Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Russian River Pliny The Younger Triple IPA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Not to be a pessimist, but as wort warms up CO2 comes out of solution so that may be what you're seeing. Wait a week or so and take a gravity reading to be sure.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
pmcgrew

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Not to be a pessimist, but as wort warms up CO2 comes out of solution so that may be what you're seeing. Wait a week or so and take a gravity reading to be sure.

I actually thought about that and swirled the sample pretty good to release gas and then let it sit out for a few hours to make sure it was flat. Didn't change the reading. The sample definitely tasted way better than it did at 1.024.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmcgrew wrote:
I actually thought about that and swirled the sample pretty good to release gas ...

Careful doing that. You don't want to oxygenate the beer. Any time you open the lid on anything overly hoppy you want to purge with CO2. Not really an issue if the beer's actively fermenting though - it's if it's done.

Quote:
The sample definitely tasted way better than it did at 1.024.

What's the gravity at now?

Kal

pmcgrew

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you misunderstood my post. I pulled a sample into my hydrometer tube from the spigot on the Spiedel fermenter. I swirled that to release any gas and took a reading. 1.009.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! That's fine then. Wink Sorry, read too fast and thought you swirled the whole fermenter.

1.009 is great! Wow - it's dropped a long way!

Kal

fseider

Location: Two Naked Frogs Brewery; Reading, PA (USA); Interests: Beer, Frogs, Steampunk, Being Naked

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just brewed this one last night. And was concerned with a potential cleanup chore. While more work to cleanup than is typical, it was not that bad, but does take longer - just work slightly smarter. I'm on my second clean cycle this morning with Easy Clean (A cheaper PBW alternate). Still some oil residue coming through, but significantly less than round one. I'll do a third and a final rinse. So all in all, it takes a little more time to clean, but let the system do it for you. Cleanup concern should not be a deal breaker if deciding to make this.
"What's in your goblet?!"
---
Model 30A; SN 0130
fseider

Location: Two Naked Frogs Brewery; Reading, PA (USA); Interests: Beer, Frogs, Steampunk, Being Naked

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what happened - Brewed this on Sat - very active fermentation, no issues. I am doing the sugar in steps into the fermenter as per the optional instructions. (I have done this in other beers as well previously with no issues) I added 1 LB of sugar tonight (Tuesday) to it - and all of a sudden, after only half of it being poured in slow, the fermenter all of a sudden blew up like a volcano! Foam everywhere - a real mess. (I am using a 14 gal conical).

Not sure of the real reason why, but be warned. Pour sugar / water mix in REAL slow and monitor.

---
Model 30A; SN 0130
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the sugar completely dissolved? If not it can offer micronucleation points for CO2 to cling to and come out of solution quickly, causing huge foam.

Kal

fseider

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Was the sugar completely dissolved? If not it can offer micronucleation points for CO2 to cling to and come out of solution quickly, causing huge foam.

Kal

I am very sure it was dissolved - very hot water, and good stirring for a few minutes. Obviously something 'agitated' the CO2. To your point, could still have been inadequately dissolved sugar I suppose, or the mixture was too warm (I did neglect to check the temp of the solution prior to pouring.) I can't imagine any other variable. Just another learning experience.

---
Model 30A; SN 0130
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup - thanks for the hint! Always prudent to add/mix in slowly.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recipe has been re-written and moved to our new site.

See: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/russian-river-pliny-the-younger-triple-ipa

This thread will remain open for questions. Cheers!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewed this one again yesterday, this time with 50% less CO2 hop extract and it was considerably easier to clean (really not much different than any other beer). Wort tasted great!

Lots of brew day pics/videos add to the bottom of the recipe page: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/russian-river-pliny-the-younger-triple-ipa

Kal

JPH

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, this stuff is delicious. Thanks for the resources, Kal. Couple questions:

I see folks loading syringes with bulk-purchased hop extract and I'm wondering why? Why not just use as a bulk ingredient like any other? If I have hop extract that weighs about 1g/mL, and the recipe calls for 70 mL, why not just add 70g and skip the hassle of loading syringes? Am I missing something?

Also, is anyone actually able to dose oxygen again at +12 hours without foam crawling out of the fermentor like elephant toothpaste?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPH wrote:
I see folks loading syringes with bulk-purchased hop extract and I'm wondering why? Why not just use as a bulk ingredient like any other? If I have hop extract that weighs about 1g/mL, and the recipe calls for 70 mL, why not just add 70g and skip the hassle of loading syringes? Am I missing something?

See my recipe for details as to why this is done:
https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/russian-river-pliny-the-younger-triple-ipa

Quote: "The hop oil level is so high that Russian River uses hop extract for the bittering hops instead of traditional pellet or whole hops. The hop extract isn't isomerised, so it still contains all the oils and volatiles of normal hops (alpha-acids, beta-acids and essential oils). All the resins are extracted from the hop leaving behind the vegetal matter, which means that when hop extract is used, less precious wort is soaked up in the kettle and the possibility of giving the beer a grassy taste is minimized."

JPH wrote:
Also, is anyone actually able to dose oxygen again at +12 hours without foam crawling out of the fermentor like elephant toothpaste?

Do it carefully, with O2 flow turned down. See my guide:
https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/aerating-oxygenating-wort

Cheers!

Kal

JPH

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it—thanks. Sorry if I wasn't clear about what I was saying. I get the reason for using extract and totally agree. What I was curious about was, if one buys extract in bulk—YVH sells 150 g cans, for example—why someone would then repackage the bulk extract into a bunch of 5 or 10 mL syringes, like some up the chain seem to have done. It seems simpler and less messy just to skip the syringes and measure out the bulk amount for the addition. Making "hop shots" out of bulk extract feels like buying a sack of grain, then vacuum-sealing it into individual 5-pound bags, only to open them back up and toss 20 pounds into a grain mill. Not a big deal; y'all are very clever, so just wondering if I'm missing a compelling rationale.

Quote:
Do it carefully, with O2 flow turned down. See my guide:
https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/aerating-oxygenating-wort

Good deal. I thought I was running it pretty slow—I was using one of the Brewer's Edge O2 regulators pushing 1/16 mL/min, but I'm hearing those aren't especially accurate, particularly at the low end. No sweat. Fermentation is perfectly on track and yeast seems healthy, so no issue. Thanks again.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPH wrote:
What I was curious about was, if one buys extract in bulk—YVH sells 150 g cans, for example—why someone would then repackage the bulk extract into a bunch of 5 or 10 mL syringes, like some up the chain seem to have done. It seems simpler and less messy just to skip the syringes and measure out the bulk amount for the addition.

Measuring out as needed is incredibly hard to do given how sticky it is. I imagine it would actually be messier than measuring out as needed. If you have a way that works for you however, go for it, and let us know your experiences.

The other issue is that once the can is opened I imagine the remaining amount should also be stored away from O2. So it needs to be packaged somehow. Syringes solve both issues: Easier to work with and keeps O2 completely away.

JPH wrote:
I thought I was running it pretty slow—I was using one of the Brewer's Edge O2 regulators pushing 1/16 mL/min

That is slow! Are you sure you have that right? I typically do 1 litre per minute (per my oxygenation guide). 1/16 of a mL per minute is 16,000 slower. Definitely shouldn't have any foam at that rate! Smile

Cheers!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: