Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

All In One - Brewing Stand Build
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brewingpilot89

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: All In One - Brewing Stand Build Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey Everyone,

I've been lurking the forums for a while. I have to give credit to Kal and a lot of the other members for their ideas. Here is my iteration of the brew stand that is in progress. I have a great friend who is a mechanic who helped me along the way with his mad skills. The entire purpose of my build is to have everything contained on the shelving unit with the only thing necessary to do is add water and plug in the stand to 220V. I didn't want to have to have things all over the place and keeping it localized will speed up the brew day process. I'll keep posting photos as the build nears completion.

Started with a garage shelving unit from Costco. Drilled holes in the bottom and added casters.

Tapped holes into the stand and started test fitting all of the aluminum tread plate. We drilled all future holes and mounting points for the electric panel and extra accessories. I went with thinner plate for the sides and thicker plates for the shelves.

Next up was building the vent hood out of angle iron and tread plate which was then riveted together. When it was finished we test fitted and then used a 6" hole saw to cut a hole on the back where the boil kettle will be.

We wanted to put the pumps on a hinged box so when it was mounted to the lower shelf you could flip them up to drain them out after brew day. The box was made from angle iron and tread plate and riveted together as well. A hinge was attached on the inside so it wouldn't be visible. We made the shield out of extra tread plate as well to protect the pumps from drips.

Mounted the chiller onto the stand and put some shims between it for spacing.

As of today the entire stand was disassembled and all the tread plate has gone out for black hammertone powdercoat. The shelves will be candy apple red. I went with the tread plate for a more industrial look rather than just plain aluminum. I should have it reassembled in 2 weeks. From there we need to add the LEDS into the hood, add the handles, hook up the ventilation piping, wire up the spa panel, mount kals electric brewing panel to the side of the stand on a swivel mount, and a few more ins and outs.

I'll keep everyone posted!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job! Looking forward to more pics! Thanks for sharing.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Firebrewmedic43

Drinking: barrel-aged Foreign Export Stout

Working on: Helles

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bp89....definitely looking good
Mr Walleye

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that white thing with the blue stripes your ventilation fan? Seems like overkill! Laughing

Seriously though, very nice build!

Last edited by Mr Walleye on Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:59 am; edited 1 time in total
brewingpilot89

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Walleye wrote:
Is that white thing with the blue strips your ventilation fan? Seems like overkill! Laughing

Seriously though, very nice build!

It is!

http://amzn.to/2oesYAQ

Link modified to support our forum at no cost to you - thank you!
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the same fan I have. Works great and super quiet.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Mr Walleye

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - I mean the other white thing - the one with the big code "59HK" on the side
Newfie-Brew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coating the diamond plate!? But it looks so bad-ass as-is!

What a wicked build. I've been piecing a small system together but I often wish I'd just gone full tilt and engineered a solution like this.

Look forward to seeing the finished product.
brewingpilot89

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Walleye wrote:
Sorry - I mean the other white thing - the one with the big code "59HK" on the side

Oh thats a Cessna 182. I'm building the brewery in the hangar and it will be hooked up to a industrial air exchanger for easy ventilation.
brewingpilot89

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newfie-Brew wrote:
Coating the diamond plate!? But it looks so bad-ass as-is!

What a wicked build. I've been piecing a small system together but I often wish I'd just gone full tilt and engineered a solution like this.

Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Since it's aluminum over time it will look grimy. It's going to look really slick powdercoated and will be more durable long term. Picking up the powdercoated pieces this week then back to assembly.
brewingpilot89

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some updated pics after receiving the pieces back from powdercoat.

Mounting the TV mount to the side of the stand.

Test fitting some duct pieces.

LED Controller and Fan Controller Mounted.

LEDs mounted in the vent hood.

Pump Stand W/Pumps mounted.

Hinged Stand for draining pumps after use.

Control Panel mounted.

Right now I'm waiting on some extended temp probes. I will be wiring up the spa panel directly above the control panel mount with a lock in connector for easy portability. The rest of the build now is just electrical wiring and making some hoses before finishing it all off. I'll have more pics up in a few weeks!
fseider

Location: Two Naked Frogs Brewery; Reading, PA (USA); Interests: Beer, Frogs, Steampunk, Being Naked

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very impressed! Nice job!!
"What's in your goblet?!"
---
Model 30A; SN 0130
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Can't wait to see it 100% done and up and running!

Kal

jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea!
brewingpilot89

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent some more time on the system this week. I mounted handles to the front of the stand, put some outlets in (I didn't want to cut the plugs on the pumps in case I had to replace them), and put an outlet in the back for the vent fan. I wired in an outlet as well for the power source to the spa panel which then is wired to the control panel. All I have to do is plug in the 220V power to the side of the stand and everything is in business! Tomorrow I will finish up the ventilation piping and then I will have to wait for a few more parts to show up before I can really fire this thing up.

brewingpilot89

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy to say that the whole system is operational and leak free!

I will be brewing my first batch tomorrow (simple Hefeweizen). It has been a long project and one that you really need to plan out and think through. I ran into a few little snags. My pump stand idea on the hinge was great except when the pumps were mounted onto it it would tilt forward by itself. I ended up attaching a magnet latch to the back side to keep it up right. When I'm done brewing I can simply tilt the pumps down and they'll rest on the edge of the stand to drain.

A few things I did differently.

I used gates power grip clamps instead of the metal clamps on my hoses. They actually keep tightening as they get warm and have a nice smooth finish. Use acetone to get the white lettering off before you take a heat gun to them.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Gates/465/32915/10002/-1

For the HERMS coil I went with the brewpi version. Not having to deal with compression fittings and a plug and play solution was nice.

https://store.brewpi.com/mashing/herms-coils/weldless-herms-coil-kit-40cm-npt

For the kettle inlets I went with these. It was less pieces to put together.

https://store.brewpi.com/mashing/weldless-kettle-inlet-kit-barbed-npt

The biggest thing for me when designing this was to make it all in one. Having a similar mindset to Kals about doing everything right the first time and getting the more expensive pieces now will pay off down the road. Having everything right on the stand makes it really nice for portability if I ever move it. My goal is to use this as a test system until going full bore into a commercial brewery.

Here are some updated pics.

Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice, I applaud your great effort
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely beautiful! I think the colours turned out great! (Sent you a PM as well...)

Kal

jcav

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, awesome job you should be very proud of your creation!

John

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewingpilot89 send me some nice photos of the completed setup along with a testimonial that I thought I'd share.

Quote:
Kal,

Brewed my first batch today - just a simple Hefeweizen and everything turned out great. I went from extract stove kits to this electric system without any all grain experience. The thing that struck me the most was how hands off this system really is. I found myself staring at my brewery stand wondering why I hadn't gone this route sooner. Clean up was easy and everything functioned perfectly. I chose this approach because I wanted to do it right the first time and not have to upgrade years down the road. Hopefully one day this test system will turn into more than a hobby. I can't wait to brew next weekend and am already planning my next batch.

Thanks a bunch for your hard work and great information.

- Trever from Eden Prairie, MN

Nice job Trever! Happy brewing!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: