Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Chocolate Coffee Stout

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Topdollar

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Chocolate Coffee Stout Reply with quote

So, this is from CB&B Magazine - I plan to make it more or less per the instructions, except adding bourbon infused Oak to one fermentor and maybe doing a cold brewed coffee addition to one and then using straight grounds for the other.

They predict 9.2% eff but my system will push this closer to 10% which works for me.

Comparing with Kal's RIS though:

Is there any benefit to increasing the boil from 60 min to 120? Or 90? I don't want to make it so the coffee, cacao nibs and oak confuse the beer....and I'm thinking a 120 min boil will produce a too...complex flavor...for lack of better understanding? I'm also thinking the more or less "complex" grain bill here is designed to "be how it should be" after 60 min but again, still new to experimenting with recipe design.

Chocolate Coffee Stout:

12 gallon batch (10 into kegs)

24 lbs Maris Otter
2 lb Munich Malt I
2 lb Munich Malt II
24 oz Caraaroma
20 oz Chocolate Malt
16 oz Carafa
12 oz flaked oats

1 oz Nugget @ 60
1 oz Chinook @ 45
.8 oz Cascade @ 30

Mash @ 152 for 60 (I'll be going to 90...just what I like!)
Boil for 60 min
Ferment @ 68F for primary / free-ride to 70F

Cold crash. Dump trub from conical. Hold @ 32-40F

Steep for 3-5 days:
148 grams coffee added secondary
222 grams cacao nibs added secondary

Dump coffee @ cacao.

1 oz of bourbon oak to one batch (1 week or to taste?)

Thoughts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: