Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Ferulic Acid Rest

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hightide13

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Ferulic Acid Rest Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I want to brew a hefe and use a ferulic acid rest at 110 degrees and then bring the mash up to 154 for the sacch rest. I am looking for best practice/technique advice. I have only ever done a step infusion where boiling water was added to bring the mash temp up.

I am using the standard 30a setup 5500w element in my HLT. Is the time that it takes to bring it up to sacch rest temp, and therefore bring the mash temp up through the HERMS, detrimental to my mash in any way?

I would LOVE some advice from folks who have actually used their eb to successfully do a step infusion with a ferulic acid rest.

Thanks!

HH
David_H

Drinking: Dry Irish Stout, Electric Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, Irish Red Ale

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HH,
That shouldn't be a problem at all. Based on my calculations the time to increase 110 to 154 assuming 20 gallons (HLT plus MLT) is about 30 minutes. According to Palmer, the Beta Amylase will start breaking down the starches about 130 F so you will be converting most of time. The resulting beer will be highly fermentable, so you do run a small risk of being too thin, but this is a wheat beer.

The other choice would be a true step infusion and add some boiling (or just hotter water) to the mash to step the mash temperature from 110 to 154. You should be able to find an online calculator to determine the volume of boiling water to add. Start a bit on the dry side of you grist to water ratio and add boiling water to heat it up.

Good luck.

Kal Clone Controller
20 gallon Spike Brewing 3-Kettle System
SS Brewtech 14 gallon fermenter w/ gycol chiller
4 tap keezer with Nitro Tap
hightide13

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David. I MAY start with my HLT being at temp and the letting the strike water cool down to 110 before doughing in. It seems like that would then cut the time it would take to bring the mash up to 154F don't you think? Maybe even do what you suggested by infusing hot water (not boiling though because I wouldn't be able to bring it down quickly enough to recirc...) to bring the temp up quicker. Thanks for the ideas!
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do my rest at roughly 120 degrees and raise my HLT to 170 (not recirculating) while its in the protein rest. Once the rest is done I start to recirculate and change my HLT PID back to 152 ish. With the larger difference in temps it brings up the Mash faster. Granted I have an Infussion Tun from SS Brewtech so my mash holds temp well. Not sure if this approach would work for someone using just a standard kettle.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: