Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

SS Brewtech Kettles

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jcosta78

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: SS Brewtech Kettles Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello!

I am new here and have started working on my brewery set up, thanks for providing a great resource here Kal! Currently working on my panel. Looking at ordering the rest of my equipment soon and am stuck on the kettle part. I do 5 and 3 gallon batches so I am leaning towards 10 gallon kettles. In searching the site I can't seem to find any info on SS brewtech kettles. They have a newer false bottom that looks promising. Any body here using one? Also, would 4500 watt elements be fine for 10 gallon kettles? Thanks in advance, John
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

There are lots of kettle options available, and SS Brewtech has been discussed a few times on the forum. Here's an example: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=310356

At the end of the day, choose what's right for you and fits your budget. I still like the kettles I recommend in the instructions and would still recommend them over others.

If brewing only 3-5 gallon batches the 4500W elements would be perfect. Good luck John!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
VaWineSnob

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also do 5 gallon batches and built my system with ten gallon kettles. I recently upgraded the boil kettle to 15 gallon due to boilovers. I will eventually upgrade to 15 gallon HLT, I have to split the water between the HLT and MLT and heat through the HERMS coil.
Jcosta78

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lower end 15 gallon welded kettle already. Maybe I will pick up another for the HLT and just bite the bullet and get the blichman kettle for the MLT. Their false bottom does seem to be far superior then the rest.
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 20 gallon SS BrewTech kettles. I really like them. One thing I wasn't happy about was that they come standard with a reticulation hole punched at the top right side of the kettle. Don't get me wrong, that's great for the HLT and Mash Tun but no reason for one in the BK. I believe this is standard on 10+ gallon kettles.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Jcosta78

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out the 10 gallon SS kettles are sold out and the only place that carries them here in Canada is saying July-August till they get them again. They do have the 15 gallon kettle though. Is there any downside to using a 15 gallon kettle for the mash tun?? I will be doing primarily 5.5 gallon batches.
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not jump up to 20 gallon pots? I bumped up to 10 gallon batches because you get twice the reword for the same amount of work. I normally split the batch into two fermentors and use a different kind of yeast for each. Great way to fine tune your recipes.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

even if just brewing 5 gallon batches I would still have 15 gallon kettles, thats what I had for years

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozarks Mountain Brew wrote:
even if just brewing 5 gallon batches I would still have 15 gallon kettles, thats what I had for years

No issues with using the 15g kettle for the mash tun?
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not at all works great
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: