Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Replacing hoses?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SD Endorf

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Replacing hoses? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Just a quick question for y'all to see how often you replace your hoses.
I keep them clean, but they are getting quite discolored.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never done it.

Doesn't matter if they're discoloured, but you can certainly replace them if you like. Take a look here for my recommended high temperature food-grade silicone tubing:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/High-temperature-food-grade-silicone-tubing-1-2-ID-3-4-7-8-OD

Cheers,

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing hoses? Reply with quote

SD Endorf wrote:
Just a quick question for y'all to see how often you replace your hoses.
I keep them clean, but they are getting quite discolored.

I did once but that was due to conversion from old cooler/propane setup to build a copy of Kal's electric brewery. I decided I wanted brand new everything.

If I had not rebuilt I would probably still be using my original hoses. My old hoses also discolored. My new hoses are still new looking but I expect when I brew a few more stouts and browns that will change.
SD Endorf

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup! Kal, that's the tubing I bought through your link.
I won't worry about it. Just hard to watch that crisp light pilsner running through brown tubing.... Shocked
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's any consolation it won't affect the taste at all. I've done 12% RIS's that are jet black and taste like chocolate and tar on steroids followed by 3.5% "Bud light" lagers that don't taste like anything. I was just sampling one of the light lagers last night after a month of lagering and it's close to clear as water and still tastes like nothing... Wink

Kal

SD Endorf

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
If it's any consolation it won't affect the taste at all. I've done 12% RIS's that are jet black and taste like chocolate and tar on steroids followed by 3.5% "Bud light" lagers that don't taste like anything. I was just sampling one of the light lagers last night after a month of lagering and it's close to clear as water and still tastes like nothing... Wink

Kal

Good to know....
I'm guessing you either brewed a "very hot summer day quaffer".... or this was a friends request for something that doesn't taste "too beery" ?? Very Happy Very Happy
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lots of friends who like really light stuff. I keep it on tap in the sunroom kegerator (picture here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BEZCsVNoKtC) along with my 4% Electric Pale Ale. It's outside so I purposely only want to have lower ABV stuff near or around the pool to avoid issues with guests over-consuming. Wink

Making a very light tasting lager has been a real challenge that I've kind of enjoyed as every fault shows up. It's definitely one of the hardest beers to make well!

Kal

SD Endorf

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya..
I've got a Czech Pilsner lagering right now. I added an ounce of black malt, floured into the boil kettle just to Get the SRM to about 9.. It's a summer favorite!
You've heard this a million times, but pictures of your setup are drool worthy. Always enjoy them.
Thanks for the info.!
Master

Drinking: Naked Singularity Stout, Hurricane Bohemian Pilsner, Pineapple Cider, Ich bin ein Berlinerweiss, AbbyNormal Glutton Free Lambic

Working on: Vienna Lager. Witty name to follow.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

Making a very light tasting lager has been a real challenge that I've kind of enjoyed as every fault shows up. It's definitely one of the hardest beers to make well!

Kal

That was the basis of a discussion I had with a friend who is a tad on the hipster side, saying that the makers of Budweiser are fantastic brewers, they just don't make a product I like!

He was beside himself while I explained to him how hard those styles are, and that even with the "Uberbrew" (what the electric system at my place has been named) I don't have the equipment to properly make it on the fermentation side.

I'm still on the five gallon bucket fermentator plan.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckets are fine! You just need proper fermentation control (50F or so) followed by lagering (near freezing) and generally good/sound process.

Kal

dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure this question has came up before, but I searched and couldn't find it.

The tubing I used for my mash tun got a little mold on the inside. Well, I assume it is mold, can't really see through the tubing all that well. I guess I put the lid back on to soon on a previous brew. I pulled the tubing off and have tried to clean it but have had no luck. I've soaked it in OxiClean Free for several hours and then ran clean hot water through. NO luck on cleaning it.

Anyone have any ideas or should I just pitch it?

View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to blow out all standing water from the pumps/valves/HERMS coil and that MLT hose after your brew day.
I use this in blow mode: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/compact-shop-vac
Leave your kettle lids off overnight. I usually leave them off for 24 hours or even longer. Depends on how dry the air is.
If you can't get it clean, I would probably replace. That said, it can't really do any harm given that everything will be boiled anyway.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally use the vac on all the lines and try to suck the water out. I must of got lazy that day.
I do have access to CO2 pretty close. I use a 20# tank so I only have to fill it up every year or two. I could hook up an attachment to blow the lines out with the CO2.

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it works better (and is less messy) to blow instead of suck. If you suck, you fill your shop vac and then have to dump it.
You could use CO2, but why when just regular air is free and you have a shop vac?

Kal

dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I find it works better (and is less messy) to blow instead of suck. If you suck, you fill your shop vac and then have to dump it.
You could use CO2, but why when just regular air is free and you have a shop vac?

Kal

Not sure my shop vac goes in reverse. Honestly, never looked to see if it does. Plus after I suck out the bottom of the kettles I have to dump it anyway.

On another note, if I used the CO2 I wouldn't have to worry about blowing in contaminated particles.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to suck up the bottom of the kettles. I use a sponge myself to get the few ounces of water that's left after blowing with the shop vac..

Kal

dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dip tube stops 1/4" from the bottom of the kettle. With a diameter of 17.7" that adds up to about 0.27 gallons. Do you have less water than that after your transfer?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both my Boil kettle and MLT get tilted 90 degrees for cleaning so the cleaning water is dumped that way.
My HLT never gets moved but I do lift up the back slightly when it's almost empty from sparging so that there's only a few ounces left. If I forget, there's a 3.5 cups (28 oz) of water because that's the kettle dead space (0.22 gallons). I still use a sponge, it just takes a minute or so instead of a couple of seconds. That said, I rarely forget to tilt the HLT. All it takes is the back lifted by an inch to reduce the amount of remaining water by a lot.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, you gave me an idea.
JayBo

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just learned another great tip...use a sponge to get the excess water out. I've been wasting my time with these cheap towels I bought that basically repel water..lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: