Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Stuck fitting mlt

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalleh

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:35 am    Post subject: Stuck fitting mlt Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi all,
Did a stupid thing and put the ball valve on backwards on the mlt (so the valve handle turns the wrong way). Noticed too late and got everything good and tight before I noticed.

So, I got the ball valve, nut, and washer/o ring off the outside of the kettle, leaving the nipple through the kettle with the street elbow attached to it inside the kettle.

Reassembled the outside parts, but am now unable to tighten it sufficiently (and the elbow tightens no more) so it leaks.

I'd be happiest to do it all over (even with a few new fittings) but now I can't get the nipple out of the kettle. I'm afraid to wiggle it too much to pull it through and possibly damage the kettle wall/hole. Would it damage it?

The elbow doesn't want to move relative to the nipple. Any way to loosen that up?

My least preferred solution is to leave things as they are and add two o rings, but if that's it, that's it.

Thanks for any advice.... I'm almost there!

Edit: kettles are stainless-Blichmanns

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice grips, latch on and screw

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solved it. Here's the solution in case any other dimwit ever needs it Smile

The elbow and nipple WOULD NOT budge out of the kettle and the elbow couldn't be tightened or loosened, nor could I tighten the fittings on the outside sufficiently anymore to create a seal. Must've screwed up the threads.

So I at least got the nipple/elbow out of the kettle wall, where it had been hung up by some of the nipple's threads.

Protected the outside of the kettle from filing damage with electrical tape. Pushed the nipple as far outside of the kettle as possible and started filing the threads close to the kettle on the outside of the kettle. Pretty soon the nipple/elbow slid out of the hole in the kettle. Kettle hole looks fine. New fittings all ready to go on tomorrow night.

Whew!

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you figured how to get it off. That can be very frustration when your so close to being done!
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: