Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

All flange plugs in the control panel?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobH

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: All flange plugs in the control panel? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm wondering, since everything except the end of the cord that attaches to the house's electrical system is 'proprietary' and we are making our own cords, would using flange plugs in all the control panel spots be more secure since they are recessed as well as locking? My system will be on wheels so I can push it to the corner of my garage and pull it out to brew so I was wondering if having the recessed plugs might offer additional security from being knocked around or yanked out while rolling the brewery around. I understand that live power is always put in a receptacle to have it protected from accidental contact, but flange plugs are recessed and semi-protected and in practice, everything will stay plugged in all the time. They will also be on switches so the plugs won't be a constant source of unprotected live current.

Another way to ask this is: Do the recessed, "innie", flange plugs offer any additional security because they are recessed or are the "outie" flange receptacles secure enough that a recessed connection doesn't add anything? I've never used locking plugs & outlets before.

Thank you.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Do you have a link or example of what you mean by flange plugs? Like a manufacturer part number? Google's not finding anything...

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
BobH

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. What I'm calling the 'flange plug' is what the main power cord is connected to. I thought I saw that written somewhere but now that I look closer, it seems they are being called flanged inlets versus the flanged outlets for all of the other power connections at the panel.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

For sake of standardization in terminology, here are the 3 devices used from the build instructions:

All cables that attach to the control panel are locking for safety reasons.

The main power cord connects to a male locking receptacle on the control panel. The other end of the main power cord uses a standard 30A dryer or 50A stove plug. Here's our 30A power cord:

See: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-power-cord

Cheers!

Kal

BobH

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main power cord enters the control panel via a cord connector into a male locking receptacle. All of the other receptacles on the control panel are female locking receptacles.

My question is: Does a cord connector into a male/inlet locking receptacle offer more security since the inlet surrounds and offers more contact area than a female/outlet locking receptacle that is only connected via the tines of the plug? Since my brewery will be moving around the garage on wheels, would it be beneficial to have all male locking receptacles on the control panel for the added protection of having the locking connections surrounded by the receptacle/interior of the control panel?

I know that by using all male locking receptacles I would be backwards of the standard wiring conventions but the male receptacle is still recessed and semi protected. I am making the cords so I would just order alternate part numbers and use connectors instead of plugs at the end of the cords. There are still switches controlling all of the receptacles and nothing else but the brewing equipment will ever need to be connected to the control panel.
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if you want to take the chance of killing yourself with electricity. I wouldn't suggest doing what you are asking. The reason the main panel power cable is female is to protect the user. Think about if you plugged into your power source (wall) first before you plugged into your panel.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
BobH

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main power cord would stay the same. All of the other cords would be set up just like the main power cord: cord connector going into a male receptacle instead of cord plug into female receptacle.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not safe.

Like dp Brewing mentioned, the choice of male vs female receptacles on the control panel is based 100% of safety. Same reason why regular 15A wall outlets in your home are female instead of male. You don't want someone zapping themselves by touching the live spades on the wall inadvertently.

Using all male receptacles would be very dangerous as current/electricity would be accessible to fingers on the heating element and pump receptacles. I highly recommend you not build the way you propose. When designing/building electrical devices no spade or contact should ever present high voltages/currents in the open allowing someone to touch it.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: