Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Replacing heating elements

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Replacing heating elements Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

This guide has moved here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/replacing-heating-elements

Questions? Ask below. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:22 pm; edited 10 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
mcl

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to replacing my BK element with the SS ones. It was a huge pain. I use a inverted keg so I have less of an angle inside the kettle to get leverage. Also, in the hopes of keeping rust down I used switched to aluminum nuts a long time ago. The nuts were stuck on pretty good. I ended up having to use a torch to heat the nuts and they finally broke loose. I ordered a element socket for the next job as my vice grips were a pain.

Just sharing my experience nothing else.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you use tools similar to what I recommended above? Mine came off really easily but then I had used a stainless nut (not aluminum) and it was with Blichmann kettles (not keggles). With two dissimilar metals (in both of our cases) there can be some corrosion which can make things difficult to remove.

Kal

mcl

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a element socket. I now have one on the way.I think the different metal caused the biggest issue. I replaced the aluminum nut with ss as well.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, Until I got the better tools I can't get mine undone at all. There just wasn't enough leverage trying to use a regular element socket tool or a regular wrench on the outside. The element socket on the breaker bar is really what did it for me.

After wrestling trying to get it off for a good 20 mins with a regular wrench using all the force I could, I ordered the element socket and breaker bar and it was literally a 2 second job with barely any force. It's amazing how much simpler it is with proper leverage (from the long breaker bar) and the right socket.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
mcl

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered another SS element for my HLT. Here is what the aluminum nut looks like from the BK. I am replacing them with SS nuts as well.

IMG_1009.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  76.5 KB
 Viewed:  34591 Time(s)

IMG_1009.JPG

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Is that after cleaning/scrubbing?

I'm becoming more and more a proponent towards not using dissimilar metals...

Kal

milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally replaced my camcos, used for 5 years. I had welded the coupler on. They would not budge even standing and jumping on my socket wrench. Used an old trick from working with cars. Heat it up! Uses my plumbers torch and heated up the coupling. Came off easy as cutting hot butter. Just wanted to share in case someone else has the same issue.
View user's photo album (12 photos)
rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my element in the HLT with the SS element as well. My HLT element had the same amount of rust as Kal's picture.

I used a large pipe wrench on the SS nut inside the kettle and the standard element socket tool with a large screwdriver inserted the perpendicular holes to steady it. It took a bit a muscle to break the nut free but one good "umph" with the pipe wrench and it loosened enough to use the element wrench to go the rest of the way.

One tip is to loosen the wire connecting screws before installing the element. One of the screws was cranked down so tight the whole element started to twist in the direction I was turning the screw. I had to use the element wrench to steady the element to finally break the screw free. I was worried I would need to uninstall the element.

I also replaced the silicon o-ring and it was flattened from the first install.
RyanTheSimp

Drinking: El Jefe (Hefeweizen), Belgian Cream Ale

Working on: Electric Pale Ale, Smoked Bacon Red Ale

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Wow! Is that after cleaning/scrubbing?

I'm becoming more and more a proponent towards not using dissimilar metals...

Kal

Kal if you ever need an expert or scientific reasoning on corrosion topics, fill free to reach out. My day job is of a corrosion scientist in the energy industry.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know! Thanks!

Kal

mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My day job is of a corrosion scientist in the energy industry.[/quote]

just curious - oil refining?
RyanTheSimp

Drinking: El Jefe (Hefeweizen), Belgian Cream Ale

Working on: Electric Pale Ale, Smoked Bacon Red Ale

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjo2125 wrote:
My day job is of a corrosion scientist in the energy industry.

just curious - oil refining?[/quote]

No but am qualified to advise that industry on their internal and external conditions. I deal with natural gas infrastructure corrosion concerns, mainly in transmission, distribution, and storage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: