Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

heating element meltdown

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shogun0660

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: heating element meltdown Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey guys, looking for some help/advice

Have used an electric setup since 2013. All elements, control panels, cords ordered from this site.
I brewed on it consistently for all of 2013-4 (1-2 a month).
Last year we moved, and I did not brew for all of 2015.
After finally settling in the new house, I got the brewery re-set up.
I had an electrician come out, and he installed the 240V/30A line/outlet, and a double pole 30A breaker.

Two weeks ago I heated some water in the HLT to about 160, then pushed it through the coil just to get it clean. All was well. No obvious leaks.

Today was to be my first brew day since 2014. As the HLT was heating the water up today, I began to smell a burning plastic smell. A few minutes later, the breaker tripped. It took awhile, but eventually I felt the outside of the heating element box, and it was really hot.
With all the power off, I emptied all the water and took off the plate cover for the HLT heating element. This is what it looked like:
The sealant is still in place, and i don't see any obvious signs of water getting in there (although it's so hot would probably have turned to steam right away?). Rusty ground screw maybe indicates there was water???

Not good.
I went back and fished out the electrician's invoice, and confirmed it was 240V/30 A line. It's a 30A double breaker on the main panel. I have a voltage detector and confirmed 240V across the hot, and 120 across Hot/neutral, hot/ground.

So what should i do? Any idea how/why this happened?
This element appears fried, time for a fancy new stainless one? I'm more than OK with that, I just want to make sure i'm not missing any other error here. I'd hate to install a new element and have that one get fried too.

thanks in advance for any help/input

Rodney

IMG_1576.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  28.61 KB
 Viewed:  11532 Time(s)

IMG_1576.jpg

wscottcross

Drinking: Launch IPA, Double Sunshine clone, Maple Coffee breakfast stout

Working on: expanding my beer horizons (and my beltline)

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you may have had a loose connection on the white wire, maybe happened during the moving. The screw and lug are charred on that wire. Loose connections cause high resistance, which creates heat. I would just replace the element and rewire it, making sure that the connections are secure.
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wscottcross wrote:
Looks like you may have had a loose connection on the white wire, maybe happened during the moving. The screw and lug are charred on that wire. Loose connections cause high resistance, which creates heat. I would just replace the element and rewire it, making sure that the connections are secure.

+1 to this. Loose connections can cause this. If things have been moved around a lot / gone through big temperature swings over time, I would tighten all high current screw connections in the heating elements (the 2 screws on the heating element itself) as well as in the control panel - just to be safe!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
mvakoc

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar thing that I attribute to a bad connection (must have been). You can search posts by me to see the details.

The intereseting thing in your photo is that the ground screw and other screws in there appear rusted. Are they actually rusted? This can lead to excessive resistance as well.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rust is indeed curious. There's even rust on the 4 bolts that hold the cover facing the kettle in place. Where they stored for extended periods in locations of high humidity when they weren't used possibly? Or near ocean air?

Kal

itivino

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had almost the exact same thing, except when i opened it, one wire was completely detached from the element. Plastic melted, strange residue, etc. Im chalking it up to not tightening enough, but one sign before it happened was a very hot power cord (near the kettle) and weird smell. Going to check connections more frequently now and check the cord temp.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itivino wrote:
Im chalking it up to not tightening enough, but one sign before it happened was a very hot power cord (near the kettle) and weird smell.

Yes - the heat created at the loose connection travels up inside along the metal wire since it's an excellent conductor of heat.

Kal

milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all that rust, your sure water did not get in there?
View user's photo album (12 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: