Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

inline oxygenation

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inkedbrewer

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:25 am    Post subject: inline oxygenation Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
i'm wondering if anyone has a parts list of what is needed to add an inline oxygenation system
to the counter flow wort chiller. I was thinking of purchasing the one from MoreBeer.com

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would worry about something like this much farther down the road, if you think you need it, after you have a few dozen brews under your belt.

I've never used one myself and have never experienced stuck fermentations or poor attenuation in beers ranging from 3% simple bitters to 12% barleywines.

This is what I use to aerate wort: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/parts-list-using?page=12

On this cordless drill: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/High-powered-3-8-or-1-2-variable-speed-reversible-VSR-drill

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
chastuck

Drinking: Bitter

Working on: IPA

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's our I did my in-line oxygen setup: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27776&highlight=
Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one I built for my setup a couple of years ago.

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=296800#296800

I used it a few times and then decided it was more trouble than it was worth for me. (READ: I'm too lazy to have one more thing to clean at the end of the brew day! Wink)

Now I splash the heck out of my wort as I pump it into my fermenter to "aerate", then pitch yeast from a starter and all is well.
View user's photo album (6 photos)
jimboh

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top of my fastferments are only 6 inches from the ceiling in my beer room in the basement. I can't get a drill with a degas tool or even a stirrer into the top to properly oxygenate so I was considering placing an inline aeration stone on the output from the wort chiller.
I was just going to buy an aquarium fish tank air pump, sanitary filter and 2 micron stone and a SS tee to mount it in.

Will this method provide sufficient oxygenation? Or would I need to go pure Oxygen (I'd rather not).
David_H

Drinking: Dry Irish Stout, Electric Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, Irish Red Ale

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to the Venturi Aeration that I am using. There is a very large head of foam in the fermenter after passing through this venturi.

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=320711#320711

Though, this sucks air in, not oxygen.

David

Kal Clone Controller
20 gallon Spike Brewing 3-Kettle System
SS Brewtech 14 gallon fermenter w/ gycol chiller
4 tap keezer with Nitro Tap
jimboh

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David, I saw your solution when I searched before posting and it looks real neat and no pump needed.
I was looking at the 1/2 NPT threaded stone simply because it would fit neatly and permanently in my setup. One thing I didn't consider was that an SS aeration stone fitted permanently in the chiller output may be a sanitary issue as it may be difficult to clean.

I see people arguing against screw thread fittings in the wort cold side, I have just been pumping boiling wort through the coil and output pipe back into the wort (until the pipes are full) and then let it stand for 5 minutes full of very hot water.

With your Venturi system is the pipework rigid? Only I have only seen those pipe fittings (the T) used with rigid pipe.

I have a quick disconnect fitting on the Chiller output and I use one of my female/female hoses connected to a long male/male hose through a hole in the floor to my basement and ferementer below. the hose is silicone 1/2 in ID.

I could make a shorter Female/Female quick disconnect tube with a short length of hose with your tee in the middle. Or maybe it would be possible to use a SS Tee and a 1/2in NPT to 1/4in barb fitting as the venturi (grind off the nut on the barb fitting and screw it in barb first? What do you think?

Edit: Duh, will a thread even screw in backwards???
David_H

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With your Venturi system is the pipework rigid? Only I have only seen those pipe fittings (the T) used with rigid pipe.

The tubing is polypropylene, I would call it semi-rigid. I have also used those fittings with flexible anti-microbal tubing. The pressure is very low at the venturi < 1-2 psi. I can push 11 gallons through the venturi in about 10 minutes or so.

I am using a counterflow plate chiller with 1/2" threaded fittings, I'll take a photo of that end of the system next change I get.

Kal Clone Controller
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimboh wrote:
Thanks David, I saw your solution when I searched before posting and it looks real neat and no pump needed.
I was looking at the 1/2 NPT threaded stone simply because it would fit neatly and permanently in my setup. One thing I didn't consider was that an SS aeration stone fitted permanently in the chiller output may be a sanitary issue as it may be difficult to clean.

Hey jimboh, the picture of my set up is right above David_H's in his link. I use the threaded stone into a T. It works fine, and in two years I've never taken it apart and never had a sanitation issue. After brewing I circle hot PBW for about 10 minutes through the CFC/ aeration T, and then rinse. Before brew day I run star san through it and my whirlpool for about 10 min. Technically you could still have sanitation issues with the Venturi. It also has dead zones and places for contaminants to hide, but I think a similar cleaning regimen would probably be good enough.

That being said, even with a 0.1 -0.3 lpm flow regulator I've had trouble adjusting the O2 flow rate, have had excessive foaming in the fermenter and I think I've been over oxygenating. No off flavors that I've noticed, but it is possible to give wort too much O2 (too high a level is toxic for yeast) and I've had some slow fermentations. I could definitely limit the amount of O2 I give, but calculating flow rate/volume is hard, and over or under oxygenating isn't good. For consistencies sake, I think I'm going to find a way to do what David_H did, but maybe with stainless steel. I'll probably adapt the stone I have to a trip-clamp fitting and just oxygenate from the bottom of the conical for high gravity beers and use the wand I have for yeast starters. This will save on O2 usage and really simplify the set up. Unless you do barleywines all the time, from a cost and effort standpoint you'd probably be better off doing inline aeration. It's perfectly good for 95% of beers. Just my opinion.
jimboh

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think that the venturi method will oxygenate more effectively than an aquarium pump and stone inline?
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimboh wrote:
Do you think that the venturi method will oxygenate more effectively than an aquarium pump and stone inline?

Either is fine. So long as it's as much as you need, you can't physically over oxygenate using aeration. I'm not looking at the numbers now, but I think max saturation of air is 8 ppm, which is perfect for most beers. So long as you're not under-aerating it doesn't matter if it's sucked into the tube or pumped into it. My guess is pumping it, and using a stone, would ensure the maximum amount is added and would keep bubble size small which ensures better saturation, but I really don't know if the Venturi would work just as well or not. It's possible. If you already have the stone though, I'd go with the aquarium pump.
David_H

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'm using the venturi, I think the venturi is adequate. (Obviously biased) There is a very audible sucking sound and obvious bubbles and foam in the fermenter. There is easily 2-3 gallons of foam (if that is a viable measure of foam) on top of the wort in the fermenter.

Kal Clone Controller
jimboh

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the idea of the venturi, but I would rather do something in stainless that I can perhaps boil after each batch. Any ideas on how you would do it with a stainless Tee?
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David_H wrote:
There is easily 2-3 gallons of foam (if that is a viable measure of foam) on top of the wort in the fermenter.

I'd say that it's working perfectly then.

@ jimboh - The only way to really know if anything is "adequate" would be to test your wort using a Dissolved Oxygen (DO) meter...IF you want to really geek out and have about three hundred dollars laying around.
jimboh

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@McGruber Yes I guess so. I have made hundreds of batches with kits before getting into All Grain and all I ever did was give it a bit of a stir and I reckon all the beers turned out ok. Just trying to do things as right as I can now I have the Electric Brewery.
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimboh wrote:
@McGruber Yes I guess so. I have made hundreds of batches with kits before getting into All Grain and all I ever did was give it a bit of a stir and I reckon all the beers turned out ok. Just trying to do things as right as I can now I have the Electric Brewery.

If you've seen my builds you know that I completely understand. Mug Let us know if you go stainless Venturi or aquarium pump; I'd like to get ideas on it too.
David_H

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my thoughts on an almost off the shelf SS Venturi.
Use 3/8" OD SS Tubing, swag the end down to about 1/8" ID (this is the hard / expensive part)
Connect this into a SS Compression Tee Fitting.
Connect another piece of 3/8" Tubing to the output side allowing the swagged portion to nest inside the output tubing.
Attach the sanitary air filter to the upstanding leg of the Tee.
The input tubing and output tube would then attach to your Silicone Tubing with hose clamps.

Just my thoughts. Or google SS Venturi and contact one of the suppliers.

Kal Clone Controller
jimboh

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it again posted in the wrong thread. So here it is again:
This is what I went for. Big fail.

I bought a small aquarium pump to go with this setup.

I wrongly assumed:
a) the holes in the stainless 2 micron aeration stone would be too small to pass liquid and
b) that a small pump would be sufficient.

I reckon I need a one way check valve Embarassed . I didn't turn it on until I started pumping the wort into my fermenter. I had wort running through the stone and filter and up the hose. Did not reach the pump. When I turned on the pump it pushed the wort back some but did not have sufficient pressure to get air into the stone.

Maybe with a check valve and turn it on before starting wort pump it may work. I will have to trial it with water.

Also, considering changing so the center of the first tee joins to the center of the second tee with the stone coming in at the top and the quick attach at the bottom, will that make any difference ? (Fluid mechanics/dynamics is not my strong point Confused

IMG_20170630_182356026.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  89.25 KB
 Viewed:  15794 Time(s)

IMG_20170630_182356026.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: