Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Kegging from fermenter

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fseider

Location: Two Naked Frogs Brewery; Reading, PA (USA); Interests: Beer, Frogs, Steampunk, Being Naked

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Kegging from fermenter Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
VERY new to kegging here. First time ever was tonight. I loved being able to go from my fermenter to my kegs via a CO2 push. It just doesn't get any easier. Smile

My question - I ran a hose from my fermenter into the keg via a hose to the bottom after a purge of CO2. Seems you may be able to also connect the beer out from the fermenter to the keg out so that the keg fills via the dip tube. Is this possible? Would you need a special adapter to have the beer go the opposite direction on the ball lock post? The cap would stay open to monitor of course.

I'm sure this is done, just need some hints and tips here.

Thanks,

"What's in your goblet?!"
---
Model 30A; SN 0130
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Kegging from fermenter Reply with quote

fseider wrote:
Seems you may be able to also connect the beer out from the fermenter to the keg out so that the keg fills via the dip tube. Is this possible? Would you need a special adapter to have the beer go the opposite direction on the ball lock post?

Sure! Nothing special required really as the QD's used on kegs are not directional. Just have a hose from your fermenter to the keg with a liquid (black) QD on the keg end, connected to the liquid out of the keg, and fill.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
jcav

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes what Kal just said. I kegged a beer from my conical fermenter today as well. Attached beer line tubing to racking port on fermenter. Other end of beer line has a black liquid quick disconnect and this goes on the liquid out on the keg (diptube). Open the ball valve on the racking port and add a little C02 as necessary on conical to push out the beer, and it works perfectly!

John

Location: Two Naked Frogs Brewery; Reading, PA (USA); Interests: Beer, Frogs, Steampunk, Being Naked

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. As simple as this process was, this will now be even simpler! My last and final step will be to get from the keg to an IV Drip Line .... Smile
"What's in your goblet?!"
---
Model 30A; SN 0130
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it this way too, and have some pics here http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28988

To ensure you keep the keg oxygen/ bacteria free, instead of leaving the lid off while filling you can and add a gas-in post with a tube that leads into a bucket with sanitizer solution. As the keg fills, CO2 that you had purged/filled the keg with will exit the gas-in and no air will be able to enter your keg. Attach the CO2 out before you open the conical ball lock or you'll bubble the heck out of your beer and maybe stir up yeast.

I also recommend the in-line filter screen. Of course it's not necessary, but for the price it saved me a major headache. If you read the thread above I had a much easier time with my IPA and it didn't require the time chilling and clarifiers like previous IPA's did.

Using this method (since you can't see in the hatch) you also want to weigh the keg as it fills so you know when it hits 5 gallons. (make all your attachments first, then tare the scale). I take the FG X 8.33 lbs x 5 gallons to figure out when the keg is full.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the IV drip!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: