Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

old chest freezer to ferment chamber with glycol chiller?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kkroeker

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: old chest freezer to ferment chamber with glycol chiller? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have what may be an off the wall question. has anyone used a glycol system to chill a chest freezer for a fermentation chamber? If so, how? Using food grade glycol of course.

I have a keezer I built that bit the dust. Compressor quit. It was second hand when I got it and not worth the money to get repaired. It had served me and many beers well. I am building a new keezer as a replacement.

I am in the middle of building a glycol chiller from an old window AC and ice chest for a conical I have so I can ferment in my garage as opposed to in the house. It worked great in the winter when heat was needed, but now it is warm, I need to cool it down. And it is always fun to build stuff for the "cool" factor.

So trying to justify the glycol chiller more with my wife and not have to dispose of an insulated box, I was hoping to combine the two functions into a fermentation chamber. Where I don't have to hold the temps as cold as a Keezer.

I haven't seen anything in my searching online as to doing this. Or maybe I don't know what to search for. Thoughts were to maybe create/repurpose a copper coil to pump the glycol through and a fan to blow over it. Another thought was to run a bunch of copper pipe all over the inside of the chest freezer. I have questions if that would be enough with a fan on that as opposed to a coil with a fan. I would use a temp controller of some kind hooked to a pump in the glycol chiller to circulate the liquid.

Any thoughts or direction would be much appreciated.

-Karl
wscottcross

Drinking: Launch IPA, Double Sunshine clone, Maple Coffee breakfast stout

Working on: expanding my beer horizons (and my beltline)

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the simplest way to do that would be to use a temp controller (such as an Inkbird ITC308) connected to a submersible pond pump and run the glycol lines into the keezer. Put a small radiator with a fan in the keezer and power the fan from the same temp controller or just keep the fan running all the time.

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: old chest freezer to ferment chamber with glycol chiller Reply with quote

kkroeker wrote:
I haven't seen anything in my searching online as to doing this. Or maybe I don't know what to search for. Thoughts were to maybe create/repurpose a copper coil to pump the glycol through and a fan to blow over it.

I agree with you and wscottcross that your plan will work, and that air movement will be the most efficient way to do this. Sounds like you want to do something similar to what I did. Check here. http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30544&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=20
Look halfway down page 2 for glycol radiator build.
Master

Drinking: Naked Singularity Stout, Hurricane Bohemian Pilsner, Pineapple Cider, Ich bin ein Berlinerweiss, AbbyNormal Glutton Free Lambic

Working on: Vienna Lager. Witty name to follow.

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a Keezer, but my glycol system is this:

50' of copper tube zip tied to the rack in my kegerator freezer.
Plastic Tub. Has RV antifreeze in the pic, it's Propylene Glycol now.
Bulkhead fittings through freezer wall, run to cooling coil in the fermentor.

Fermentor.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.53 KB
 Viewed:  14033 Time(s)

Fermentor.jpg

Glycol Reservoir.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  39.22 KB
 Viewed:  14033 Time(s)

Glycol Reservoir.jpg

Master

Drinking: Naked Singularity Stout, Hurricane Bohemian Pilsner, Pineapple Cider, Ich bin ein Berlinerweiss, AbbyNormal Glutton Free Lambic

Working on: Vienna Lager. Witty name to follow.

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Kegerator set to 37F, Freezer compartment stays 0-10F with an ale at 67F in a 90F garage.
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work!
View user's photo album (3 photos)
kkroeker

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is some great stuff!!

I ended up going to a parts store and spoke to the oldest guy there. (They can genrally think without having to have a make and model). He knew exactly what I wanted to do and pulled a couple heater cores options from the back. No idea what they were to. Most are smaller than larger and the bigger more cost and special order. I got one for $12 to try out.

Plan is as above mentioned to pump the glycol from the tank through lines to heater core and back. Have a large computer fan to blow over it. And use an ink bird or other temp controller for the pump.

I pushed chilled water through it last night. Not even a mock up. Just held the core and had a pump hat was too small of flow, but it proved concept. I'm excited. I hope to take pictures as I actually put it together.

I'm going to use food grade glycol only because I had a bad seal on my ss brewtech conical coil extender . Ended messing up a batch of beer and filled it to the top. Found out there was a problem when I noticed the pump was making lots of noise and no water in the container.

-Karl
kkroeker

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. If I could figure out how to add pictures from my phone I would. Too large it says. lol

For reference, my set up is in my Shop which is not temperature controlled. Just a metal building setting out in Rural Oklahoma taking the heat and cold as it comes.

Basically I took the Heater Core i got from the Parts store and ran the chilled liquid through it. I just drilled holes in the collar for the metal heater core lines to go through and made the connections outside the chest. I zip tied a computer fan to the back of the Heater Core and have it blowing all the time through it. Finally I have a pump hooked to a Ranco temp controller to pump the chilled liquid through heater core when the temp gets too warm. Both send and return lines are in black pipe insulation. This has resulted in consistent temps. I can chill down to 42 degrees using just water in my DIY Glycol Chiller. I am confident this will work over the summer. As for the winter, I am looking to upgrade the temp controller to one that can do both hot and cold, and will add a light bulb or maybe some kind of hose wrap into the chest to keep the temps up in the colder months.

-Karl
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: