Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Upgrade kit from 30 to 50 amp.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> TheElectricBrewery.com Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kkroeker

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:42 am    Post subject: Upgrade kit from 30 to 50 amp. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Kal, do you or are you willing to sell a kit that would upgrade a 30 amp system to a 50 amp system? I have a 30 amp built, but would like to go to 50 amp 30 + gallon set up. Really don't want to start over on a new box. I am also not confident in sourcing everything needed to upgrade, including power input.

-Karl
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karl,

Going from a Standard 30A panel to a 50A for 30+ gallons isn't obvious. For one thing you'd need to replace the enclosure due to not having room for the two extra receptacles on the bottom:

Standard 30A :

50A for 30+ gallons:

Replacing the enclosure is not obvious. You'd have to remove everything. Then there's all the wiring changes on the side and extra fuses, and so forth. I bet it would be more work than starting over. It's not really something that could be offered as a simple kit.

My 2 cents: Sell the current panel to fund the new one. If the current one is one of our pre-built panels then you'll have zero issues selling it as demand is high. If it's from a kit then there's demand but it's usually less, and will depend on how cleanly you wired it. If it's one you built from sourcing your own parts or it's somewhat your own design then demand is usually lower.

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
JSB

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal... Just a thought... could one just swap out the 30 A receptacles to 50A receptacles (AND ALL THE STUFF NEEDED INSIDE!)... then run power to the two elements that would be wired in parallel?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 50A receptacle is bigger than the 30A receptacle so a straight swap isn't possible. The hole would have to be made bigger. I don't understand what you mean by "then run power to the two elements that would be wired in parallel?". Sorry.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
JSB

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal... my mistake....

I was thinking on the lines of "50A control panel for back to back batches"

Quote:
50A control panel for back to back batches: For producing up to 20 gallons of finished product per batch. A single 4500-5500W* element is used in both the boil kettle and hot liquor tank. Both heating elements may be run at the same time in order to speed up brewing back to back batches.

.... you and OP are talking about "50A control panel for 30+ gallons".

Quote:
50A control panel for 30+ gallons: For producing more than 30 gallons of finished product per batch and/or for brewers looking to speed up their brew day by reducing heat times. Perfect for 1-3 bbl pilot electric brewing systems. Two 4500-5500W* elements are used per kettle for a total of 9000-11000W. Like the standard 30A control panel, only one kettle may be powered at a time. If you're consistently producing 30 gallons or more then we highly recommend the 50A control panel for 30+ gallons. Only brewing smaller batches now but may want to go bigger in the future? Consider this control panel as well.

For anyone who is confused like I was... check out:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> TheElectricBrewery.com Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: