Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Fly Sparging question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben58

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
rickysa wrote:
Quote:
These pumps don't have the power to blo(w)at up silicone hose usually

No, but house pressure damn sure does!! Very Happy

And, boy oh boy, that'll get your attention right quick Shocked

One big ass water balloon. Learned that one the hard way... Embarassed
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These hoses are only rated for 10 psi. Your house pressure could be 2-3 times that.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to see i'm not the only one who has hooked up a silicone hose to house pressure! i believe the burst rating is a function of the wall thickness, i think i looked up later on that mine were rated for 18 psi. my house pressure is probably around 50 psi!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silicone tubing is soft and will blow up as you’ve seen when subjected to house water pressures (often 50-80 PSI - where I live code stipulates it has to be below 80 PSI). Reinforced silicone hose can be used if you get into the habit of hooking the hose up to the faucet and accidentally leave a valve closed downstream. Link: http://amzn.to/2cmswLo

I don’t bother myself as I never close the valve at the kettle end. As long as you don’t close a downstream valve you won’t have issues.

There are some cheaper recommendations in the last paragraph of the water hose build instructions here too: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/hoses?page=5

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
rickysa

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
glad to see i'm not the only one who has hooked up a silicone hose to house pressure

I'd like to say it only takes one time....but I'd be fibbing 'cause I did it twice! BOOOM! Mr. Green
itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my eruption was on a piece of silicone tubing from my sink faucet to my spray arm assembly. i had an existing laundry sink in my brew area that couldn't accept a proper spray arm assembly without significant modification. so i mounted the assembly on the wall above the sink, with tubing between the laundry sink faucet output and the inlet to the assembly. i originally used some non-reinforced vinyl tubing but after running some hot water through it, it became majorly deformed. i then tried silicone tubing since i figured a food-grade silicone would be 'better' than vinyl tubing. hooked everything up, turned on the water and got really low flow out of the spray assembly. i was checking connections when i noticed a portion of the silicone tubing rapidly expand. i was reaching for the laundry sink faucet when it burst.

i replaced the silicone tubing with reinforced vinyl tubing and all has been well since.
Ben58

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickysa wrote:
Quote:
glad to see i'm not the only one who has hooked up a silicone hose to house pressure

I'd like to say it only takes one time....but I'd be fibbing 'cause I did it twice! BOOOM! Mr. Green

It only took me once that I forgot a downstream valve was closed.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: