Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Heady topper recipe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wscottcross

Drinking: Launch IPA, Double Sunshine clone, Maple Coffee breakfast stout

Working on: expanding my beer horizons (and my beltline)

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject: Heady topper recipe? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Is there a recipe for Heady Topper on here? I used one from a different site and now managed to harvest some Conan yeast from a few cans of Heady Topper, I'm getting ready to brew again and wanted to see what others ore using. The Conan smells fantastic in the starter so I'm hoping that really comes through in the full batch. I also managed to pick up some of the HBC 438 experimental hops so I'm interested to see what those will do as well.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny that you should ask... (look at the "Working on: ..." to the left, under my avatar). Wink

I'm about to keg mine - recipe due up hopefully in a couple of weeks!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
wscottcross

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Funny that you should ask... (look at the "Working on: ..." to the left, under my avatar). Wink

I'm about to keg mine - recipe due up hopefully in a couple of weeks!

Kal

That was part of the reason for my question. What yeast did you use?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The (supposedly) official stuff - Vermont Ale by Yeast Bay ... all will be revealed soon enough! Wink

Kal

Roadie

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've done a Heady clone which came out great and my brew club loved it - except for the one guy who didn't like the clarity. Never had the real thing to drink next to it and compare though. We used VT Ale as well which is supposedly Conan.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real beer is not overly clear - the fact that they recommend drinking it from the can helps hide that. Wink

(Beer clarity is somewhat meaningless but some people really focus on it - lots of over the top ABV or IBU beers tend to not be clear)

Kal

wscottcross

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm close enough to VT that I was able to go up and grab a case of Heady Topper. I harvested yeast from 3 cans after sanitizing the tops and pouring most of the beer into glasses. The yeast gives a definite peach/mango aroma to the beer. I can't wait to try mine and do a side by side comparison with the real Heady Topper in about 2 weeks.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
The real beer is not overly clear - the fact that they recommend drinking it from the can helps hide that. Wink

(Beer clarity is somewhat meaningless but some people really focus on it - lots of over the top ABV or IBU beers tend to not be clear)

Kal

That guy is a BJCP judge and used those criteria. 30+ other guys thought the beer was awesome. I wouldn't submit this beer to a BJCP contest but for drinking it was a winner.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadie wrote:
That guy is a BJCP judge and used those criteria. 30+ other guys thought the beer was awesome. I wouldn't submit this beer to a BJCP contest but for drinking it was a winner.

I wouldn't worry too much about what a single BJCP certified judge thinks. Anyone can sign up to take the certification program and just like all beer drinkers, there are varied opinions between BJCP certified judges too.

Kal

wscottcross

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
The (supposedly) official stuff - Vermont Ale by Yeast Bay ... all will be revealed soon enough! Wink

Kal

Is it time yet? How did yours come out? Mine was good but definitely not the same as the real Heady Topper.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys - been overly busy with other things. The write-up's been in the works for a couple of months now but time has been short to work on it. It turned out great. The two kegs are already gone!

Kal

mark2215

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about an update/recipe for this? I've been meaning to brew this beer for a while now.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys - I don't feel the recipe's 100% there yet after some more thinking/research. Great beer, but I need to put this one on the back burner for now and to test another batch first to try out some things...

Kal

wscottcross

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also tried several different recipes with about 6 or 7 batches over the past year. While I like the resulting product, it's not really very close to the real HT. Using the right yeast helps, whether you harvest it from the actual HT cans and make a starter from that or purchase the Vermont Ale yeast from http://www.theyeastbay.com/brewers-yeast-products/vermont-ale

There is a very long thread over on HomeBrewTalk and they have the current best clone recipe at http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=390082 if you want to start with that.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's the thread I started with and read the thousands of posts. I spent a TON of time researching brewing Heady Topper before I brewed... more than any other beer actually. I did like the beer I made but I wouldn't call it a 100% clone. I'd say it was 'inspired by'. Some of my notes (for now):

Resources / further reading:
  • Alchemist FAQs Answered By John Kimmich: Alchemist owner and brewer John Kimmich talks about why Heady is canned / why it should be drunk from the can.
  • Chop & Brew - Episode 22: John Kimmich from The Alchemist: John talks a bit about the process that goes into making Heady. Lots of good little nuggets of information here, including:
    • The hops do change. They're constantly tweaking.
    • Quality of hops matter (Simcoe grown in one location will not taste like another).
    • The special "Conan" strain of yeast is actually VPB-1188, a strain that Greg Noonan (John's first boss) bought back from England to use at Vermont Pub and Brewery. When John Kimmich started the Alchemist, he got permission from Greg to use the yeast.
    • Aim for a mash ph of 5.1 to 5.3 (presumably at mash temp). He mentions that any beer over the proper mash ph will be a "muddled piece of sh*t," and it's best to err on the low side. (True, lower is better if you can't hit 5.2 exactly).
    • They dry-hop for 4 to 5 days, never more. Kimmich alludes to "proprietary techniques" for dry-hopping.
    • Whirlpooling lasts for about an hour. They use only pellets, never whole hops.They do not add any hops during the boil, only CO2 hop extract (and all the hops after flameout).
  • Heady Topper- Can you clone it?: A massive 300+ page thread over at HomeBrewTalk.com on trying to clone Heady. My recipe is mostly based on the bobbrews post #2967.
  • Heady Topper Clone: Great summary by schekap on his process, much of which I adopted.
  • Heady Topper Results From Ward Labs: HomeBrewTalk.com thread where Heady was analyzed for mineral composition. This helps us figure out how to treat the starting water, though there are a lot of caveats and some confusion around the 750ppm hardness (which turns out was a bit of a red herring - see next bullet).
  • Seacoast Beverage Lab: Episode 54 - The Alchemist: John Kimmich of The Alchemist joins the show to talk about his brewery and the famous Heady Topper.
  • Mashing in 1000 (aka Feeding the Sarlacc): Video posted by The Alchemist on their making of the 1000th batch of Heady. This video leads many into thinking that all their brewing water needed to be at 750 ppm total hardness because you could read it off their brew sheet. May not be correct as The Alchemist later dilutes this very hard water to bring down the combined level. We do get to see that Thomas Fawcett Pearl malt is used however. (Cool to see that John's a big Star Wars fans too). Wink More talk about the 750 hardness here.
  • John Kimmich | Alchemist Brewery | Vermont Craft Beer: Creators of Heady Topper talk about their experience re-opening the brewery after Hurricane Irene in 2011.
  • Hop Stands: BYO article on Hop Stands from their March-April 2013 issue.
  • A presentation by Kristen England on the subject of hop stands (and other topics). It was determined that an 80 minute hop stand plus dry hopping results in maximum flavour and aroma. Most Heady recipes call for 30 mins however. Worked well for me. This same hop stand information is also mentioned on page 201 of the book For the love of Hops.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
mark2215

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the references. It'll keep me plenty busy trying to read all those links.
BigMike

Drinking: Sierra Madre Pale Ale, Pliny Clone

Working on: Waldo Lake Amber

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Sorry guys - I don't feel the recipe's 100% there yet after some more thinking/research. Great beer, but I need to put this one on the back burner for now and to test another batch first to try out some things...

Kal

Hi Kal,

Have you circled back to the Heady recipe? I'd be interested in hearing the results, and of course the recipe you attempted.

Thanks,
Mike
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigMike wrote:
Have you circled back to the Heady recipe?

I have not - sorry! That said, I am interested in brewing a New England IPA of some sort in the near future. Something hazy, brewed with fruity (likely English) yeast, fruity hops, and with an opposite balance of Cl:SO4 than what I'm used to in IPAs. Doing a bunch of reading/research.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: