Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Beer Drinkers YouTube podcast

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwdriver

Drinking: Munich Helles, Schwarzbier

Working on: Guinness clone, Vienna Lager

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Beer Drinkers YouTube podcast Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey guys/gals just thought I would drop a link to my YouTube channel. I've been meaning to create a channel for quite sometime but either didn't have the motivation or time. Back in July I finally broke out a camera and an ancient MacBook Pro to edit with. Our first two episodes are a little bit on the rough side (think: Dad just got a video camera) and I've learned a lot during the process. So far our episodes have mainly focused on BBQing/smoking stuff but we plan on brewing and doing more outdoor AK type stuff. It's been a heck of a lot of fun putting it all together. Planning on filming this weekend while I brew a batch and highlight the Kal clone that I built.

Hope you all enjoy the videos.
Episode 1- MOINKs https://youtu.be/61nJueaJdkM
Episode 2- Atomic Buffalo Turds https://youtu.be/o9KmM_QHpwE
Episode 3- Dip Netting / Smoking Salmon https://youtu.be/x9QRM06Q3rM
Episode 4- Championship Ribs https://youtu.be/fLwtBHcEXp0
Episode 5- Burnt Ends https://youtu.be/EBY731tO-Bs

Be sure to subscribe so you won't miss a single exciting episode. Also please share what you like/dislike and what you would like to see. I appreciate the help.

Last edited by kwdriver on Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
rickysa

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subscribed and enjoyed the rib vid! (haven't watched the others yet Mug )

I can't wait to try your method...I usually smoke for several hours then place them in apple juice to steam for awhile, which produces a tasty rib, but one that the bones fall out of.

What are you using as the rub?? (inquiring minds want to know Smile )
kwdriver

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally use Kosmo's stuff and have had great results. My wife and I use to compete in KCBS competitions and have done fairly well. I'm a big fan of Kosmo's Dirty Bird and Killer Bee Chipotle. I believe in the video we also used some Cimmaron Doc's Sweet Rib rub.

I've tried all sorts of methods for doing ribs and this one consistently gets great results. For competitions you are looking to get a clean bite with a little tug on the rib. If you get fall off the bone then you've cooked it too much. Now that's the nice thing about the foil. If your neighbors want fall off the bone then just keep it in the foil a little bit longer and you'll see the meat will really start to pull back from the bone.

Thanks for subscribing. This weekend we'll post a the burnt end episode.
rickysa

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kosmo's Dirty Bird and Killer Bee Chipotle

Just ordered and ready for this weekend...here in NC pig rules the pit, but I'd like to try brisket again..having watched all of Franklin's vids (and read his book), I still haven't achieved the beef version of pulled pork...you?
kwdriver

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brisket is a tough meat to cook. I've done real well a handful of times. Usually if I go with a prime brisket I'll be good to go. I've tried Franklin's butcher paper method and I'm not a big fan. I usually wrap at 160 and keep it in foil until it hit's around 203 or until you can put the thermo-pen through the meat like butter. Usually when I wrap it I throw 2x small cans of heated beef consume into the foil and then cook the brisket top side down just so the meat cooks in the consume. Bark ends up moist but it seems to me you got to choose moist bark or dried out brisket. I like using the Texas Cow Cover on my brisket.

Ribs are by far my best and favorite of the 4 competition meats to cook.
rickysa

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll stick to porky and leave the brisket to visits to Austin...I see you are working on a helles, just picked up my Munich malt yesterday and plan to brew this weekend. Good luck on yours!
kwdriver

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickysa wrote:
I think I'll stick to porky and leave the brisket to visits to Austin...I see you are working on a helles, just picked up my Munich malt yesterday and plan to brew this weekend. Good luck on yours!

That's a safe bet. I would much rather cook ribs, chicken, or pork butts than brisket. A great brisket is something else but at $65 for a choice packer brisket it's not worth the hassle.

Yeah I've got a starter going right now made out of gen3 munich lager yeast. I think I'm actually going to film a lot of the stuff and try to edit it down and make it more an infomercial on my electric brewery. Of course I'll direct people to this website.

Good luck on the brew and be sure to check out this weekend's episode.
kwdriver

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added our latest episode to the list. Learn how to make burnt ends: https://youtu.be/EBY731tO-Bs
rickysa

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question....smoker vs. pellet grill?
kwdriver

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickysa wrote:
Quick question....smoker vs. pellet grill?

Rick I've got a large Big Green Egg and I've also got 2x Stumps vertical feed smokers. http://www.stumpssmokers.com/ I'm really happy with the Stumps (Baby and Stretch). They produce some great BBQ. I use a BBQ Guru (Digi-Q model) temperature controller. Really makes the thing set it and forget it. The pellet smokers are pretty nice in that they usually come with a fairly good temperature controller.

I'm told you don't get as good a smoke at cooler temps as you do at higher temperatures with a pellet cooker. I have never cooked on a pellet smoker so I can't say it is a fact. I do like the versatility that I've got on my vertical feed smokers. I can cold smoke sausage, salmon, and smoke hot and fast BBQ if I want to. It's also nice having all that room for smoking turkeys for Thanksgiving.

Check out what Meathead says about the various types of smokers: http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/smokers/index.html
rickysa

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info...I've got a Trager pellet and a Hasty Bake for steaks, tried the Primo (BGE clone) but hated the explosion of VOCs if you opened the lid (not sure about the BGE w/ VOCs).

Local guy builds grills like Franklin's with an off-set fire box, but I don't know if it would be worth the trouble trying to find hardwood in our land of the pines Crying or Very sad

I've got two racks of ribs in the fridge for the grill tomorrow (your recipe...wife was ecstatic that she could chew the meat off the bones!), and struck out on finding a point for the burnt ends...beef roast going on to be sliced up for sandwiches.

oh, yeah...Kal's Two Hearted on tap for the day Thumbs Up
rickysa

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racks 8 & 9 on today Smile ...confused about the 50/50 margarine/sauce. One stick per ?oz sauce?.....butter?
kwdriver

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just equal parts of each. If you use 1oz of sauce then combine w/ 1oz margarine.
kwdriver

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're now up to 10 videos and a channel trailer.
Check out the caribou burger video. Made some pimento cheese and caramelized onions to top off some tasty caribou burgers. https://youtu.be/VBqsBOg1MNk

Friends keep asking me to make a basic beer brewing video too. We'll see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: