Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

New house! New brewery!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anticlimaddox

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject: PTE tape Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm replacing the G2 Kettle valves with 3pc balls valves per...
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27425

Should this connection have PTE tape? What is the logic behind when and when NOT to use it. I know compression fittings don't, neither is it recommended on the Blichmann brewmometer.

I'm fine following directions case by case, but wondering the logic.

thx // b

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any tapered (NPT) threads need to have tape applied. I have seen people say that about compression fittings, but... unless my understanding is wildly accurate, compression fittings need tape on the NPT side, but not on the compression side. If you were to put tape on the compression side, it could actually prevent a seal from happening as the tape might prevent the compression from... compressing enough.

Blichmann's brewmometer is a straight thread - not tapered - which is why it requires no tape.

So yes, your ball valves will probably need tape because the nipple is NPT. It may be possible to connect certain fittings without needing tape, but in my experience there is no way to tell which ones are which unless you simply use tape on all tapered threads.
Anticlimaddox

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tungsten.

The blichmann fitting for the ball valve is not tapered either which is probably why Kal's page doesn't show tape. Your tapered comment helps make some sense of when and why. And yeah, I put tape on the threaded side of the compression fitting.

Cheers.

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm leak-free on all the fittings on all 3 pots with the exception of where I have replaced the G2 valves. It isn't anything major, like a drop or two over 10 min but not water-tight. Do I just need to crank down on it harder? It's the same deal on the 2 pots I've swapped valves on - have yet to do the third. Any thoughts? I am using the correct size silicone and stainless washer pairing per Kal's directions.

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put tape on everything threaded tapered or not it keeps you from tightening too much for one and just a safeguard for not leaking when hot, you know joints loosen when hot
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anticlimaddox wrote:
So I'm leak-free on all the fittings on all 3 pots with the exception of where I have replaced the G2 valves. It isn't anything major, like a drop or two over 10 min but not water-tight. Do I just need to crank down on it harder? It's the same deal on the 2 pots I've swapped valves on - have yet to do the third. Any thoughts? I am using the correct size silicone and stainless washer pairing per Kal's directions.

If you're having leaking issues I'd probably undo, throw some teflon tape on, and re-tighten.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Anticlimaddox

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just did the 3rd pot and its water tight. Re-reading your directions, what I did on the first two was line it all up and then tighten by turning the Blichmann nut (insert joke here). Which I think pinched the silicone washer a bit. Taking the first two apart they didn't look like they squished evenly. So on this 3rd I held the nut in place with both washers set and turned the valve instead. Seemed like PTE would just interfere with how that washer is intended to work with the stainless washer? Anyway - replacing the other 2 now.
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anticlimaddox wrote:
...and then tighten by turning the Blichmann nut (insert joke here).

I think John Blichmann just winced. Wink

Kal

Anticlimaddox

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, each valve needed to be disassembled and refit about 4x but persistence prevails. They are now on, wet-tested and leak free with some PTE tape on each one.

On to the one I'm not looking forward to - the compression fittings on the coil. These gave me the most trouble on my last setup.

So the arms of the coil (the straight lengths) are too long and need trimmed down. Going to look at the hardware store for a sturdier cutter, my copper pipe cutter *works on SS tubing, but tends to 'walk'. My question for anyone who's installed these... the SS tubing only seats in the compression fitting about 3/4" - that seem right? (see photo below, I marked where it stops with a sharpie.) I know there are bored-through versions of these compression fittings that allow the tubing to go all the way them - guess that is what Im used to. Does this little bit seem correct?

Also, I'm assuming this is the order of installing these coils. Attach bulkhead to pot (as in pics), then attach coil to bulkheads with compression fitting? Not the other way around?

thx // brian

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anticlimaddox wrote:
My question for anyone who's installed these... the SS tubing only seats in the compression fitting about 3/4" - that seem right?

Yup. As long as it's all the way in and there's enough to compress and seal.

Quote:
Also, I'm assuming this is the order of installing these coils. Attach bulkhead to pot (as in pics), then attach coil to bulkheads with compression fitting? Not the other way around?

Correct. Follow the instructions/pictures here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/hot-liquor-tank?page=4

Kal

dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That all looks normal to me. And yes bulkhead to kettle then compression fitting to coil.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Anticlimaddox

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for the quick responses kal and dp! Sorry to overthink this, just was a nightmare last time doing this. Cheers.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: 99% there Reply with quote

Happy to report that the brewery is 99% complete. Having a celebratory beer after full wet tests. I have one leak on my plate chiller where a compression fitting was holding a thermometer, ordered a NPT threaded one instead which will fix that. Water report should come this week. BrewPi, which apparently buggered up its SD card during our move, is now reinstalled and back up and running. Should be having Brew Day 1 in a couple weeks. Might try Kal's Ruthless Rye clone or a big burly Belgian Quad - 10% right out the gate.

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So close! Good luck on the first brew!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: