Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Motorized Grain Mill Cart

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Motorized Grain Mill Cart Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I got tired of the inability to control the speed of milling (lots of starts and stops - fast and slow), the inevitable sharp wrist torque, and the strain of high torque/ low speed wear on my electric hand drill (it actually smoked once), so I finally got around to building a motorized mill cart. Obviously there are a ton of builds out there - just thought I'd share what I did.

Instead of rehashing it all, this is a link that I followed almost entirely to a "T". There's a good conversation on different motor and switch wirings. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=373083
Pages 1, 10 and 11 applied the most to my build. Referencing the first post on page 11, I had to switch T5 (on post 4) with T8 (on post 3) to get my mill to turn the correct direction.

I bought the 3/4 hp motor and heavy duty cart from Amazon, built the motor and gear drive bases out of MDF and spray painted them black, already had the three roller Monster Mill, and used a floor register to funnel grist into my bucket. I'll probably fashion a fabric of some kind around the chute exit to reduce dust, but haven't decided on the material yet. Open to suggestions.

Brewery Build - http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28523
Fermentation Cabinet Build - http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30544

IMG_8794.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  283.9 KB
 Viewed:  28191 Time(s)

IMG_8794.jpg

IMG_8795.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  255.22 KB

IMG_8795.jpg

IMG_8799.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  279.46 KB

IMG_8799.jpg

g8tors

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good. How did you fasten the floor register to the cart?

Scott
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g8tors wrote:
looks good. How did you fasten the floor register to the cart?

To clarify, I used a stack boot with a 4" round - visible in top right of first picture. http://www.homedepot.com/p/10-in-x-3-1-4-in-to-4-in-Stack-Boot-SB10X3-25X4/100129949. I found that while it had natural flanges that I could bend out to rest on the table, that I could pretty easily form it to my cut out hole. I should have made the hole a little shorter and wider, but it worked just fine. I just had to make a few cuts with a tin snip to get it the right shape.

I placed it in the hole, bent the flanges out and banged it into shape with a hammer, and taped it to the cart with black duct tape. The Monster Mill base covers almost all of the tape, but as you can see from the first picture the mill opening is nearly right against one of the base edges.

(I think I mounted the MM3 backwards, but it wouldn't change that some tape is exposed if I switched it around. I had just cleaned the MM3, adjusted the gap and marked various gap widths on the housing, so I decided to leave it be instead of having to start over)

IMG_8765.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.23 KB
 Viewed:  28082 Time(s)

IMG_8765.jpg

IMG_8767.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  102.79 KB

IMG_8767.jpg

IMG_8771.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  159.45 KB

IMG_8771.jpg

mvakoc

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. This past weekend I completed a very similar build based on posts from this forum.

I finally wore out my barley crusher (after 5 years). The "teeth" where worn down and it would often get stuck. I decided to craft a lifetime replacement.

Similar to yours I went with Monster Mill but the 2 grain pro (2" roller) version. I haven't actually milled a full batch yet but I keep throwing in some left over grains just to watch it work and couldn't be more pleased.

IMG_0696 (3).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  207.57 KB
 Viewed:  28066 Time(s)

IMG_0696 (3).jpg

McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours is great, and you're right, they're amazingly similar. My build has a 10:1 worm drive gear reducer and a 1800 RPM motor, so final RPM is 180. Are you able to control the speed of your motor, or what is it's RPM?
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, I use the cheap worm drive drill from harbor fright with variable speed, its geared very slow and works great

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGruber wrote:
Yours is great, and you're right, they're amazingly similar. My build has a 10:1 worm drive gear reducer and a 1800 RPM motor, so final RPM is 180. Are you able to control the speed of your motor, or what is it's RPM?

Roughly the same. The motor was advertised at 180 RPM but the labels show an actual speed of 1650 RPM and 10:1 reducer, so it is ~165 RPM and fixed. I think this speed is significantly more than I got with my Makita drill on the slower/high torque setting using the barley crusher previously. The motor is 1/2 hp.

It tears through grain (figuratively, not in a bad literal sense) and although I currently have the gap set the same as usual with the barley crusher (0.45), the milled grain looks different -- perhaps finer. It will be interesting to note if this affects my extremely consistent 88% efficiency in either direction.
Select22

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a nice looking setup
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look very good, nice work. I noticed that you don't have a way to keep the grain dust contained. I've attached a few pictures of a bucket mod I use and it works great at keeping the dust from covering everything in the brew area. Hope this helps, Castermmt Mug

Bucket 5.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  154.1 KB
 Viewed:  27782 Time(s)

Bucket 5.jpg

Bucket 6.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  136.7 KB

Bucket 6.jpg

Bucket 4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  161.21 KB

Bucket 4.jpg

Bucket 3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  142.81 KB

Bucket 3.jpg

Bucket 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  126.69 KB

Bucket 2.jpg

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. Thanks Castermmt. I do have a dryer vent clamp that you can see attached to the chute that I was planning on hooking up a sock/ fabric tube of some kind, but you're idea is very practical. Does the spigot on your bucket have any purpose for your mill? I assumed it's just a repurposed brewing bucket but pic "Bucket #6" seems to be just of the spigot.
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGruber wrote:
I like it. Thanks Castermmt. I do have a dryer vent clamp that you can see attached to the chute that I was planning on hooking up a sock/ fabric tube of some kind, but you're idea is very practical. Does the spigot on your bucket have any purpose for your mill? I assumed it's just a repurposed brewing bucket but pic "Bucket #6" seems to be just of the spigot.

Just an unused bottling bucket. I started out without the cover, then after one grind I realized I need to manage the dust. I cut my tube to be about 1/4 inch inside the bucket and have to tilt it very slightly getting it in and out, but that allows me to trap the dust better.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job McGruber, and all who shared theirs also! I really need to motorize mine and I might just do it later this year.

John

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! I love those carts. My build is below - I added pantyhose - waist around bucket, one leg around the vent hole - and drop the fabric chute into the leg - zero dust.

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28627

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=314470#314470
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: