Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Ideas for pumps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff800

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Ideas for pumps? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have looked around just wonder what people are paying for the March pump suggested by Kal.
809 or 815 SS with 3/4" center inlet.
I have seen the "out of stock" $170 and the $390 must be some other options than $800 for two pumps. I have looked into chugger pumps but March seems more recommended.
Thoughts
Thanks Jeff
ParadiseBrew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

56 in stock and good price... you can pick up the QD's if you need them also...

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/chugger115ss-c.htm
pinbrew

Drinking: Amber Ale

Working on: Electric Hop Candy Jr., Toy Soldier Stout, Crispy Pils

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using chugger pumps for the last couple years, and the only nit I've had with them has been with replacing the power cord. The four foot cables are too short, and can't easily be replaced. I ended up using extensions cords with watertight boots, and other people here have more creative solutions (see this pic/post).

The pumps themselves have never been a problem, although following kal's advice on the centre inlet models is recommended. I had the side inlets to start and had a few problems with re-priming when transferring post-boil with a hop-stopper, and moving to the centre inlet and upgrading from hard-to-move-the-handle 3-piece ball valves to higher quality ones helped immensely.
JayBo

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both and don't see any significant differences between them.
rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody try the 24V DC pumps? The reviews I have read indicate they have plenty of power and are whisper quiet.
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have and the only issue is you cant listen when their pumping or have a problem, its so quiet the pitch doesn't change

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcrabb22 wrote:
Anybody try the 24V DC pumps? The reviews I have read indicate they have plenty of power and are whisper quiet.

The flow is backwards from the standard (no center) inlet pumps. Meaning the inlet is on the right side and outlet on the left.
Not that that really matters to much, just wanted to point it out.

View user's photo album (3 photos)
LGarby

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine here and they are only a bit more than the chugger. http://www.tescopumps.com/march-815ss-c-115v
VaWineSnob

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dp Brewing Company wrote:
rcrabb22 wrote:

The flow is backwards from the standard (no center) inlet pumps. Meaning the inlet is on the right side and outlet on the left.

I don't know, just curious - if it's a DC pump, have you tried reversing positive and negative leads? That should reverse the polarity of the motor. Not sure if the the pump is directional.
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaWineSnob wrote:
dp Brewing Company wrote:
rcrabb22 wrote:

I don't know, just curious - if it's a DC pump, have you tried reversing positive and negative leads? That should reverse the polarity of the motor. Not sure if the the pump is directional.

No the pump head in/out are set. You could change the flow as you say but it wouldn't work. The pumps are not designed to push through the center section of the head. Google some images and it will make more sense what I'm saying.

View user's photo album (3 photos)
rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments on the 24V DC pump. I am replacing a failing Little Giant pump and am going to give one of these a shot.
JSB

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LGarby wrote:
I got mine here and they are only a bit more than the chugger. http://www.tescopumps.com/march-815ss-c-115v

Thanks! One more thing to check off my 'to buy' list on my slow road to completing my brewery.
rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcrabb22 wrote:
Thanks for the comments on the 24V DC pump. I am replacing a failing Little Giant pump and am going to give one of these a shot.

I have changed to the 24V pumps to cut down on the noise. They are so quiet it takes some getting used to. If the exhaust fan is running half power you can't hear them at all. But I no longer have to have the music system cranked up to hear it over the brewing equipment din. I have not noticed a flow reduction but I haven't done an actual measurement so this is just my opinion. I have not had any issues with priming them at all using the same procedure as I did with the center inlet successfully.

I did need to change the mounting configuration to take the center inlet versus the inline pump head configuration. They needed to mounted so the tubing connections didn't conflict. I found mounting them staggered with one pump further back did the trick.

I have always had issues with running my BK pump full flow when the BK is boiling using a center inlet pump. I get air bubbles in the tubing and cavitation. I needed to restrict the pump outflow. Within seconds of "flameout" the cavitation issue disappears. The 24V pump is no different.

I am happy with them so far after 5 or 6 brews and I am hoping for comparable length of service.
sillbeer

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used 24 volt pumps for a little while and they worked okay but not great in my opinion. They were quiet, that's the one thing I liked. I switched to the Riptides pumps and they are just as quiet.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI -

We will have both March and Chugger pumps available very soon at great prices (multiple models, both 120V and 240V) for people to choose from in our new store:

https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/

Stay tuned! Differences will be described too. For example, Chugger has twice as many telfon washers. More info: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31364

The Chugger TEFC (Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled) dual voltage motor (user selectable 115VAC and 230VAC) will also be offered (first pic below). Consider this pump over the other models primarily if you prefer something much quieter and splash resistant (among other differences which will be listed on our order page).

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: