Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

MLT does not equalize HLT
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
David_H wrote:
Here is my two cents.
I pump the wort into the top of the HLT and out the bottom. The bottom will always be covered in hot water and therefore should be the hotest wort.

If he built to my design this would not be correct as the water in the HLT is constantly recirculated as well. It will be the same temperature everywhere.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Tennessee

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Temp Reply with quote

[quote="David_H"]Here is my two cents.
I pump the wort into the top of the HLT and out the bottom. The bottom will always be covered in hot water and therefore should be the hotest wort.

If recirculation process is being used for the "HLT" then the tempeture will be about the same through out
the water columm.

Kal, must have missed your post!

Drinking: Dry Irish Stout, Electric Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, Irish Red Ale

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The water is all the same temperature but IF the HLT water is not covering all of the SS HE, then the water will be hotter simply because there is water there. That was one of the concerns in a previous post. If the top of the HE is uncovered then there "could" be some heat loss. The only reason I can see to pump UP through the HE is the risk of getting air trapped in the HE as the water is pumped DOWN. And that might be a valid reason.

My "intended" point is the discussion of system losses are not important. The HE should transfer the heat of the HLT to MLT pretty quick and the wort path from the HLT the MLT is short and should have very minimal heat loss, therefore the most like error is in measurement of the temperature not the actual temperature itself.

David

Kal Clone Controller
20 gallon Spike Brewing 3-Kettle System
SS Brewtech 14 gallon fermenter w/ gycol chiller
4 tap keezer with Nitro Tap
mcl

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That coil looks like it is quite a bit less than 50 ft. I think that is your issue. If you can't get your herms exit to be the same or very close to your HLT temp then everything else (such as insulation, false bottom) is a mute point.
Mike M

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goofy, but I would think of all metal in touch between HLT and MLT. I think you said you are using different pumps. Maybe they have more thermal mass and thus take time. Not sure why amperage should be fluctuating by ~ 2 amps? You are also using different pots.

Mike M
Tennessee

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: I think your right. Reply with quote

mcl wrote:
That coil looks like it is quite a bit less than 50 ft. I think that is your issue. If you can't get your herms exit to be the same or very close to your HLT temp then everything else (such as insulation, false bottom) is a mute point.

More like 25'

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mute, moot whats the difference.

I'm an idiot.
thereverendmaynard

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try temp probe calibration like David H suggested?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got another email from a user this morning who was seeing a temperature differential between the MLT and HLT and was able to make it go away by swapping out their hoses and pumps for what's recommended in the build instructions.

Use this 7/8" OD silicone hose: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/High-temperature-food-grade-silicone-tubing-1-2-ID-3-4-7-8-OD

Use these center inlet pumps: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/March-809-or-815-pump-with-high-temperature-stainless-steel-housing-3-4-MPT-center-inlet-1-2-MPT-outlet

To quote the user:

"I had originally tested the HERMS with the thinner 1/2 ID silicon and had my pumps setup with the inline heads (long story). I was landing about 1-2 degrees cooler in the mash kettle. I swapped out the pump heads for the front inlet and swapped out the silicon with what you recommend and I now hit the same temp!" - Todd W.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: