Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Second brew day report; request feedback!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:13 am    Post subject: Second brew day report; request feedback! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey everyone, this is a follow-up to my first brew day here:

I did a 5G batch of Janet's Brown Ale that I had purchased for my ~60% brewhouse efficiency propane setup. Like my last beer, I expected the higher-efficiency electric brewery to result in a higher S.G. at all phases of the brew. Not really an issue, just wanted to use up the ingredients. I had the grain bill put into one huge bag, so I couldn't effectively scale the base malt back...

Overall this brew went more smoothly, but I still had a few issues I'd like to share. My MLT out hose seems to get air bubbles in it after the grain bed settles down and increases flow-restriction in the MLT. I'm working on swapping out some parts and am documenting the experience in another thread in this forum.

The grind seemed to go better this time, but the husks still look tore up. Here is a video of my grind. Does the revolutions per second seem ok?

The result:

Aside from that, my biggest issue seemed to be with numbers/efficiency. Here is the grain bill for reference:

12 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 76.1 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.5 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.5 %
1 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 4 6.0 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.0 %

I mashed at 154 with a 1.25 qt/lb ratio for 90 minutes. I didn't have a good method to do the post mash gravity, so I sparged and collected 8 gallons of wort in the BK. The S.G. was 1.054, which was less than then 1.061 S.G. that BeerSmith predicted. I have programmed in a 77% Brewhouse efficiency based on my first batch on the electric brewery.

What is the 'post mash' gravity vs. the 'pre-boil' gravity? My guess is that the post mash is the full volume of mash liquid and the pre-boil is post sparge? How does one measure the post mash then? Just collect the first runnings?

I'm also a little confused on the O.G measurement. Does the volume make a difference for S.G. readings? If I finished with 6 gallons but only take 5.5 into the fermentor, does that somehow change the gravity?

Again, BeerSmith thought I was going to have 1.084 but I ended up with only 1.073. This works out to a brewhouse efficiency of 67 percent. That seems very low for this system.

Any thoughts on where I might have messed up? Can someone else plug this grain bill into their software of choice and tell me what they think the O.G. should be? This recipe uses WLP0001.

On the bright side, I think my hop stopper woes were fixed. I backed down the flow rate to a VERY slow trickle:

This is what I had left behind:

Does that seem normal?

Thanks!
-Jason
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Second brew day report; request feedback! Reply with quote

jphussey wrote:
What is the 'post mash' gravity vs. the 'pre-boil' gravity?

I don't know what 'post mash' is either. Why do you want to know this?

Quote:
I'm also a little confused on the O.G measurement. Does the volume make a difference for S.G. readings? If I finished with 6 gallons but only take 5.5 into the fermentor, does that somehow change the gravity?

No. How much you lose along the way doesn't change the gravity the beer. The beer will always have the same gravity.

Quote:
Again, BeerSmith thought I was going to have 1.084 but I ended up with only 1.073. This works out to a brewhouse efficiency of 67 percent. That seems very low for this system.

I'm not sure if that low. Brewhouse efficiency has never been something I've measured or concern myself with, or mention in any of my instructions. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Quote:
This is what I had left behind:
Does that seem normal?

Yes. That's mostly hops. It's a big hop bill.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Kal. So the flow into the fermentor looks about right for the last few gallons once the hop stopper is exposed to air?

How about the crush?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jphussey wrote:
Thanks, Kal. So the flow into the fermentor looks about right for the last few gallons once the hop stopper is exposed to air?

As long as you manage to get most of the wort out, the flow rate is slow enough.

Quote:
How about the crush?

Looks fine.

Kal

jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Second brew day report; request feedback! Reply with quote

kal wrote:
jphussey wrote:
What is the 'post mash' gravity vs. the 'pre-boil' gravity?

I don't know what 'post mash' is either. Why do you want to know this?

I don't necessarily...just trying to make heads or tails of the BeerSmith software is all.

Quote:

I'm not sure if that low. Brewhouse efficiency has never been something I've measured or concern myself with, or mention in any of my instructions. Maybe someone else can chime in.[/quote]

So the only time you take the SG reading is once you have collected all of your wort in the boil kettle and then again after the boil is complete (O.G.)? Pretty sure that's all I see in your step-by-step. Is that pre-boil measurement what you commonly cite as your 95% mash efficiency?

Thanks, as always, for your patience with the questions!

-Jason
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Second brew day report; request feedback! Reply with quote

jphussey wrote:
So the only time you take the SG reading is once you have collected all of your wort in the boil kettle and then again after the boil is complete (O.G.)? Pretty sure that's all I see in your step-by-step.

Correct.

Quote:
Is that pre-boil measurement what you commonly cite as your 95% mash efficiency?

Sort of but not exactly. Or should I say not specifically.

Mash efficiency is how well your system takes the starches in the mash and converts them into sugars. Your can measure your pre-boil gravity and figure out your mash efficiency based on the volume of wort you have, or you could also measure your post-boil gravity and figure out your mash efficiency there too based on the volume of wort you have. The results will be identical. You boiled off a bunch of water from the wort leaving sugars behind so that the gravity will go up accordingly, but your mash efficiency doesn't change. Boiling doesn't affect how much sugar was extracted from the grain. That amount is locked in stone the moment you stop sparging.

All this is done auto-magically in the software I use and recommend as documented in the BREW DAY STEP BY STEP instructions. If you use different software it may work differently. I've never used BeerSmith so I can't help with their terminology or what they mean when they talk about certain things. Maybe some others can chime in. It may be helpful starting a new thread too about any BeerSmith questions you have as they would be not be directly related to this setup, but more generic.

Keep in mind to that there are all sorts of different types of efficiencies:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/brewing-efficiency-chart/

I don't care about most of them. Some pro brewers (mostly macro brewers) probably care about most of them especially things like brewhouse and mash (conversion) efficiency as it affects their costs. At the homebrew scale caring about brewhouse efficiency is worrying about pennies. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Kai has a good article on the various efficiencies too: http://www.braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Understanding_Efficiency

Way too much detail for me. I tried to greatly simplify all this as much as possible in my BREW DAY STEP BY STEP instructions to a few numbers, the ones that I feel matter the most.

YMMV

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: