Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

How to improve HERMS recirculation

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schach23

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: How to improve HERMS recirculation Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey

Long time lurker, spend most of my time searching, great wealth of info here. Didn't find anything regarding my possible issue. When I recirculate the mash I sorta get a partial coverage of the mash. Pics are most helpful. Any thoughts? It really only happens when I do a heavy oat mash which is most of my IPA's (in search of that beautiful NEIPA). Maybe I need more mash water? Using 1.33 qt/lb. I also tend not to hit my pre boil gravity. Usually off by 2-5 points. Thinking I'm just not circulating throughout the entire mash leaving sugars behind. See pics below. First pic you can sort of see a line from top left to bottom right. There is a ridge of grain that the water sorta bumps up against. My pumps are full open 1/2" tubing, 1/2" fittings. Using a converted keg.

And here is a short video

https://www.dropbox.com/s/orzsxyce1ivup8p/Video%20Apr%2030%2C%201%2007%2038%20PM.mov?dl=0

Thanks guys

Scott
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as all the grain is wet, you're fine.

If you find that the grain 'floats' a bit you may have side wall shunting (where the water's going down the side mostly instead of going evenly through the grain bed since it takes the path of least resistance). What false bottom are you using? Got a pic of how well it fits inside the kettle? The one issue with keggles and false bottoms is that there's no lip for the false bottom to sit on so side wall shunting can be an issue. For more info see my MLT build article: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/mash-lauter-tun

What mill gap are you using? Looser is better for recirculating systems. I recommend no tighter than 0.045". If you're having issues you may want to go as loose as 0.050" or even 0.055". For more info see my grain mill article: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/grain-mill

Mill too tight and having side wall shunting issues means the water is even more apt to want to take the path of least resistance down the side walls.

schach23 wrote:
I also tend not to hit my pre boil gravity. Usually off by 2-5 points.

What mash efficiency are you assuming? What mash efficiency are you getting? If you assume too high, you'll be too low. Use more grain next time to compensate by adjusting the mash efficiency number in your software. It'll recalc the amount of grain you need.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
schach23

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today wouldn't ya know I hit my numbers spot on. Using 75% Brewhouse efficiency my mash efficiency was 85%. Guess I don't know what I'm talking about lol.

I have pretty much followed everything from your site other than the fittings and pots. My mill is 0.045" (using feeler gauge) which gives a perfect crush. My false bottom is from brewhardware.com designed for keggles. Fits pretty tight. See pic

Thanks Kal
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like everything is working well then! Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: