Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

110 breaker tripping

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSwagger

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: 110 breaker tripping Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello, for some reason the 110 side of my control panel keeps tripping the breaker (build in progress).. is what i have wire not correct?

There is a HLT side (220v 5500w), a Boil side (240v 4500) and the HEX side (120v 1500w) both the HLT and the boil sides (systems work just fine) Other than the PID being powered from one of the 240 sides (which im told is ok) all three systems are more or less independent of each other.

Checking.. i can plug the system in, and the PID comes on just fine (little red light blinks), and starts switching the SSR (little red light blinks).. but the second element is plugged in it trips the breaker.

i did notice.. that the Output side of the SSR and the N bus show 120v even when the PID is off and not switching it on...? (but im told that there is some leakage of the SSR)??? (high/low) not (on/off)

1500w elment on a 15A circuit is ok right? thats only ~12.5A...

HEX Circuit.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.26 KB
 Viewed:  7179 Time(s)

HEX Circuit.jpg

CaptSwagger

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: checked Reply with quote

see below (not powered on)

HEX Circuit probe1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  123.93 KB
 Viewed:  7163 Time(s)

HEX Circuit probe1.jpg

Fizzik

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all in your picture I noticed the infinite measurement between GND bus bar and your outlet/plug to the element. Was this a mistake in diagram?

You also say you measure 120V on the neutral bus bar? Where are you measuring this across? Are you putting your second lead on GND?

Do yourself a favour and ensure your wiring from your GFCI breaker is correct. Measure Hot-Neutral, Hot-GND, Neutral-GND at the outlet. Hot-Neutral should be 120V. Hot-GND should be 120V and Neutral-GND should be very close to 0 if it's not then your neutral and hot are wired backwards.

As well as a side note your wiring from the GFCI the neutral should be run from the actual breaker as your GFCI should have it's own neutral lead to your main panel neutral bus bar.

Your measurement you claim to be 120V when the SSR is off between Hot-Neutral is correct and should always read 120V. This is because you measure across an 'open' you will always get applied voltage 120V.

btw I'm not an electrician just some things you can look at.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: