Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Antifoam aka FermCapS aka Foam Control

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrumpyWally

Drinking: Schwarzbier, Tripwire Tripel, 2 Czech Dark Lagers, Wee Heavy

Working on: Tripwire Tripel, Roggenbier

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Antifoam aka FermCapS aka Foam Control Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Is anyone using this stuff to prevent making a mess - in the flask while making a starter to prevent boil over, in the BK to deal with hot break, or in the fermentor to deal with over active fermentations?

If so, what quantity are you using? I've seen "couple of drops" in the flask to 2 drops per gallon for BK/fermentor.

If so, do you filter later to remove it or just hope that it drops out with everything else?

Thanks

Wally
mvakoc

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have started using this FermCapS) in two places regularly and expanding to other uses. I am attempting to minimize the amount whenever possible as there is concern about consuming too much of it. In reality it should all precipitate out through regular brewing processes and not be of any concern.

The first place I started using it was in starters. In ~4.25 L of water pre-boil I add a single drop or maybe two. When at a boil I add my DME for approximately a 4L finish starter. There is no boil over during the roughly 15mins of boil time. I then cool, oxygenate, transfer to a 5L flask, and place on a stirplate for 24-72 hours. The flask is topped only with a piece of tin foil. Aggressive fermenetation begins and no spillage whatsoever.

For this purpose it works perfectly and I do not believe, from my reading and podcast listening, that this amount has any chance to make it into a finished product at any levels of concern.

The second place I always use it is a drop in the bucket that my blowoff tube goes in. During aggressive fermentations this will often receive krausen from the conical. The drop in the bucket keeps any foam from staying (in the star san I use) so it doesn't spill to the floor and make a big mess.

For this it is also perfect and has no chance of ending up in the final product.

Finally, I have once or twice used it in the boil to prevent boil over when I am busy with other things. Only a drop or two was needed but I don't do this regularly as I don't trust it and want to watch the start of the boil.

In short, for the starter, I suggest using it. I have been delighted ever since incorporating this.
GrumpyWally

Drinking: Schwarzbier, Tripwire Tripel, 2 Czech Dark Lagers, Wee Heavy

Working on: Tripwire Tripel, Roggenbier

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mvakoc wrote:

The second place I always use it is a drop in the bucket that my blowoff tube goes in. During aggressive fermentations this will often receive krausen from the conical. The drop in the bucket keeps any foam from staying (in the star san I use) so it doesn't spill to the floor and make a big mess.

For this it is also perfect and has no chance of ending up in the final product.

Thanks for the quick response - didn't think of the use that I quoted from you. That's a really great idea - I'll probably start there since I've had some real messes in the refrigerator.

I'll probably give it a try on my next starter - has two minor boil overs on the current set.

I share your concern with getting too much of the stuff in the finished beer.

Once again, thanks.

W
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: