for the holder. the malestrom was on sale for 105 and its big enough to hold the 5L flask. its a beast on full speed too. both of my last brews have been with the stirplate, liquid yeast and pure o2 for aeration compared to my old method of shaking the carboy and sprinkling us-05 on the top and they have both been VERY good. all the others have had a similar off flavor too them.
David_H

Drinking: Dry Irish Stout, Electric Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, Irish Red Ale

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Once cooled it's dumped in a flask that's already half full of cold water.

So you are only boiling half of the water (w/ DME) and then mixing with cold water to bring the liquid volume up to the total volume? Do you pre-boil the cold water or just use tap water?

Kal Clone Controller
20 gallon Spike Brewing 3-Kettle System
SS Brewtech 14 gallon fermenter w/ gycol chiller
4 tap keezer with Nitro Tap
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: